Fans of Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
    Yeah just one example of the really good acting in the show, imo.
    I totally agree with you, my friend.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
      I did really like Young, but his recent actions with Rush and Teleford have turned me very much against him. He'll have a lot of redeeming to do.
      Actually, for me, he's recent actions with Col. Telford and Dr. Rush has made me like his character much better.

What are his options? Regarding Col. Telford, is he supposed to go crying to Gen. O'Neill and complain? Let Col. Telford continue to poison his wife against him? His options are limited. By giving him a beating, he let Col. Telford know that if he doesn't stop his meddling, he'll come back to beat him up again and again, and he won't know when and who's body he'll use to do it.

Regarding Dr. Rush, After Dr. Rush responded "We'll never be done.", allowing Dr. Rush to re-join the Destiny crew would be idiotic. You would have a very smart maniac constantly trying to undermine his authority. Dr. Rush's detrimental actions more than negates any usefulness he may provide.

Speaking from experience, anyone who's not part of the solution is part of the problem. NOT eliminating the problem is not acceptable. If you're unwilling to eliminate them, then you have to give up your position of authority and let someone else lead, because your team will just end up spinning very fast in place and not get anywhere at all.

Comment

I see young as someone that's trying, but he's also wasting so much time and energy dealing with stuff like Rush's constant manipulations and Wray's digs for power that he's distracted from simply being the boss.

I think he's a good enough boss, he's just fighting a 'war' on at least three fronts. survival, dealing with rush, dealing with wray, and whatever else is coming up
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

IVe liked young all along but now after this episode, he is my fav character besides Greer. LONG LIVE COL. YOUNG!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Young is an SG team leader that got command of the Icarus base. From what I got from Air, this was his 'first chance at command', a chance to command a base. Which is good officers points and something that comes few and far between.
            and the Icarus base was likely supposed to be a year long assignment until the 9th chevron was dialed,t eh folks left and then either the base would be reassigned to a more permanent commander or shut down - depending on whether it suceeded or failed.

And so he went from a paper pusher with some field and team leading experience, to trying to keep almost 100 survivors alive.

he's in over his head. and he knows it.

it is very likely, on Icarus, he didn't 'command' the science groups. they likely had free run of the place and Young's people just played security guards and there was little to no tension. It was probably considered a pud assignment for the military folks and they were just there marking time.

Scott, TJ and Greer, i think, were Young's SG team, and they transferred with him, to support him.

I see him as a guy that's in over his head, who now has to control folks that aren't used to being controlled.

he's not perfect and i think he does lack some qualifications for the position, but he's trying.

sigpic

Comment

I love Col.Young!
              I was not to sure at the begining but now i am! in Air he went back for something....do we know what that was?
              in the last few eposides he has really stood up and become who he should be.
              Gen.O'Neill chastised him in Earth for standing down for the position even though he was His first choice....I think this was because of his marraige problems (Jack just might know a bit about having feelings for a teammate!!!! and because he was strong enough to suck it up and get on with being milatary he excepts Young to do the same) ergo i think we have not seen the best of young. He has drawn a line with his wife and Telford his stand is made! Back off or else! It may seem a little brutle to us but these are military guys so brute force is the fall back method everytime!
              He delt with Wray and the IOA perfectly! He was always aware of her secondary goals and gave her enough rope to hang herself. She was left feeling very insecure after her time as leader.
              With Rush well.....he did tell him he was unable to make the hard decisions! Opps i guess he found out the hard way that he (Rush) was wrong!
              When Rush comes back i think we will see him have a newfound respect for Young. Weird that that seems but in Rush's world its dog eat dog. The end justify's the means!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                Telford isn't Young's superior. They are equals.

Young is not a bad man per se. Young probably has a lot more integrity than Rush in any case, and no, neither are perfect. But keep in mind that Young had the humility to step down willingly, once when he gave command of the search over to Scott and two when he ceded control to Wray. So, no, Young isn't some egotistical and murderous control freak that many seem to be portraying him as. He does have some character flaws, his temper being one of them. But you do have to keep in mind all the crap he had to go through as well. Losing one's reputation is not a light thing. what Rush did was to not only undermine his leadership, but effectively portray Young as someone who was not to be trusted. His actions sowed discord and division among the crew (although surprisingly, it doesn't seem like anyone other than Wray was particularly angered that Spencer was dead).

