Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dialing into the LA planet to prevent a dial out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They knew about that they were planning to dial destiny so 1st logical step should be dialing them to prevent dial out.

In case this blocked 2nd obvious option would be: stop on the planet which is on the way to destination, pick up stargates (this wouldn't take more than few seconds) and once you are at 2nd icarus planet dial gates from orbit so they couldn't dial out too. (ghould's were doing that) so come on? That's the big mistake by SGC!
    The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post
      They knew about that they were planning to dial destiny so 1st logical step should be dialing them to prevent dial out.

In case this blocked 2nd obvious option would be: stop on the planet which is on the way to destination, pick up stargates (this wouldn't take more than few seconds) and once you are at 2nd icarus planet dial gates from orbit so they couldn't dial out too. (ghould's were doing that) so come on? That's the big mistake by SGC!
      I really don't think it is. This mission was a "Time is of the essence, seconds count" kind of situation. They needed to get there quickly. Not stop by some planet that has a Stargate they don't need, beam it up, get it set-up in a room big enough to hold it. Hook it to the ship's power systems. Set up a dialing system.

They needed to hoof it to the planet.
      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

The gate on Icarus had been modified so that it didn't accept incoming wormholes for safety reasons, presumably the Lucian Alliance would have done the same with theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
          You are misremembering. Carter states that part of the problem with setting up Midway was the Pegasus Gate would always supersede the Milky Way Gate, and that they needed to make a workaround for it to prevent that problem. The Wraith hadn't dialed anywhere, as witnessed, Rodney, Ronon, Teyla and Lorne were able to gate to the ship.
          A bit OT:

Spoiler:
          From "Enemy at the Gate" - the hive ship was blocking earth's gate:

(Walter Harriman walks over to Sam.)

HARRIMAN: 'Scuse me, Colonel.

CARTER: What is it, Walter?

HARRIMAN: We've been trying to dial up the Alpha site to send through those I.O.A. dignitaries ...

DAVIS (sarcastically): Typical I.O.A. – courageous to the end(!)

(Sam smiles in agreement, then turns back to Walter.)

CARTER: What's the problem?

HARRIMAN: Can't establish a lock. And it's not just the Alpha site. I've already tried a couple of alternates but for some reason the Gate's offline.

ATLANTIS. Radek has done his recalibrations and the Stargate kawhooshes. Richard walks into the Control Room and speaks to Amelia.

WOOLSEY: Open a channel.

(Amelia types, then looks at Richard.)

WOOLSEY: Stargate Command, this is Atlantis. ... Stargate Command, this is Atlantis, do you read?

BANKS: Comm system is operating, sir. They're just not responding.

McKAY (looking at his console): OK, this is weird. I'm picking up an energy signature feeding back through the wormhole. It's Wraith.

WOOLSEY: The Wraith are at Stargate Command?!

McKAY: No. These readings are more like something you'd pick up in the middle of a Hive.

WOOLSEY: But we dialled Earth.

ZELENKA: You don't think that ...

McKAY: Standard Wraith procedure. Keep your victims from dialing out.

WOOLSEY: What are you talking about?

McKAY: There's a Gate on the Hive!

WOOLSEY: What?!

McKAY: The Wraith always try to block the Gate of a planet they're attacking, usually by dialling in. They couldn't do that in this case so they came up with another solution.

ZELENKA: You see, when two Gates are in proximity, one supersedes the other. Usually it's the default Gate – unless it happens to be a Milky Way model and the other one's from Pegasus.

McKAY: We encountered exactly the same problem on the Midway Station. We had to create a work-around to prevent the Pegasus Gate from always taking precedence.

WOOLSEY: You're telling me that wormhole ... (he turns and looks at the Gate) ...

McKAY: ... leads directly onto the Hive.

(Richard turns back and looks at him thoughtfully. Rodney's eyes widen.)

the team destroys the hive, thus allowing earth's gate to be used again.

Comment

i think that Universe takes place 6 months after EATG cause according to Joe Mallozzi the special mission that the odyssey was on was to find the icarus planet (P4X-351).

