X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    You don't know that for a fact
    Actually, we do know he doesn't like being challenged... and we do know that his statement was at minimal a psuedo threat.

Thats just the military. They make threats to their subordinates all the time to get them in line. Doesn't mean they were serious
    Who to the what now? I don't know of anyone in the military who would threaten their subordinates with death. That is always serious. And, hell - Wray isn't a subordinate so that even if it were true (which it isn't) it's a moot argument anyway.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
      Who to the what now? I don't know of anyone in the military who would threaten their subordinates with death. That is always serious. And, hell - Wray isn't a subordinate so that even if it were true (which it isn't) it's a moot argument anyway.
      Much as I loathe to agree with a rabid Rush groupie like Deevil, she’s right people in the military don’t get threatened with death to keep them in line. Threats of punishment and stuff bordering on psychical violence can be used, I’ve had a Sergeant Major threaten my unit to “make you run till you collapse” for not obeying an order to his satisfaction, he probably would have done it to, but people in the military aren’t normally threatened with death, that’s frowned upon.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
        If you have never heard or seen Deadwood, how can you possibly know if SGU is anything like it at all? Having watched both shows, I think there are actually quite a few similarities.

I'm reading reviews all the time. I don't recall where but that's what some critics were saying.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Much as I loathe to agree with a rabid Rush groupie like Deevil, she’s right people in the military don’t get threatened with death to keep them in line. Threats of punishment and stuff bordering on psychical violence can be used, I’ve had a Sergeant Major threaten my unit to “make you run till you collapse” for not obeying an order to his satisfaction, he probably would have done it to, but people in the military aren’t normally threatened with death, that’s frowned upon.
          ROFLMAO! That's too funny!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
            I'm reading reviews all the time. I don't recall where but that's what some critics were saying.
            Hang on didn't you say you'd never heard of Deadwood before?
            I've never heard or seen Deadwood
            Yup you did, so perhaps you should make up your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

Thats just the military. They make threats to their subordinates all the time to get them in line. Doesn't mean they were serious
              No, no and no. You don't excuse bullying behaviour with 'That's just the military' because it gives the bullies an out.

But hey, well done on admitting Young's a bully.

Dee hasn't even visited the Rush thread. She's very balanced in her views where the Rabid Rush Groupies are not. To twit ...

Comment

Hang on didn't you say you'd never heard of Deadwood before?

Yup you did, so perhaps you should make up your mind.
                I do a lot of research on the fly.
                When I was talking her before that was true, it's the difference of a day or two.
                I first heard of Deadwood when I looked up reviews for SGU. A critic was comparing it to SGU, That was within a 48 hour period or something like that as I got back to her post.

If I've heard of Deadwood before it didn't stick and even after having Dish for about 6 months I've not seen it on TV so I looked it up and found out it was canceled.

Comment

I do a lot of research on the fly.
                  When I was talking her before that was true, it's the difference of a day or two.
                  I first heard of Deadwood when I looked up reviews for SGU. A critic was comparing it to SGU, That was within a 48 hour period or something like that as I got back to her post.

If I've heard of Deadwood before it didn't stick and even after having Dish for about 6 months I've not seen it on TV so I looked it up and found out it was canceled.
                  And all three series are available. Do yourself a favour.

Comment

So what if it was cancelled?
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Ehh, taking a critics opinion as factual isn't the smartest of ideas. Critics, like us, are quite subjective. if we were to take their opinions as fact, I think I's have to stop watching and enjoying any Stargate series.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                        So what if it was cancelled?
                        Then it may mean that the rating were poor.

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                        And all three series are available. Do yourself a favour.
                        No thanks, I tend not to go with the crowd when it comes to entertainment.
                        I prefer to read anyway.

Comment

I prefer to read anyway.
                          Read the two sentences you wrote here. Deadwoods ratings weren’t very good, because it wasn’t a mainstream show. So how would watching the show be following the crowd? If you’re trying to convince us that your edgy and don’t follow the populist trend, then it probably wasn’t a good idea to do it on a stargate website, which traditionally has relied on popularity for success rather than any sort of critical acclaim. Also for someone who likes to read more than watch tv, you do pick a funny set of series to watch, 16+ seasons so far, 324 episodes, thats rather a lot of tv to watch for someone who prefers to read. I don't think you'd keel over from watching a show that lasted only 36 episodes.

And as repeated by numerous people, ratings do not equal quality, otherwise we’d be looking at Reality TV as the pinnacle of western entertainment.

Comment

Are you suggesting that that means the quality wasn't there? Saying ratings and quality go hand in hand is like saying politicians always have the best interest of their consituants and heart. Neither are true.

