This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
    and what if Telford has been having an affair with Young's wife for some time???? Now that sounds more like a soap opera storyline, after all this is a soap opera we're talking about isn't it?
    SGU is not a soap opera IMO as to the moral issue regarding the sex well yeah it does raise some eybrows however this could be his last chance to have sex with his wife so not a big deal to me imo.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
      for lack of a better word, that none of the characters seem bothered by people taking their bodies out for a) sex, b) getting drunk, and I'm sure there will be more...
      Yet. Within the timing of the episode there was not opportunity to expound upon everyone's reactions. Since the scientists did not appear after they left, their reaction to Chloe and Eli's use of their bodies' has been so far unexplored. I have a hunch that Telford shoeing up at Mrs. Young's door could be part of the exploration of the consequences of Young's actions.
      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

You convinced me of something. Instead of tuning in next week, I will burn my "Stargate: SG-1" dvd sets during the show's airing. Forget about watching "Stargate: Universe". Its time to start the burning.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Wow! Kind of reminds me about the time when I burned my Star Wars dvd sets. Lol... Watching all six go up in flames gave me pleasure. Lucas will never-ever get another dime from me.

Stargate franchise will be next to burn in our house. Since the writers want to cheapen Stargate with this sex junk, I might as well treat the dvd sets like the garbage they are now being expanded upon.
        Lol! Well, enjoy yourself. It's not like you affect anyone else when you cut off your nose to spite your face. Are you sure there aren't more of your possesions you'd like to destroy while you're at it? If you're making entirely pointless gestures, you might as well really go for it! Perhaps you should destroy the television you watched stargate on, burn the clothes you wore.... Loads of ways to make a meaningless gesture even more meaningless!

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
          Loads of ways to make a meaningless gesture even more meaningless!
          I'll have to remember that line...so useful in so many situations...
          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
          Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
            You convinced me of something. Instead of tuning in next week, I will burn my "Stargate: SG-1" dvd sets during the show's airing. Forget about watching "Stargate: Universe". Its time to start the burning.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Wow! Kind of reminds me about the time when I burned my Star Wars dvd sets. Lol... Watching all six go up in flames gave me pleasure. Lucas will never-ever get another dime from me.

Stargate franchise will be next to burn in our house. Since the writers want to cheapen Stargate with this sex junk, I might as well treat the dvd sets like the garbage they are now being expanded upon.
            Huh!

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
              Not a chance. I already have "SG-1: Season One" dangling over a fire. If I were to give them away to someone else, that would be counter productive in what I'm trying to do. Oh, yeah! I'm getting ready for my SG-1 BBQ!

If the writers don't stay true to the Stargate franchise, (within the next episode of Universe), its bye-bye to my SG-1 DVD sets. Atlantis will follow its fate. I already have four other family members ready to burn theirs, and I'm talking to several others to join in on the BBQ. So far everyone is on board.

I give them one more week to get us back on track. Doomsday for my "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" dvd sets are near.

We are going to have a full boycott on all "Stargate" products.
              "That would be counter productive in what I'm trying to do."

...Which is what, exactly? Throwing away money? They have the money you paid for those DVDs already. You're not getting it back even if you do something stupid like burn them. It could also be harmful to yours and your family's health. I don't know exactly what a DVD is made of, or what gasses come off it while it's aflame, but I can't imagine it being healthy.

Seriously, it just infuriates and confounds me that you're so convinced that this is the right thing to do and that it will mean ANYTHING to ANYONE except yourself. How does what's in this show have any impact on what's been done already on SG-1? I promise, your DVDs weren't infected with a sex scene from being in the same room.

On another note, I find it strange that so many people object to sex so strongly. It's a fact of life. People have sex, it happens. I thought the days of closed-minded censorship and "sex without love/ for pleasure is evil" were behind us.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                On another note, I find it strange that so many people object to sex so strongly. It's a fact of life. People have sex, it happens. I thought the days of closed-minded censorship and "sex without love/ for pleasure is evil" were behind us.
                "People have sex".... but not in other peoples' bodies!

What SGU is depicting is a form of rape.

Wow, and I thought SGU was geared towards a younger audience...

Comment

I kinda hope Telford has sex with Young's wife. Young's bleeding heart ca-ca boohoo pitty party is rendered 1st class garbage because of his smooching on TJ. So Young deserves whatever happens. And there's no one better than that jerk Telford to do it.

Comment

While I'm not going to cry if Young loses his wife, I also don't think that two wrongs make a right. It doesn't matter what Young did, you don't just go sleep with someone else's wife for the sake of revenge. You speak to your commanding officer and get it handled the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post

It's not geared towards a younger audience as in teenagers and children. It just means that they're aiming for viewers up to their 40's rather than 50+

We first saw body swapping in SG-1 when Daniel and Vala ended up in the Ori galaxy and alerted the Ori. This was the start of an epic adventure which didn't really make us think of the issues involved in body swapping. We next saw it in SGA but again, it happened in another galaxy in an action adventure show so we didn't think of the issues involved from this either.

In SGU the body swapping issue is brought very close to home because it's being illustrated with ordinary, everyday life situations. The Asgard decided that Earth humans were the Fifth Great Race and handed over all their advanced technology. Earth humans have also acquired advanced technology from other sources, including the Ancients. SGU is now showing us members of the Fifth Great Race who aren't neccessarily using advanced technology as wisely or as responsibly as they should.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post

I know this, and I don't condone what happened here. I should've been more clear, but I was talking about in general. Every time there's been a sex scene, or a sexually suggestive scene in SGU, people are up in arms over it.

Like some people have said, perhaps the body swapping participants sign a waiver that basically gives the other person free reign. I actually hope so, since I really like Young's character and don't want him coming off as a scumbag.

Comment

Here's my take on the whole issue.

During the show, someone mentioned to Eli that there were certain rules to follow. It is perhaps the case that these rules included intimacy. Perhaps they all agree to certain things while inhabiting another person's body. After all, if harm were to come to the borrowed body while the stones are in use, the "soul" (or whatever it is) would perish with that body as well. So, it technically belongs to that person for that amount of time. Does this mean that it is OK to do whatever? Of course not, but there are certain things that can be expected. Intimacy with one's spouse is one of those things that could be expected if the parties agreed. I think Telford was surprised, but who's to know if they didn't agree to this?

If we go by the logic of the people screaming rape, then everything they go the bathroom or take a shower with the "borrowed" body, could be a form of rape. Actually, if you really think about it, having control over another person's body is already raping it.

It's a show, it's meant to entertain and make you think. You don't like it, don't watch it.
                          "I swallowed a bug" River

Comment

why is young the bad guy here? he was relieved of his command AND his body, as in was not allowed to return to his body a billion light years away. why should he not treat the body he's been forced into as his own? why is the fact he was prevented from returning not as outrageous as him sleeping with someone?
                            sigpic
                            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                              why is young the bad guy here? he was relieved of his command AND his body, as in was not allowed to return to his body a billion light years away. why should he not treat the body he's been forced into as his own? why is the fact he was prevented from returning not as outrageous as him sleeping with someone?
                              This actually brings up a good point. Young was in this for the long haul; if the plan failed but DIDN'T cause the ship to explode (or so Telford thought) then I think Telford would still have been left in charge of the mission. Hence the reason for his "we've gotta get that fixed" comment. If he was going to be in Young's body long-term then they couldn't just be swapping out every once in a while.

So yeah, Young's body was essentially hijacked as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                                Exactly. At the time Young thought that body was now his.

Comment

Working...
                                X