This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abiron View Post
    Without getting into the incompetence or lack thereof of Young, there are a couple of things I'd like to point out:

1. Venting the gateroom before or even during the LA arrival would have done little, if anything. Atmosphere from the other end of the gate would have been sucked through the wormhole into the Destiny's gateroom, which would have continued until the gate connection shut down.

2. The LA know a lot more about Destiny than even Rush, apparently. What we know about the LA indicates that they would only want the ship if there was something of value to be gained from taking it over, and taking that something back to the Milky Way. I would be very surprised if they didn't have some idea of how to get home.

3. It seems obvious to me that the "mysterious force" that's playing havoc with the ship is Franklin. Destiny stopped because of the incoming wormhole, just as it did in Air, but something prevented the ship from re-entering FTL once the gate connection was terminated. Something killed the LA goon with the lockpick by attenuating the shield energy in the gap in the hull. And someting is messing with the systems and preventing either faction from regaining control. My guess is that the chair allowed Franklin to interface with the ship, perhaps mentally, and that it's taking him some time to get his brain around it. He managed to leave the chair room and find someplace to let it happen. I would not be surprised if Eli and Chloe find Franklin on the Destiny's real Bridge, doing what he can to protect the ship and his people. With Eli's help, he'll be able to do so.

Just my 0.02.
    1) Has already been addressed.

2) I thought the same thing. Why would the LA be in such a hurry to take control of Destiny unless they had a way to establish wormhole contact with the Milky Way Galaxy. I can't imagine all those people would be willing to strand themselves indefinitely on Destiny. Maybe they think there is a way to repair the ship so it can utilize the energy in the stars when it refuels? I would be very surprised if your supposition isn't correct.

3) I agree that the likeliest explanation for what happened is Franklin and it would tie into why Eli and Chloe are where they are. Why would the writers have them end up in an unexplored part of the ship if not to discover something.

As an aside Chloe needs medical attention very soon. If they don’t stop the bleeding right away she is history and from my First Aid training a person can only have a tourniquet on a leg for about 30 minutes; afterwards she would likely have to have it amputated. I bring this up because given the battle currently going on and TJ’s capture I don’t see how she could receive proper medical care in time. Maybe they will discover some form of automated medical facility? Although, I doubt the show will adhere to medical accuracy so they will probably stretch the time frame for a full recovery.

Unfortunately, I don't think most of these questions will be answered until next season.
    Last edited by Blackhole; 08 June 2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Rush had just framed him for murder. I have a hard beliving his word
      Then as Ellie pointed out, believe O'Neill's and Young's own words, as they discussed in Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        Great episode.
        -I hope the baby survives. It's the one character on the show I really care about.
        -I love Destinklin! Er... Frankliny! Whatever. Nice job microwaving a bad guy.
        -I'm a bit shocked that Young didn't vent the atmosphere from the get-go. Killing people who're obviously coming to kill you is a decision even Wray'd make.
        -The firefight seemed a bit ridiculous.
        -Young killed Rush AND Telford. Talk about a two for one deal! Nice reference to early SG-1 with the mind control death off-switch.
        -Eli carrying his BFF. Aww.
        -Eli 'accidentally' ending up in a section of the ship no doubt holding some massive secret... Hmph. It's a bit forced, but I'll work with it.
        -Why on Lantea would the Lucian Alliance want a rickety old barge on the other side of the universe? Kiva had better have a dang good explanation. Maybe they're religious fanatics who worship the Ancients. Hmm. Nah. That was the Sodan. You better come good with an explanation, Kiva!

Can't wait for the finale!
        Couldn't agree more! LOL on the microwave bit!
        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Sean D. writes: “What if they vented the gateroom and the neighboring corridors *before* the stargate even activated so there would be zero air the moment L.A. stepped through; have an armed military person in a spacesuit hiding behind something, ready to retrieve Telford (perhaps even rig a mini-breathing apparatus from one of the spacesuits to offer Telford); thus leaving L.A. to die? Would that have been a feasible option?”

Answer: They step through. Everyone’s fighting for breath. Our suited soldier moves over to retrieve Telford. A Lucian Alliance member – or several – open fire and kill Telford and possibly damage the suit (remember, those suits are damn old and didn’t take much to damage one in Water). Wouldn’t it be easier to give them the opportunity to surrender and, if they don’t, just vent the gate room? Again, you’re operating with the knowledge that they possess technology that will allow them to open the doors. Young didn’t.

duneknight writes: “i wouldve just had a few armed men shoot the incoming enemy, they even couldve used that balcony.”

Answer: And the Lucian Alliance shoot back and your men are wounded and/or killed.

Darren Duncan writes: “I have a prediction to make regarding “Incursion, Part 1″. I predict that ever since the Destiny came out of FTL, it has been in some proximity to a black hole or some other star with an accretion disk, and that the thing which vaporized the Alliance person was a gamma-ray burst or other kind of narrow-beam radiation from said object. The ship’s hull may have generally protected the occupants from this, but the vaporized person was standing under a gap in the hull, under shields barely not strong enough to keep in the air, never mind strong radiation. If this is the case, they may get hit multiple times as the star/etc rotates. This star may also be unexpected, which may explain why the Destiny’s countdown clock stopped, as it did with the “new” planet. Anyway, that’s my thought for a “real science” explanation. We’ll see at the end of the week if it was true.”

Answer: Now THAT is an interesting theory. Let’s discuss this weekend.

jinx writes: “What was the reasoning behind Col Young’s decision not to use deadly force?”

Answer: Venting the atmosphere to a sealed off section IS deadly force.
          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...t-and-mailbag/
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Shouldn't the Hammond be helping out in the Gulf? sorry...just find it kinda interesting to think what if 5% of things in Stargate were true, how things would be different, sorry for being a downer.

Comment

Well, it was a good episode. I can't believe that Telford isn't an idiot anymore.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

This episode was fantastic! Although I still enjoyed the last episode more, SGU is starting to heal itself and erase many of its mistakes. Lucian Alliance FTW!

Comment

1. Jack! Sam! Guys, we go way back! What happened to "we don't leave our people behind"? Back in the day we saw Jack make plenty of similar calls to what Young just did.

2. Telford's a solid ally now.

3. Best guess is that Riley's responsible for taking out the LA guy.

4. Have to admit, I'm worried about Chloe.

Looks like SGU's ending on a high though.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Regarding young and his command decisions I remember reading something in his breakdown.
                    Spoiler:
                    40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      Regarding young and his command decisions I remember reading something in his breakdown.
                      Spoiler:
                      40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive.
                      Read: has turned into micromanager.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                        Read: has turned into micromanager.
                        I already knew that he was a control freak.

Comment

exactly

Spoiler:
                          they've kept him very true to that and I respect that
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I already knew that he was a control freak.
                            Yeah, but for once I thought I might try this thing I heard about called 'being diplomatic'. Methinks I failed at this. Oh well.

Comment

glad everyone likes Young again, coz people were really mean to him.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                                glad everyone likes Young again, coz people were really mean to him.
                                *snorks* there are days when it gets a little thick
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X