I prefer to read anyway.
                            Unfortunately, unless you watch a show that has only aired to you - you are always going 'with a crowd' when it comes to entertainment. I'm not saying you have to follow the popular choice, it's your choice what you like, but there are few things in this world that don't have a crowd of people following them.

This kind of reminds me of fanboys and girls who love a band, actor or TV series and when they become popular they bemoan that popularity and have to smack news fans down by saying "I was a fan of them before they were popular - as if it makes a difference.

Though, like you do also quite enjoy reading. But, doesn't affect my joy of TV and film

Now, before we get smacked down again - back onto the topic of Justice... hmmm?
                            Last edited by Deevil; 30 March 2010, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                              Are you suggesting that that means the quality wasn't there?
                              I'm saying it was canceled and likely didn't have good ratings.

Unfortunately, unless you watch a show that has only aired to you - you are always going 'with a crowd' when it comes to entertainment. I'm not saying you have to follow the popular choice, it's your choice what you like, but there are few things in this world that don't have a crowd of people following them.
                              Theres always a difference for me.
                              At sometimes I may do the same as the crowd, but I'm not with them and I certainly don't follow trends blindly due to popularity.

Now, before we get smacked down again - back onto the topic of Justice... hmmm?
                              Okay,
                              In just ice we have suicide/murder-frame. Why do this so early in the series?

[QUOTE=The Mighty 6 platoon;11348406]Read the two sentences you wrote here. Deadwoods ratings weren’t very good, because it wasn’t a mainstream show.[QUOTE]

I wouldn't know why the show had low ratings.

So how would watching the show be following the crowd?
                              TV is about crowd pleasing. You may have crowd minorities but it's always a crowd.

If you’re trying to convince us that your edgy and don’t follow the populist trend, then it probably wasn’t a good idea to do it on a stargate website, which traditionally has relied on popularity for success rather than any sort of critical acclaim. Also for someone who likes to read more than watch tv, you do pick a funny set of series to watch, 16+ seasons so far, 324 episodes, thats rather a lot of tv to watch for someone who prefers to read. I don't think you'd keel over from watching a show that lasted only 36 episodes.
                              Wow, sir, just so many assumptions here,
                              This is what I don't get about TV.
                              At times it shows great stories but so far like SGU these stories are rushed and underdeveloped and frequently structureless. To me it's like someone is trying to give you there imagination. But I have my own imagination and it's frequently better the directs and writers on TV, It just seems so, limited.

I joined this forum 3 or 4 years after SGA started. There was amazing potential in SGA a sense of grandeur a show often doesn't have the opportunity to live up to. It seemed Sci Fi in the Face of the Stargate series and BSG (even though it wasn't my taste) was on a upward trend of "Imagining Greater"

I see now getting Dish Network just for the Sy Fy Channel was big mistake of epic proportions. Their average show is poorly thought out wastes of time. SGU is reflecting that to some extent. It doesn't look as bad as "Dinoshark" and many of the other shows but it's coming off as just as unimaginative.

I thought this show was going to be leaps and bounds better.
                              Some good has come from paid Television, Football and Basketball channels as well as the discovery channel are well worth 50 bucks a month w/ HD. So it's not a complete loss but this is the longest I've ever given a series to shape it up (a full season) But it was you guys at the outset that said, "give it a chance", So am here, following it and more I'm here on this forum analyzing every detail (which is what this place allows you to do) the more I don't like it, the more inconsistency I find, the more contrivances I find and I'm finding far less story.

I have the suspicion that I'm not going to be around the SGU threads much longer.
                              All I'm really doing here is just irritating the people that love the show by pointing this stuff out.

Comment

I'm saying it was canceled and likely didn't have good ratings.
                                I can't quite remember what the ratings were... but given a good chunk of series are canceled I don't necessarily attribute lack of quality to ratings and cancelations.

Theres always a difference for me.
                                At sometimes I may do the same as the crowd, but I'm not with them and I certainly don't follow trends blindly due to popularity.
                                I don't think many people do. If I did that I would be watching far more reality TV...

Okay,
                                In just ice we have suicide/murder-frame. Why do this so early in the series?
                                Why not do it so early in the series? I can't comment too greatly on the why's because it's a storyline very much tbc, and well - I've just finished work and it's 7am. Brain fried.

I have the suspicion that I'm not going to be around the SGU threads much longer.
                                All I'm really doing here is just irritating the people that love the show by pointing this stuff out.
                                No, the problem isn't you pointing out what you perceive to be issues. The problem is when people only ever complain about what they aren't getting from the show it makes it difficult to engage in a conversation (this isn't directed at you per say). It's hard to understand if you (the universal you) don't like it, why you have to run around to multiple threads to complain about what you don't like about it.

So yeah, but the complaints about how horrible the show is/why it's fantastic probably doesn't belong in an episode thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X