Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculation about the planet. Who made it, will they return.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now now, Atem.

It would be interesting if a race has taken the Ancients' terraforming to the next level and actually creates planets that look like Vancouver.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm wondering if perhaps this planet wasn't created at all. Maybe the Destiny is moving through TIME & space, and this was an earlier time. Something with the credits for the next episode where Rush says "its already happened," leads me to believe it will involve time dilation/travelling.

Comment

Spoilers. Ahem.

And even travelling through tim doesn't explain the planet being too 'old' for the 'young' sun.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
          Remember the seeder ship was automated so there is no reason to believe it could make any decision like that and even if there was some AI who could, for all it knows its relaying information to ancients who are millions of years advanced at this point and not some primative race who happened to gate aboard.

If we pretend for a second that the planet and sun were there when the seeder ship passed by the most plausible sci-fi type reason that it didn't scan or send the information to Destiny would be that the obelisk creators didn't want it to - perhaps the obelisk itself contained some technology to block it.

That said, I don't think it is going to play out anything like that, I just think these seemingly contradictions in the plot are just down to poor writing and that they did the best they could to get the planet creation explanation across to the audience.
          I disagree. The seeder ship should have an AI, just like Destiny has and AI. Otherwise, the seeder ships would not know where or how to seed gates.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchaeoNerd View Post
            The Genesis Device!!!!
            Minus the whole death and destruction thing...

Comment

Question: of all the possible planets one can create (i.e. the gas giant Jupiter or a drawf planet Pluto) why create a planet identical to Earth in a solar system identical to the Milky Way, with a central orbited star? Yes the planet is identical to Earth, with an atmosphere (even though there wasn’t a “sonic boom” when Young entered the atmosphere), “Earthlike” fauna & flora present, i.e. the kiwi fruit (BTW flora can not exist without the presence of fauna). This must bring the theory to mind that whoever created this system has visited the Milky Way before!
              So it is definitely not the alien being, determined to destroy Destiny… Cause Rush said so (if it were in their means to create a system, would they not have though of a more advance method of breaching the Destiny defenses...They have, from what we know, never been to the Milky Way

It could be the Ancients/Ascended Ones… Someone made references to the monolith from “Space Odyssey”… Interesting…However, I am not staking my life on this, but there is a race out there, possibly greater than the Ascended ones, that are capable of intergalactic travel. Whatever the case it certainly is providing a real mystery…

Say, was it ever revealed why the Ancients abandoned the “Destiny project”?

Comment

They got busy researching ascension and then ascending, or with a plague and dying, or fighting the Wraith and dying, or fleeing to Earth and their civilization dying. They had other more pressing issues to attend to.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                  ....you call yourselves nerds? Really? a mention of planet building and the forum isn't awash with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy references? i'm offended
                  I did, just in another thread! sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    just toss comets on the molten ball of lava untill it's cold enough.

but anyway, hyperspacing asteroids to the right point should allow a planet to be made without becoming a humongous fireball
                    From current planet forming theory it has to start as a big fireball to melt the materials down to their atoms so that the Iron sinks into the center to form the core. And I'm no expert, so when the SGU reference was made regarding a ball of molten rock, I don't know if the core has been form yet or not. If the core has not been formed yet then it needs to stay hot to be able to form.

But yeah, pulling in comets and astroids to cool the planet surface or layer on materials for life is pretty smart. Anyway an Earth like planet is a fluke of nature. Being placed in the green zone, the size/gravity, the pivot (for seasons) is really a fluke of nature. Aliens probably meddled with our own Earth. A whole different debate.

Comment

They'll probably never explain it. Have they explained any of the other oddities ? Nope.

Comment

It would be funny if the Planet was an experiment, and the reason the obelisk activated was because they tampered with said experiment. And the aliens where being informed about the sudden arrival of unwanted visitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Xcelent View Post
                          It would be funny if the Planet was an experiment, and the reason the obelisk activated was because they tampered with said experiment. And the aliens where being informed about the sudden arrival of unwanted visitors.
                          I can' t help but think at this rate, by the end of this season of SGU there will be a whole array of different aliens chasing the Destiny to get the people who unwittingly did something to upset them.

