No announcement yet.

Would you have stayed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have stayed...with the Destiny. There is simply too much out there to see .

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue View Post
      I would have been seriously tempted to stay. Especially with the shuttle being left behind. Really, what do you want out of life? If the only goal for the people on Destiny is to go back home, what is the point in that? Why not just make your home somewhere you can be happy?

Exploration and discovery is nice, but the planet has that in spades -- especially with it being artifical with a large alien structure and the possibility that the aliens might show up in the future.

Here is the deciding point for me -- If I had a companion with which to share my time on the planet, I think I would stay.
      I'd be like rush, I'd be more interested in exploring the ship and finding new planets.

Comment

I would choose Detiny anytime. Staying on that planet... I'd die of boredom. Destiny offers an infinite number of new encounters especially with meeting an advanced race.

Comment

No one seems to be asking this question so I will....given that some race has an investment in this system....do the humans have a RIGHT to stay? For all we know it could be some kind of preserve and their messing the balance up a la Bio-Dome
          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Stay? GODS, NO!

As the Replicators and the Ori and the etc. taught us, advanced civilizations don't always end up being benevolent! I hope they're all vivisected.
            Will the aliens come back? Will they come back in a human lifetime? For me, staying basically equals never seeing home again. Destiny is their best chance of getting back to Earth. Ain't that sad?
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Dr. Caine successfully form a clan to stay on the planet. Lol! He would be a king on this world. The girls wouldn't be worry much as long as the handsome King Caine is around. Lucky for him, He got a followers, a shuttle and a planet to play with. The obelisk is the least thing to be worry about. King Caine has a planet size kingdom and live happily ever after.

Comment

Originally posted by h22chen View Post
                Just for the record, 6 people stayed behind on that planet. 2 Females and 4 Males.
                Sorry for the OT.
                So at least 2 of those men will never have sex ever in their entire lives. Not a coin flip I'm willing to gamble on. lol

Comment

these aliens would be sufficiently advanced not to kill us for the fun of it. at worst, we're gonna end up as a science exhibit, at best, they're annoyed and send us back home.

Comment

Well, Being on the ship gives you a chance to get home, and use the stones to talk to family on earth.

On the other hand, building a new society on a strange new planet would be cool, Id be an architect and live in a cabin nestled in the tree tops, id swing and climb all over the place. wooo!

Comment

nx01a,

As the Replicators and the Ori and the etc. taught us, advanced civilizations don't always end up being benevolent! I hope they're all vivisected.
                      You hope the people who stayed are "vivisected". Good lord why would you wish such a fate on anyone?
                      Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 19 April 2010, 12:15 PM.
                      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

The episode made for interesting drama but in any real world situation imo, none of Destiny’s crew would have elected to remain on the planet.

The reason all the planets that have been visited in the Stargate Franchise have been in forests is the show is filmed in Vancouver. If is far cheaper to do location shooting nearby. Vancouver is very far from the Equator.

Planning to settle on a planet with minimal supplies and equipment would be foolish and possibly not possible anywhere far from the equator. The only place they would have a chance of surviving would be somewhere tropical where the climate is mild and there is food available year around.

A similarly appearing location on Earth would not have that much wild edible vegetation available. I guess this place was better. Since there are no animals present then there is likely no fish either. The absence of animals would make me very, very, very nervous. How could a planet not have any animals on it? Without animal flesh how are they going to get their protein requirements? There might not be enough diversity of wild edible vegetation to meet everyone’s protein and nutritional needs?

I think most people have no idea how hard it would be to survive anywhere where there is winter. Enduring a winter even with the shuttle would be extremely difficult if not impossible. What are they going to do about food once winter arrives and they can no longer forage? I doubt the shuttle has extensive refrigeration capacity. How are they going to store their food? How long do you think fruit and vegetables would keep? Very shortly into the winter they would run out of food and starve. They would have to rush to can and preserve enough food to last them through the winter. How many containers do they have and where would they store them? And how many of those people have ever built a shelter? What are they going to use for tools? They couldn’t have had time to bring much if any with them from Icarus. Do you think the Ancients would have left basic tools on the ship and when would they have had time to load them on the shuttle? Something as simple as nails would be well beyond them. And eating the few indigenous wild fruits and vegetables would get very old after a while. They would need to plant crops? How are they going to do so without tools and seeds?

A tropical environment would have year around edible food and may be survivable; but without animal flesh there may not be enough diversity of wild food there either to fulfill everyone’s nutritional needs. I can understand how basking in the sunshine after being cooped up on a Space Ship would feel tremendous but I really doubt many of the scientists would be so foolish as to not think through the practical requires of survival. I haven’t even addressed any of the possible unknown dangers that may yet arise.

The likely explanation for why there are no animals is there is something present harmful to them. And if so, it would likely affect the humans. And if there are no animals then I assume there are no insects either. Is there bacteria? The life cycle interactions between flora and fauna on an Earth like planet are extremely complex, diverse and widespread. Many species require both for their continued survival. I don’t know how viable an Earth like planet would be with flora and no fauna even if it was supposedly "designed" as some type of planetary garden. I certainly wouldn’t want to gamble my survival living on it? Scientists would be intimately aware of this.

The whole idea of people wanting to leave Destiny makes for an interesting story but in a real world situation I doubt any of the crew would have taken a chance with their survival on this planet. Being off world and involved in the Stargate program they would have been trained and educated to know just how difficult survival would be for a handful of very ill equipped people on an unknown planet, especially one that displays a lack of fauna.
                        Last edited by Blackhole; 21 April 2010, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I would have stayed on the planet. The thought of being trapped on that ship for lord knows how long does not appeal to me at all

Comment

if you were a civilian, would you have left that planet or would you have stayed?
                            sigpic

Comment

There's a great PBS special called "Alone in the Wilderness". It's about a guy in his 50's who built a cabin up in the mountians of Alaska and lived there, by himself, for the next 20 years. He did import a few impliments, like an axes, saws, and foodstuffs that he couldn't get from the forest but he lived quite happily for 20 years. Now he worked his ass off every day cutting wood gathering food and hunting. He was also a trained carpenter and an amature stonemason so he was able to build the things he needed.

Here's a link to a Website about the show:

http://www.aloneinthewilderness.com/

My problem with staying is that they have none of the basic tools they need to survive. Do they have axes and saws? I doubt it. As such making shelters beyond the simple leantos we see in the episode would be very difficult. Addtionally, the lack of animals means nothing furry you can skin and wear to keep warm in the wintertime. I can certianly understand and sympathize with those who stayed. However, if the advanced aliens who built the place don't show up it's going to be mini-Donner party time shortly into the winter.
                              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

It would be a tough call. In that exact situation though, I think I'd return to the ship. There's just not enough known about the planet. Better to stay with what you know, even if it does suck, then to roll the dice and hope some hibernating monster or angry aliens don't come and kill you.

If even a few variables were changed though, the answer might be different.
                                It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Working...
                                X