This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I would defiantly consider these aliens more advanced then the Ancients. The Ancients can't even come close to building a sun or planet.
    The ascended ones can.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
      You don't have to be hostile to survive. Just willing and able to defend yourself.
      When two species expand outwards and consume resources until there's only enough left for one to survive, the one that's most aggressive is usually the one that survives. An intelligent, sentient species would be even more likely to be aggressive since they would understand this.

Comment

Can't wait for the HD screen-captures!!

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. I won't go into big specifics though, as most people here are summing up what I'd have to say on the matter.

However, I didn't really see this mentioned yet...so I'll bring it up (apologies if anyone did, ).

The episode was called "Faith", after all...and I think this was played up pretty creatively by the writers. Case in point, Dr. Caine. I thought it was very, very interesting the idea of having faith in something such as this. And I think I enjoyed it so much because the writers actually used the opportunity to show how faith (by its very definition) works.

Dr. Caine was convinced there had to be some sort of benevolent force at work here, and I can't entirely blame him for it! And the way they played up his growing commitment to this idea in the month they were on the planet was very interesting to me. He was willing to risk staying on the planet (and the dangers that entails) due to his faith in something he could ultimately never be sure of. And my views on such faith aside, I found it incredibly fascinating.

This is not meant as a condemnation or praise of this either. I just thought it was an interesting observation.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

I would defiantly consider these aliens more advanced then the Ancients. The Ancients can't even come close to building a sun or planet.
            We don't know if some aliens even built the planet. I think it was ascended beings.

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
            When two species expand outwards and consume resources until there's only enough left for one to survive, the one that's most aggressive is usually the one that survives. An intelligent, sentient species would be even more likely to be aggressive since they would understand this.
            A race that advanced. To build solar systems if that's how that solar system was created. Would likely be very enlightened. And possibly have no rivals. You can be advanced enough to hold your territories and not be aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
              But in the stargate universe anyways... there's unlimited number of habitable worlds. Unlimited resources.

Comment

We don't know if some aliens even built the planet. I think it was ascended beings.
                The planet just didn't pop into thin air
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I didn't think it was possible for me to like Young more than I do...but I do. I wish that he could be more forthcoming with his feelings though, for TJ's sake.

Young and Rush? Fantastic.
                  TJ? yep, even though I saw it coming, it was still a whack
                  Greer? He is made of Awesome!
                  The one thing that was a pleasant surprise was the developing friendship between Wray and Eli of all people.

I loved that people were smiling and laughing with each other by the end, although there are definitely some deeper philosophical/religious questions about what happened. I know that some will say it was a slow epi, but as for the big questions? A doozy.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

The planet just didn't pop into thin air
                    I didn't say it just popped into thin air. I am saying I don't think it was created by some race. I think its very possible and ascended ancient created it. Maybe he started it on its way and enveloped it in a time dilation field and speed it up a great deal. We don't know what they can do exactly. But they have do much more impressive feats then create a solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                      But in the stargate universe anyways... there's unlimited number of habitable worlds. Unlimited resources.
                      There's a long way between regions, continents, planets, solar systems, and galaxies, so there would be many points in a species growth cycle where resources dwindle and conflict ensues. This is the cycle of life, survival of the fittest, unless biology as we understand it doesn't apply in the Stargate universe, in which case this is a fantasy series, not a science fiction one.

Comment

An advanced race would also limit their growth. Just because people on earth breed like wild rabbits does not mean every race does.

Comment

I didn't say it just popped into thin air. I am saying I don't think it was created by some race. I think its very possible and ascended ancient created it. Maybe he started it on its way and enveloped it in a time dilation field and speed it up a great deal. We don't know what they can do exactly. But they have do much more impressive feats then create a solar system.
                          That is so far fetched. Thier is no information that the ascended Ancients were involved, it makes no sense for the Ancients to go this this far out since creating such a thing would take time, and finally their is no indication that ascended powers can do that
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I totally agree!!

Comment

That is so far fetched. Thier is no information that the ascended Ancients were involved, it makes no sense for the Ancients to go this this far out since creating such a thing would take time, and finally their is no indication that ascended powers can do that
                              Have... faith

Comment

Wow. I really enjoyed tonights episode! I've got to say, if I was at all on the fence about SGU after 1.0, 1.5 has got me completely sold. Fantastic!

About "Faith"... I've got a whole bunch of thoughts so I'll try to organize them, lol!
                                1. It was nice to see some cameraderie (even if forced at times - indeed, that's more realistic given recent events) between the members of the crew. I was especially impressed with Young who was clearly trying very hard to do what he thought was best/right. The awkward comment about chess at the end was a nice touch. Also, on a related note, it was nice to see Young, Wray and Rush discussing the decision to be made regarding the 'away team'. I really appreciated that Young was consulting (or at the very least entertaining) the opinions of these two influential crew members.
                                2. Greer = hilarious and awesome!! Greer is such an awesome character, and love his sardonic sense of humour! And, more than just Greer, the humour in general really harkened back to a classic Stargate feel, but, of course, with a distinctly SGU flavour. Humour is such a quintessential part of this franchise, so it was nice to see that woven into this story. (E.g. the scenes in the second shuttle)
                                3. I think it's really interesting to see that TPTB are toying with the religion motif again; except this time, unlike in SG-1, we AREN'T in a position to know what the 'truth' of the matter is. Raises some interesting philosophical questions about what exactly we mean by a 'higher power'. Interesting, too, that the ship should be called "Destiny"... I get the feeling this is going to be a running thread, and I am looking forward to seeing the debate play out.
                                4. REALLY interesting ethical question raised regarding whether precedence is to be placed on individual liberties or the welfare of the collective. Does the freedom of the individual to choose trump the collective's need for survival, or vice versa? Add to that the uncertainty element and you have a very intriguing ethical connundrum. Surely, the collective's chances of survival would be lessened with the loss of a medic, pilot and highly qualified scientists; but at the same time, the collective's survival is not guaranteed by their presence either (nor is their demise guaranteed by their loss). Further still, it is more than just a question of liberty versus survival, because those chosing to stay behind were doing so out of a desire to survive as well. So there's the following additional layer to the problem: the few versus the many. Do you potentially endanger everyone by allowing the separation of the crew (where those on the planet may have a better chance of survival, but not a necessary one, and those on the ship will have a lessened chance of survival), or do you, once again, potentially endanger everyone by keeping everyone aboard (where, now, all have a sort of 'average' chance of survival between the poles in the previous case, but again, won't necessarily survive). (Sorry, that was long and convoluted... hope that made sense to someone!! ).
                                5. Much to my surprise, I actually enjoyed the montage in this episode!!

As for concerns, just a few...
                                1. I hope that the tensions amongst the crew have not been dispensed with - and honestly, from what we've seen so far, I highly doubt that TPTB have any intention of doing this! I have faith (*groan* ) that they will not treat "Divided" as the end of all hostilities on board.
                                2. I do not have a problem with the TJ/Young plot-line, yet. My only fear is that SGU will take a turn towards soap-opera (this is largely why I was not a fan "Earth"). So, I'm not making any judgements yet, but this is still a worry in terms of future episodes.
                                3. Chloe... .... still waiting for some growth with this character. I was not that impressed with what we saw from her in "Divided", but I'm holding out, as with my last concern. I'm just not sure how long we are expected to wait...

All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. Can't wait for next week!!

Comment

Working...
                                X