Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did Scott Ever Pass Military Training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    TM6P,

Why was Young commanding a single gun emplacement anyway? Shouldn't he have been corrdinating the overall defense from some sort of CiC center with mid level officers in charge of the individual points of defense?

An admiral wouldn't command the individual ship on which he places his flag the ships capitan would. The command of the fleet would be for the admiral.
    limitied military personel
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Jelgate,

With the budget they had for Icarus why are there limited military personel available to defend the base? That seems odd.
      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

TM6P,

Why was Young commanding a single gun emplacement anyway? Shouldn't he have been corrdinating the overall defense from some sort of CiC center with mid level officers in charge of the individual points of defense?

An admiral wouldn't command the individual ship on which he places his flag the ships capitan would. The command of the fleet would be for the admiral.
        maybe it's part of Young's makeup to be right there in the middle? Just speculation because it hasn't been fleshed out any better, but it did put him in a place to be where he ended up
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Right from the get-go, Young has always led from the front. The attack on Icarus Base is no exception to this.

Also, the admiral analogy is incorrect. Admirals are O-7 and up; Young is an O-6, equivalent to a ship's captain.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Jelgate,

With the budget they had for Icarus why are there limited military personel available to defend the base? That seems odd.
            It seems standard given past Stargate bases. The cost of Icarus was directed towards researching the 9th chevron
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Cory,

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
              Right from the get-go, Young has always led from the front. The attack on Icarus Base is no exception to this.

Also, the admiral analogy is incorrect. Admirals are O-7 and up; Young is an O-6, equivalent to a ship's captain.
              Well, then please allow me to construct a better analogy. Would it be proper for the Captain of a ship to be focused on one particular gun turret rather than fighting with the entire ship?
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Cory,

Well, then please allow me to construct a better analogy. Would it be proper for the Captain of a ship to be focused on one particular gun turret rather than fighting with the entire ship?
                But from his position he can observe the battle and give orders, something he couldn't do inside the mountain. While he could have been in the base and tried to give orders there, it wouldn't have done much good in this case, a commander would need to have eyes on of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  Err, it's Scott's job to question his superior if he thinks he's about to commit illegal actions. It's his duty to stop him. Please actually know something about the military before jumping to conclusions.
                  Amen
                  sigpic

Comment

TM6P,

Yes, but under fire he has a harder time directing the overall response to the attack. I understand leading from the front. I simply question it's utility. A friend's Dad was a Major in the U.S.M.C. During Vietnam he wouldn't allow his platoon leaders to carry rifles. His logic was simple. If they are doing their job, directing their forces in attack or defense, they will not need one. If things go south there will be plenty of rifles for them to pick up if necessary.

Comment

I think the real question is, How did Greer pass? I swear he would have strangled someone while at bootcamp out of unbridled rage

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                        I think the real question is, How did Greer pass? I swear he would have strangled someone while at bootcamp out of unbridled rage
                        That's unfair. We've seen before that Greer, for the most part, has his "unbridled" rage under control and is perfectly willing to follow orders from officers he doesn't like. But when he does find an officer he likes, such as Young, he'll do anything asked of him without question or hesitation.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

he banged his drill sargent
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                            He obviously didn't. Greer is a hardass, no doubt, but unbridled rage is quite a stretch.
                            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

TM6P,

Yes, but under fire he has a harder time directing the overall response to the attack. I understand leading from the front. I simply question it's utility. A friend's Dad was a Major in the U.S.M.C. During Vietnam he wouldn't allow his platoon leaders to carry rifles. His logic was simple. If they are doing their job, directing their forces in attack or defense, they will not need one. If things go south there will be plenty of rifles for them to pick up if necessary.
                              I don't see Young blazing away with his UMP, I see him observing the battlespace and communicating on the radio. The best data on a battlefield is your own eyes, you need to see what's going on. Whether you're carrying a rifle or not has very little to do with it, your friends dad would go against current Marine doctrine which I believe who started issuing rifles to all ranks from colonel and below. Same is true in the British Army, but as I said that's beside the point.

Whether it's a section, platoon, company or battalion commander the good leader won't be firing his weapon much, but he will try and get eyes on the situation and be busy controlling their personnel. The rifle is there for personnel defence and arguably people prefer rifles because they're better weapons than pistols and the like. Young himself doesn't carry a rifle, he carries a sub machine gun, a less effective but smaller and lighter weapon, allowing him freedom to move around and direct the situation.

Comment

TM6P,

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                                I don't see Young blazing away with his UMP, I see him observing the battlespace and communicating on the radio. The best data on a battlefield is your own eyes, you need to see what's going on. Whether you're carrying a rifle or not has very little to do with it, your friends dad would go against current Marine doctrine which I believe who started issuing rifles to all ranks from colonel and below. Same is true in the British Army, but as I said that's beside the point.

Whether it's a section, platoon, company or battalion commander the good leader won't be firing his weapon much, but he will try and get eyes on the situation and be busy controlling their personnel. The rifle is there for personnel defence and arguably people prefer rifles because they're better weapons than pistols and the like. Young himself doesn't carry a rifle, he carries a sub machine gun, a less effective but smaller and lighter weapon, allowing him freedom to move around and direct the situation.
                                Fair enough. My point about the rifle was less about carrying the wrong weapon and more about what a platoon leader, company or base commander should be doing with their time. My reading of your post suggests you agree. I do wonder why, for a base commander, being out among the tracers is better than being in a CiC with good tactical information and less chance of getting your head blown off. If nothing else not having a realatively safe CiC center seems like poor planning and design.

Comment

Working...
                                X