Rush - What is he really after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
    Rodney of all people did could have Ascended if he wanted to at one point. Didn't Atlantis figure out how to do it ?
    That was because of a machine that was changing him *physically*. Our bodies haven't evolved physically enough to do ascension normally; we need help. Perhaps Rush thinks that, Destiny is a good stepping stone toward that goal, since it comes from a point where the Ancients were still more advanced than us, but not enough for ascension, either.

As for my take, Rush is just after knowledge. Studying the 9th chevron, his life's work, cost him being there for his wife's passing. He wants to make his work count for something know, he's desperate. But he doesn't want anyone else getting close, because he doesn't want to risk losing them like his wife. And he probably holds out some small hope he can figure out ascension, to leave the cares of physical mortals behind.

Comment

To learn all about the Destiny he can. Its what he did instead of being with his dying wife. Since she is dead I think his work is all Rush has left
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post
        You do know that Eli is Wallace, right?
        WHAT! Wallace? All this time I thought Wallace was the other tech guy....

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
          WHAT! Wallace? All this time I thought Wallace was the other tech guy....
          haha nope Wallace is Eli's last name. I don't even think any other tech guys were on that planet. Maybe brody

Comment

LOL at the Wallace thing. We don't get to hear his last name very often. As in "Mr. Wallace here thinks..." Sounds odd.

Volker was also there on the planet. First to exhibit symptoms of the illness I think.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              To learn all about the Destiny he can. Its what he did instead of being with his dying wife. Since she is dead I think his work is all Rush has left
              I think it's a bit more than that - he wasn't there for her at the end because the work was so important, so now she's dead if he doesn't see it through then it will have been meaningless. IIRC, she says something along those lines in Human.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                I think it's a bit more than that - he wasn't there for her at the end because the work was so important, so now she's dead if he doesn't see it through then it will have been meaningless. IIRC, she says something along those lines in Human.
                I pretty much said that just not so explained
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I pretty much said that just not so explained
                  Fair enough
                  sigpic

Comment

If he wasn't there when his wife died because he was working on the Icarus project, maybe he told to himself that that project had to end up worthy enough to excuse the fact he wasn't there. If the the planet exploded and he accepted the fact that the project wasn't going to happen, that'd mean he wasn't there when his wife died for absolutely nothing. That's a good reason to me to explain how he is acting generally.

Comment

Originally posted by flipper_gv View Post
                      If he wasn't there when his wife died because he was working on the Icarus project, maybe he told to himself that that project had to end up worthy enough to excuse the fact he wasn't there. If the the planet exploded and he accepted the fact that the project wasn't going to happen, that'd mean he wasn't there when his wife died for absolutely nothing. That's a good reason to me to explain how he is acting generally.
                      Not to me. I really hope there's more to it. But since he mentioned ascension to be the reason why he is there. There's probably more to it.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I don't think he is really after anything. After his wife's death he became obsessed with his work which was connecting with the 9th chevron. It is probably all that gave his life meaning. When the base was attacked he realized this may be his last chance to do so, so he did without regard to the consequences to everyone else. His action is part of the whole callousness thing Human referred to.

Comment

Bravo, i agree.

Comment

The only way Rush can save his wife is by ascending, going back in time, then curing his wife mother genetic disorder. Using a time machine just brings him back, it doesnt cure her.

Hes a man with a plan and he showed us hes ready to go at great lengths to make sure he succeeds. He knows the power an ascended being can have, and only one regret in his life to try to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
                              Does anyone else think it's plausible that Rush has a motivation similar to Malakai from "Window of Opportunity"? Perhaps it seems unlikely that this was his motivation upon leaving Icarus through the gate; but maybe now that he's on Destiny.... I mean, he knows an awful lot about the Ancients and obviously has a great deal of reverence for their abilities. Maybe he's hoping he'll find a way to 'turn back time', as it were, and get his wife back?
                              It maybe a little bit like Annorax in ST: VOY as well (i.e. "Year of Hell")....
                              Good cal back to SG1. While i do see him as that type of scientist, we hve seen from many other TT eps where things like that can go back.

Perhaps he thinks he can find a way to get his wife back that way?
                              Maybe he feels if he IS ascended he could go back and save her.. but then that would force the others to decend him.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                                The only way Rush can save his wife is by ascending, going back in time, then curing his wife mother genetic disorder. Using a time machine just brings him back, it doesnt cure her.

Hes a man with a plan and he showed us hes ready to go at great lengths to make sure he succeeds. He knows the power an ascended being can have, and only one regret in his life to try to fix.
                                Rush would also know that ascended beings have very strict rules about interfering in human affairs particularly personal ones. I understand your assertion I just don't think it is his plan to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X