Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finally watched the episode today. I really enjoyed it! Some of my favorite moments were the dialogue between Chloe and Eli (several times), as well as the cinematography of the episode itself. The story was told in a really interesting way, and the style of SGU filming and such really enhanced it.

Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
      -the parts with Daniel and Rush (I have the feeling that the ship (Destiny) was talking to Rush and take the shape of Daniel to communicate with him)
      Like a few others, the whole "we interfaced a laptop, there will be a door..." not particularly impressed that that was just pulled out of the plot device bum. But like you I thought, not just Daniel but all the characters directing him towards his wife was the ship, an AI, or whatever communicating with him. Trying to let him know he wouldn't be able to find the knowledge he was looking for until he put down the burdens he was carrying. Like Oma might have, it seemed like an Ancienty thing to do.

Comment

this is really the first episode of the season were I really enjoyed EVERYTHING! superb episode, and Carlyles acting is awesome, is it true that theres gonna be a two week pause?
        sigpic

Comment

The music - Bach's Partita for Violin No. 2, "was written in memory of Bach's first wife", according to the article on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partita...._2_%28Bach%29

Well-played on the part of the writer(s). Good episode by the way.

Comment

While Rush was in chair I really think Destiny was communicating with him instead of just telling him but was not very good at communication as i think Rush had to fill in the blanks with his memory. And it was nice to see that Rush was carrying person until his wife died after which he chose to distance himself from others.
            Last edited by death13a; 24 April 2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Rush is by far my favorite character (RC carries the show for me) so I thought the episode was great, minus the B story.

A story:

- great getting some insight into Rush
              - enjoyed the way they chose to film it and have Rush react. SG-1's Changeling is one of my favorite episodes.
              - nice way to incorporate Daniel into the ep but not really have it be him...thus no use of the stones to import past characters.
              - it all comes back to DNA stuff as usual with all things Ancient. Resolution was a bit too easy but whatever as that's not what I cared about.

B story:

- contrived
              - Young should have never allowed Eli to go. Too valuable an asset to risk.
              - why didn't they send more people to help dig out those trapped?
              - one redeeming thing about the B story was that it wasn't miraculously fixed at the end of the episode. I expected Rush to jump out of the chair and stop Destiny from jumping. Didn't happen. So props to the show.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Not a great episode, but not a bad one.

The Rush storyline was a little dull, to be honest. The episode didn't have that many moments that grabbed me.

However, the writing itself was solid as ever. And it left us with a cliffhanger for next week.

Comment

i really liked this ep my fav so far behind "Time" it was to me what a true Stargate ep is and Chloe redeemed herself it this ep for me if she can keep going like this she could turn into a likable character IMO
                  Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                  sigpic

Comment

What a fantastic and strong Episode. Really great acting, powerful scenes and an interesting cliffhanger. While lots of small seeds planted throughout such as a hint towards the Lucian Alliances interest and "involvement" in the project.

Ok the B plot was a little flat, especailly with the "let go underground beat", however the cliffhanger payoff was worth it, as was the small spinet into Greers past. Although the "aliens are chasing us" intro just leaves me feeling that them Aliens will capture Scott ect... then hold them hostage, maybe even striking the deal that lets them on the ship as we saw in the previous trailers. Atleast that my theory.

The only major thing that bugged me however was the "lets look for human remains", erm... its an ALIEN planet, in an ALIEN galaxy.... no humans, please no humans.
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

40 mins of some of the worst SGU so far in my opinion, big let down considering how much I enjoyed the last 4 episodes, really thought the show was turning the corner once and for all.

Comment

I kind of liked the episode, but got very tired of the BSG duplication. I felt like I was on Caprica and Cylons would go walking by at any time. Got a kick out of the stick man figures on a couple of the chalkboards (was this a subtle hint for chromosomes ). Micheal Shanks is handsome as ever, thought his part fit into the show.

Hopefully, now Rush will go around with somewhat less resentment and a little more recognition of other people.

What happens when two civilians want to go exploring and the military leader gives in because they are his friends? They all get trapped in a tunnel. I could see where that one was going a mile a way. No way should Chloe or Eli EVER be left off the ship. The two most naive and inexperienced of the entire crew? What was Young thinking?!?!? Especially with Scott leading the squad.