Keep in mind that Rush stranded them on the Destiny in the first place, because of his own selfishness and impatience. He lied to them about the Icarus-like planet, framed Young for murder so that Rush could get unfettered access to the chair. Compared to Young, Rush has done more to negatively affect the crew (besides Young stranding Rush).
                One could be a Colonel(superior and probably Telford) and other is the not so superior Lt Colonel
                Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                  One could be a Colonel(superior and probably Telford) and other is the not so superior Lt Colonel
                  Their both full colonels
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by patsbabe View Post
                    Air he went back for something....do we know what that was?
                    You mean in the gateroom at the Icarus base?
                    That would be the communication stones.
                    If you're referring to a different sequence, please, specify.

With Rush well.....he did tell him he was unable to make the hard decisions! Opps i guess he found out the hard way that he (Rush) was wrong!
                    When Rush comes back i think we will see him have a newfound respect for Young. Weird that that seems but in Rush's world its dog eat dog. The end justify's the means!
                    Yeah, I remember Dr. McKay whinning about the competitiveness in the science field.

Comment

I'll go with the general sentiment that Young is trying, but his decision to maroon Rush was way out of line. I think the fact that the situation got to that point is Young's fault, boiling down to his limited leadership capabilities. What he failed to understand is that Rush isn't some raging maniac who is hellbent on Young's destruction. Rush is someone you can reason with. He doesn't subscribe to the military thinking of "do it because I said so and I outrank you". We saw it in the first few eps when Scott tried to order him around. That kind of leadership, as Rush himself said, is better spared for people who don't know any better.

Young was unwilling (possibly even unable) to engage in an intellectual exchange to actually motivate his reasoning. He instead chose to shout down and cast doubt over Rush at every single opportunity he could get. Even in exchanges where I thought Young was attempting to engage with Rush as another crewmember instead of an imminent traitor, as soon as he gets a response he doesn't expect, he lapses into paranoia taking things personally.

As I see it, there was a key difference in the perception of their current situation which one had hoped Young's leadership sense was keen enough to pick up on. As far as Young is concerned, they are stranded and must get back as soon as possible. As far as Rush is concerned, the original mission is go and they are 'on the clock'. Had Young noticed this, I believe it was well within his ability to reach a compromise with Rush without having to effectively kill him.

Comment

Nope it must have been the Stones! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          Young is an SG team leader that got command of the Icarus base. From what I got from Air, this was his 'first chance at command', a chance to command a base. Which is good officers points and something that comes few and far between.
                          and the Icarus base was likely supposed to be a year long assignment until the 9th chevron was dialed,t eh folks left and then either the base would be reassigned to a more permanent commander or shut down - depending on whether it suceeded or failed.

And so he went from a paper pusher with some field and team leading experience, to trying to keep almost 100 survivors alive.

he's in over his head. and he knows it.

it is very likely, on Icarus, he didn't 'command' the science groups. they likely had free run of the place and Young's people just played security guards and there was little to no tension. It was probably considered a pud assignment for the military folks and they were just there marking time.

Scott, TJ and Greer, i think, were Young's SG team, and they transferred with him, to support him.

I see him as a guy that's in over his head, who now has to control folks that aren't used to being controlled.

he's not perfect and i think he does lack some qualifications for the position, but he's trying.
                          Interesting theory about Youngs team.

Oh and wasn't it like 90 or 85 people??? I would like to think its a hundred people but sam only said 80 plus.
                          sigpic

Comment

It was 80ish people, 82 or whatever, to begin with, but I think saying "almost 100" is relatively on the mark, and something it's not necessary to nit pick on ^_^

As for Young, I find him, on his own, relatively boring. Boo hoo my wife, boo hoo I don't want this boo hoo. There is nothing interesting to him to me, however, his "rivalry" with Rush is on the other hand quite interesting to watch ^^

Comment

sam said 80+ MIA

dunno how many of them made it onto the destiny and how many died on icarus. some were casualites so are lost

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                                I would be shocked if they didn't start romping by seasons end.
                                As others have said, Young is under a lot of stress so he could use a helping hand...
                                sigpic
                                http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Working...
                                X