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              i think that Universe takes place 6 months after EATG cause according to Joe Mallozzi the special mission that the odyssey was on was to find the icarus planet (P4X-351).
              Why would that be so super secret that Caldwell would be kept out of the loop on it?

Perfecto!

Comment

They could not beam the stargate OUT because of the shielding...otherwise they could beam Rush/Telford out.

It's not even certain that bringing another stargate into orbit would have had any effect. The destiny address is a code rather than cooridinates. It may allow the stargate to dial out regardless of proximity to another active stargate.

Comment

It's not even certain that bringing another stargate into orbit would have had any effect. The destiny address is a code rather than cooridinates. It may allow the stargate to dial out regardless of proximity to another active stargate.
                  Earth couldn't dial the Alpha site because of the Pegasus gate on the Wraith ship.

I don't understand why the writers wouldn't employ gates on ships. It's a perfect way to transport personnel and they could set up (SG-1 Season 10 mid season two parter) The Quest system to transport all personnel off the ship in a worst case scenario.

Comment

I would imagine like people have said there are safe guards preventing a dial-in.

Wouldn't that suck if you spent all this time and resource into this project and then some random farmer from another planet wants to establish a bean trade with your planet and BOOM!
                    " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
                    - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      I don't remember Joe saying that.

However, I do remember him saying that Air took place a week or so after EATG. That's why they had to take the hot-off-the-presses Hammond to get to Icarus instead of using the other ships, as they were still heavily damaged by the EATG battles.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        gate adresses ARE coordinates. if you have coordinates, the adress can be calculated, if you have an adress, coordinates can be calculated.

however since the LA stole pretty much all of earth's tech from the looks of it, they probably figured out how to prevent dialling in. even Kiva got there by ship, not stargate
                        But why could they not have used the "Wraith's Tactic" and have a gate on the Hammond, which dialed out somewhere.

Wasn't exclusively a trademark of the Wraith, the Goa'uld did it in a few episodes too
                        I cannot remember any episodes they did that, other than when they went after the Tok'Ra in season 4 iirc.

I really don't think it is. This mission was a "Time is of the essence, seconds count" kind of situation. They needed to get there quickly. Not stop by some planet that has a Stargate they don't need, beam it up, get it set-up in a room big enough to hold it. Hook it to the ship's power systems. Set up a dialing system.
                        Then they could have beamed up the SGC's gate, and dialed out to the Alpha site once they got there...

Comment

The goa'ould used that tactic in the season 1 finale.

Comment

I agree with PG15. I think it's much more likley that 'AIR' will probably take place in the next two or three weeks or so after 'EATG', as in the 'Air Force Training Video's' i'm pretty sure Daniel mentions something like:

Spoiler:
                            "The first six symbols were found and Icarus Base was established on a planet discovered two-years ago whcih has an extreamly powerful core".
                            This seams to mean that the base had probably been operational for at least a year, but the team had only been there around six-months (which is mentioned multiple times throughout the seriees).
                            This is also backed up in 'HUMAN' & 'SABOTAGE' when it is revealed that Rush was brought into the project around two years before 'AIR'. His team (Amanda Perry etc.) were working on how to tie the gate into the planets core for power without blowing everything up when they would dial-out, which is why incoming wormholes are so dangerous. They would probably connect, but the energy produced by the gate would cause a huge reaction in the core, just as incoming fire from Ships/Gliders/302's does, which is we couldn't dial in in 'INCURSION' withouth destroying the planet itself, The Hammond and Rush/Telford. Look at all the power that was transferred through the Destiny gate in both 'AIR' & 'INCURSION'. The latter time even Destinie's systems were disrupted. As the core becomes more and more unstable, a lot of that enrgy is pumped into the only viable 'escape route', the gate, whcih explains why when connected to Destiny via an Icarus type planet people who walk/scramble through the Stargate are thrown three or four yards.

In spoilers to keep the reply small.
                            Last edited by MrMann101; 06 June 2010, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              But why could they not have used the "Wraith's Tactic" and have a gate on the Hammond, which dialed out somewhere.
                              Wouldn't they need time to calibrate the gate to that specific location in space?

Comment

They never even knew there was a gate on the planet until they got there, and even then they had no idea they were trying to dial Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X