And did anyone else get spine tingles at the resemblence of the "Scott Squad" to the "young and hip" people version from SG1's epispode "200"? OMG! I think they had the characters exactly the same in the two episodes. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! We are headed for a whole season of the "young and hip".

OK. We've had some BSG, old SG1, and character background fun. It is time to get back to the present situation at hand and move SGU forward.
                        Last edited by hisg1fans; 24 April 2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shake View Post
                          It's J.S. Bach Partita Nr. 2 Chaconne or Ciaccona in D minor for solo violin. I don't know another piece of music that is so complete and perfect as this one.
                          You mean that irritating, screechy noise I heard in the background. Ruined the episode for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                            Chloe is the next Daniel Jackson of the show. With her political background. It makes her an hypocritical archeologist.
                            Dr Jackson was much more than just an archeologist though. He was their negotiator (many times, especially with the Unas), their translator and also their moral compass. Her poltiical savvy would be good for the first of those, but i cannot see her being the 3.

I love twisty psychological stories that really get into the characters' heads (literally in this case). There was so much going on inside Rush's head here: his grief over his wife's death, regret over how he acted with her, how he reacts to reliving that and the revelation that he actually wanted to forget those memories, his resentment toward Eli, his desperation to crack that code and solve at least one mystery... and then, on top of all that, his struggle with his own conscience as he thinks of the person he's become since his wife's death. There's just so much material there, and it will be interesting to see how Rush continues to develop now that we know at least some of what's going on beneath the surface. And of course, Carlyle plays all of that emotion just brilliantly!
                            With all that has happened, i am wondering now, if cause OF his pushing for a logical answer is WHY he was unable to crack the code. I know from personal experience, when i get to 'nuke' into a problem at times it clouds my capacity to solve it, and someone fresh will get it. So maybe that is why Eli was able to solve it and rush was not.
                            But i agree, this showed his character so well. Now all we can hope for is that the powers that be actually give him an award for this wonderful work.

nd the guy who has just revealed to us the existence of the Lucian Alliance spy that is responsible for attacking the Icarus Base
                            Actually the spy was who gave them the location of the planet which got turning INTO the icarus base. WE don't know if it was he who had the LA attack it. Maybe it was, after they found out he was a spy and cracked him through torture.

This is the second week in a row where I expected a "surprise" moment where something major happens, and then it doesn't. In the case of "Human," as soon as Rush woke up from the chair, I assumed he would run over to a console, tap in a code, and stop the ship. It's what they normally would do on SG. Instead, he wakes up, is disoriented, and has no idea how to save Scott and the others in the five minutes they have left. It completely subverts the obvious expectation, and I love it for that.
                            And i liked how they had him later on explaining to Young that his comment was not a lie, but a clarification. "I cannot stop the ship now. I now though know of how to do it" (or something like that).

Robert Carlyle´s performance was worth an Emmy- and Golden Glob nomination. To bad that SciFi never get that kind of recognition.
                            He should get BOTH!.. BUt it is a real pity it seems the SG franchise seems to get left out of the running for all of them.

I really like that thought, but I wonder for what reason the Destiny, or Rush himself, should choose Daniel to help him?
                            Maybe the ship read his mind for a 'character who would know what it was imparting, and Rush's memory of Dr Jackson showed he would..

Comment

Did anyone else get the sense that everyone in his memory knew what was going on but they were just frakking with him? And I have to question why they used an entire stick of C4, if you cut it down you can reduce the size and force of the explosion allowing you to not destroy half the ruins. I think this whole situation shows that officers need to listen more to the NCO's, they know what they are talking about and ignoring them is always bad.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                                B story:

- contrived
                                - Young should have never allowed Eli to go. Too valuable an asset to risk.
                                - why didn't they send more people to help dig out those trapped?
                                - one redeeming thing about the B story was that it wasn't miraculously fixed at the end of the episode. I expected Rush to jump out of the chair and stop Destiny from jumping. Didn't happen. So props to the show.
                                I think we've established from previous evidence that Young's not real bright.

On RC getting an Emmy nomination, etc.
                                Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                He should get BOTH!.. BUt it is a real pity it seems the SG franchise seems to get left out of the running for all of them.
                                Wrong time of year for it anyway. All the major awards shows have past, even if a sci-fi show had the off chance of being recognised.

Comment

Working...
                                X