This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    While normally I would let it slide, I want to ask you to please spoiler tag stuff like this. You casually revealed a major plot point that I was on the edge of my seat waiting to be resolved. But now I know how it turns out <_<

Thanks.
    I don't see it that way. Sorry. When you come to the forums, it is obvious you are going to read these things. Casting news are not spoilers. If I said TJ will die next season ,then thats' a spoiler.
    sigpic

Comment

That's what I absolutely loved about 24. It's the only show I can think of, where TRULY nobody but Jack Bauer was safe. Main cast characters died all the time, almost every season.
      BSG had a nice kill count out of the recurring characters, especially in the last season. Angel did great with killing main characters too - one in the ninth episode! Also Lost ditched at least one main character every season... There're a lot of shows that do this.

Unfortunately for SGU, the show's got a great cast that would feel odd if someone got cut out. Young Vs Rush Vs Wray needs to stick around for the duration, Chloe and Eli are the audience viewpoint kids (Translation: die horribly later on?), Scott just strikes me as the "Young Guy" who'll survive the whole thing, killing Greer would be pulling another Ford (Only worse, 'cause Greer has a lot more personality that works well with the show) and killing TJ would kill our best doe-eyes on the cast.
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
        BSG had a nice kill count out of the recurring characters, especially in the last season. Angel did great with killing main characters too - one in the ninth episode! Also Lost ditched at least one main character every season... There're a lot of shows that do this.

Unfortunately for SGU, the show's got a great cast that would feel odd if someone got cut out. Young Vs Rush Vs Wray needs to stick around for the duration, Chloe and Eli are the audience viewpoint kids (Translation: die horribly later on?), Scott just strikes me as the "Young Guy" who'll survive the whole thing, killing Greer would be pulling another Ford (Only worse, 'cause Greer has a lot more personality that works well with the show) and killing TJ would kill our best doe-eyes on the cast.
        True, true. BSG was an exception, though. In season 4, they knew it was their last season before they even filmed it since they ended the series on Moore's terms, they didn't get canceled. So they could do as they wished with characters like Cally and such. Before that, they never really killed anyone of the main cast. Ellen wasn't a main character, but was as close as it gets.

24 killed main characters like, for the whole duration of the show. The only example I can think of, is imagine if early in SG-1, when Hammond gives the Air Medal to Carter, if Carter ended up being a doppelganger and suddenly shot Hammond in the chest just as he handed her the medal. That's the kind of WTF moment that REALLY makes you want to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Stranded View Post
          And have the death of a long-time friend on your conscience? I doubt it.
          Never said i would feel good about it but i sure as hell would do it

McKay: Crap.
          Hermiod: What did you do?
          McKay: I just ran it through a translation program. It's Wraith.
          Hermiod: Crap, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            I'd agree with the "leader making a mistake" if it were a simple mistake anyone could make. Like forgetting to lock down the doors because he thought venting the atmosphere would beat them. But this isn't Napoleon at Waterloo making a tactical error, Young had a complete lack of backup plans which i found ridiculous. A layered defense isn't a hard concept.Hell my five year old cousin one ambushed me with a water bucket on top of a door FFS. It could be as simple as coating the floor with grease/oil and the LA suddenly can't maneuver properly so the venting could take effect. They can wash the grease/oil off later, it's not like they're using the gate that very instant.

He's a Full Bird Colonel. If everyday joes see those options and would go for them, how much more would a full bird colonel with combat experience know? How much redundancy does the military do when running an operation?
            I completely aggre with u its not hard to make a couple of backup plans even...