Interesting to think that these aliens may think of the humans as a 'contaminant' that will have to be destroyed for fear of further contamination elsewhere.

Comment

I am appalled at the level of speculation in this thread. You, all of you, your sci-fi credentials are revoked. Turn in your badge at the exit.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is read Arthur C. Clarcke's 1951's short-story: "The sentinel". It's only six pages, but foreshadows the purpose of the obelisk on the planet, why the planet + sun are there and why the obelisk started transmitting a signal. If we follow its storyline and apply it to SGU, the obelisk, the planet and its sun is a beacon. A beacon that has silently waited for the arrival of the ancients/ancient ship, and that has now alerted its builders with the message "they are here".

Comment

Originally posted by gravityStar View Post
                              Anyway, the first thing you need to do is read Arthur C. Clarcke's 1951's short-story: "The sentinel". It's only six pages, but foreshadows the purpose of the obelisk on the planet, why the planet + sun are there and why the obelisk started transmitting a signal. If we follow its storyline and apply it to SGU, the obelisk, the planet and its sun is a beacon. A beacon that has silently waited for the arrival of the ancients/ancient ship, and that has now alerted its builders with the message "they are here".
                              I'm starting to have issues about this obelisk and what is its supposed purpose. In the Clarke story, the obelisk is placed in a specific location to alert an alien race that humans have arrived at that point. Of course, the story also supposes that humans would: a.) bother to go to the moon and not just expand past it; b.) not treat the obelisk with some kind of supernatural dread and therefore avoid it; or c.) investigate the obelisk enough to trigger the device's shut-down. Small chances of course, but still possible in cultural development.

I do not see the obelisk in SGU as having anything to do with Destiny or the Ancients. Let's assume that this beacon is there to alert "The Builders" that another race has found the planet. Further, let's assume that it is there to specifically alert them that the Destiny has arrived and folks from its crew are on the planet.

If we are to believe this then, we are talking about a species who will create a star system out in the middle of nowhere (moved or made is irrelevant), smack dab in the middle of Destiny's flight path, of which they would have to know something about in order to put the darn star/planet in the right place, rather than send a ship, a probe, a message in a bottle in the reverse direction of its course from the point where they cobbled together their little star system. (whew! Long sentence there.) Their presence would be noted by Destiny, and at a lot less effort.
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Builder One: "Hey Joe, we've studied that seeder ship thingee which came through here last week and the data banks in it say there's going to be another ship coming along the same course in a couple of hundred million years, which may (or may not) have people on it. Think we should we send them a probe to alert them to come talk to us when they get here? Or we could take that new shuttle for a spin. We could reach this Pegasus Galaxy place before they even reach it."

Builder Two: "Why should we do that?"

Builder One: "Well, we could make contact with them a few hundred million years earlier than it would take for them to actually get here..."

Builder Two: "Nah, sending a probe seems like too much work, and that shuttle still has some bugs we need to work out. Let's just build a small star system in the middle of their path. That will get their attention."

Builder One: "Yeah, that would be easier. What kind of message system should we leave 'em?"

Builder Two: "Not sure. They seem kinda' backwards compared to us."

Builder One: "I know! Let's screw around with 'em. We'll leave an enigmatic obelisk with a bunch of nonsense characters on it. They'll spend days trying to figure out what it means."

Builder Two: "Great idea! Hey, do you think we should put in that random beamer add-on we used at the last office party? That'll just mess them up lots."
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above seems a bit far-fetched. I don't see how this planet can have anything to do with Destiny. I think they just stumbled on to something which may be re-visited in future episodes. I would agree that the beam is likely some sort of alert, but what does it alert the builder to is anyone's guess at the moment.

regards,
                              G.
                              Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by gravityStar View Post
                                I am appalled at the level of speculation in this thread. You, all of you, your sci-fi credentials are revoked. Turn in your badge at the exit.

That's assuming people from Destiny flew to the obilisk, and it just so happen the planet rotation was pointing in that direction, and there were people on Destiny in the first place. If the Icarus evacuation occurred like a month later they could have gated onto Destiny after episode Faith and never even encounted the obilisk. Considering how long Destiny has travelled, it's like winning lotto that Destiny flew past that solar system with people onboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X