Young realy needs to DIE

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
              That's what I absolutely loved about 24. It's the only show I can think of, where TRULY nobody but Jack Bauer was safe. Main cast characters died all the time, almost every season. You couldn't possibly know who was going to survive or die, because unlike Stargate or other shows, 24 show runners were never afraid to kill anyone and nobody was safe. And heck, they were pretty damn creative when it came to ways to kill main characters off (Curtis Manning. Omg.). It's fun to see red shirts die, but it's simply not the same.
              Agree 100%... But you probably should put spoiler tags for the Curtis Manning thing for those who haven't seen it yet.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
                True, true. BSG was an exception, though. In season 4, they knew it was their last season before they even filmed it since they ended the series on Moore's terms, they didn't get canceled. So they could do as they wished with characters like Cally and such. Before that, they never really killed anyone of the main cast. Ellen wasn't a main character, but was as close as it gets.

24 killed main characters like, for the whole duration of the show. The only example I can think of, is imagine if early in SG-1, when Hammond gives the Air Medal to Carter, if Carter ended up being a doppelganger and suddenly shot Hammond in the chest just as he handed her the medal. That's the kind of WTF moment that REALLY makes you want to come back.
                Even BSG didn't kill off main characters. Adama and Kara were there all the way through from start to finish. People like Cally were recurring characters not main ones
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  I was amazed they made it better than the siege pt2.. At least with that one, we knew hope was on the way.
                  Get real it was lame since at least there looked like there was some hope in atlantis, here its 0 hope and Young... well im not even gonna bother with its since it would be like **** every other word... BIG LETDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Even BSG didn't kill off main characters. Adama and Kara were there all the way through from start to finish. People like Cally were recurring characters not main ones
                    I worded that wrong. When I said "characters like Cally and such" I meant minor characters. They killed a bunch of those, Racetrack, Skulls, Boomer, etc etc. They pretty much were the Brody, Park and Volker of BSG, not as present as that particular trio, but they served as a great group of secondary characters that kept coming back.

Like I said, 24 is the only show I can remember where truly nobody was off-limits. They killed THREE main cast characters in season 8, and killed one at least every season. To me, it's more realistic because the heroes weren't invincible, they could make a mistake, take a bullet and die. Even Jack rarely got out of trouble without great suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by Utitan View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Telford is cast in every episode of season 2 that I checked out.. Which would make up a good leadership duo between Young and Telford. One would compliment the others shortfalls and makes for an excellent full circle writing.
                      Spoiler:

After Youngs ****up????
                      Telford is easy taking over or im just gonna stop watching stargate

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I don't count that as killing off a main character due to chickening out and reviving them. Killing off a main character means they stay no resurrection machines
                        Sure it count unless you bring them back 1 or 2 episodes later. Their death was consumed, grief over done. Who cares if they bring a character death at the beginning of season 2 in the middle of season 3 (in an alternate form nevertheless)?

If Young dies at the beginning of season 2 and they bring him back in season 3 as an ascended ghost for one episode. It only had layers to his death which is real nevertheless.
                        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

No, I've gotta agree with jelgate on this one, Dead is Dead.

It's true that maybe the first time you kill somene (only to bring them back later) it's effective. But it's all downhill from there.

You don't go through the stages of loss in a show that constantly brings charecter's back because you never get past denial. "Yea they're dead, but they'll probably be back so I don't have to feel bad about it."

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
                            No, I've gotta agree with jelgate on this one, Dead is Dead.

It's true that maybe the first time you kill somene (only to bring them back later) it's effective. But it's all downhill from there.

You don't go through the stages of loss in a show that constantly brings charecter's back because you never get past denial. "Yea they're dead, but they'll probably be back so I don't have to feel bad about it."
                            *Coughs* Daniel. *Coughs*

Comment

I didn't think that much of part 1 tbh, but when this finished I was practically shouting "NOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T END IT LIKE THIS" at my screen, i loved it, so much going on and practically every major character in mortal peril, brilliant.

Is it october yet?

Comment

For the record, that bald Lucian Alliance guy was much less mean and cruel when he was an Ori prior in SG-1's Beachhead episode. Not only did he not ascend, but he re-incarnated as a bald guy in a scavenger organization. I bet that wasn't mentioned in the brochure when he signed on with the Ori.

Comment

Working...
                                X