No announcement yet.

Destiny's weapon grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we also have no idea how long they were doing that for they could have been shouting for an hour to hours. they weren't specific with that, but that had to be at least an hour
    time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the-alguroan View Post
      we also have no idea how long they were doing that for they could have been shouting for an hour to hours. they weren't specific with that, but that had to be at least an hour

If you wanted to, which I don't , you could probably piece together a timeline based on the activities on earth
      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

I was surprised at how many weapons it had

I guess the ancients wanted to be prepared for anything and everything when they gated back to their ship

Comment

The only thing I don't get is the time frame. The power from "Light" seemed to run critically low very fast. Its understandable that the weapons systems may be taxing but a couple of months power drained away in what felt like mere minutes (maybe an hour or 2), that just seems rather illogical. That means that after any lengthy space battle its off to find a star again....

Its like Atlantis's ZPM's all over again. They have power for thousands of years, then you plug it into Atlantis raise the shields a few times and its a 0 power before the end of the week. And I thought my Laptop was bad at draining power.
          sigpic
          Banner Made By Me for Me
          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
            I doubt the boat would be able to put out 100 shots before it had to go take a dip in a star.. How many shots did they fire to drain the batteries? Less then 100..
            Why on Earth would you assume that the 10-second shot of the Destiny going all-out is all that it took? Sorry if I sound like an ass, but...that's some deficient reasoning you got there...

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
              I doubt the boat would be able to put out 100 shots before it had to go take a dip in a star.. How many shots did they fire to drain the batteries? Less then 100..
              Why on Earth would you assume that the 10-second shot of the Destiny going all-out is what it took? Sorry if I sound like an ass, but...that's some deficient reasoning you got there...We don't know exactly how long the ship kept shooting.

Comment

While the sounds in space thing is annoying, every other sci-fi show (with the exception of Firefly) has them. Even the incredibly over-hyped BSG has them, as does every other show with "Star" and "Gate" in its title.

Now, as for watching the Destiny's little light show, I have but this to say:

Spoiler:

sigpic
                http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                  The only thing I don't get is the time frame. The power from "Light" seemed to run critically low very fast. Its understandable that the weapons systems may be taxing but a couple of months power drained away in what felt like mere minutes (maybe an hour or 2), that just seems rather illogical. That means that after any lengthy space battle its off to find a star again....

Its like Atlantis's ZPM's all over again. They have power for thousands of years, then you plug it into Atlantis raise the shields a few times and its a 0 power before the end of the week. And I thought my Laptop was bad at draining power.
                  They fired at full weapons for a few hours, and the power efficiency on them sucks since the ship is in such bad shape
                  The power was drained very quickly because of it
                  The ship is also only at less then 40% of the max power capacity

Atlantis was in much better shape, but the ZPMs were not
                  The ZPMs they started with were almost completely drained from running the shield underwater for thousands of years, and any time they found new ZPMs they always ended up in a situation that brought them to almost completely drained

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post
                    They fired at full weapons for a few hours, and the power efficiency on them sucks since the ship is in such bad shape
                    The power was drained very quickly because of it
                    The ship is also only at less then 40% of the max power capacity

Atlantis was in much better shape, but the ZPMs were not
                    The ZPMs they started with were almost completely drained from running the shield underwater for thousands of years, and any time they found new ZPMs they always ended up in a situation that brought them to almost completely drained
                    That's fair enough. But I still think that a few hours was still alittle too fast. Even if they was all being fired at once it just still seems like several months worth of power could be drained that fast + FTL to a suitable star (of-course we still don't know just how fast this FTL is).

Maybe if they also turned al the lights on, found away to increase the shield output and attempt to dial the gate I could understand the sudden power drop.
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

I thought the Destiny's weapons were awesome. Also makes me more curious as to who the hell managed to damage Destiny so badly.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                        I thought the Destiny's weapons were awesome. Also makes me more curious as to who the hell managed to damage Destiny so badly.
                        Probably a fleet of ships. That and the Destiny running into rouge space objects like Metors and comets. I think the Destiny would work the entire Earth fleet of 304's.

The ship easily has over a dozen cannon's on it and shields that can withstand being inside of a star.

Comment

and shields that can withstand being inside of a star.
                          shields generate power by flying into a star, not drain.

I think the Destiny would work the entire Earth fleet of 304's.
                          dont think so. the 304's will make short work of it. the question is, WHAT on the Destiny burns out first. besides, i think the Oddy can take it alone. far more power behind it's shields and weapons.

also, atlantis drained so much power, not even portable nuclear powerplants could power it fully (save shields and weapons). really, what sucks up that power?

oh and, just the crew and the FTL drive shouldn't take up THAT much power. there are electric bikes which burn more energy than a few dozen households.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                            Maybe if they also turned al the lights on, found away to increase the shield output and attempt to dial the gate I could understand the sudden power drop.

Chloe left her hair dryer plugged in
                            If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                            Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
                              The ship easily has over a dozen cannon's on it and shields that can withstand being inside of a star.
                              That's because they where designed to do so, on top of the fact that the Destiny powers its own shields with the star while inside it, the perfect loop.

We have seen in past Stargate that some shields can be made to block certain things, while not block others (i.e. Goa'uld personal shields).

Think of the shields like Earth made protective clothing and armor. A radiation suit may protect you from radiation, but won't stop a bullet, while a bullet proof vest may be effective at stopping a bullet but not against heat or radiation. Or how a space suit will protect you from space, but a knife could stab right through it (the soft bits I mean).
                              Therefore while star proof we have no idea how Alien weapons fire might react to the shields or something solid like an asteroid or comet.

Hopefully by the end of the series these questions might be answered, as a space battle is on my SGU wish list.
                              sigpic
                              Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

I was pretty disappointed to see "slow moving glowing balls of... something" repeated again as a weapon system.

I figured they were going for a more pseudo realistic type feel for this show, and this definitely put a dent in that feel. Come on, can't they think of anything else other than the glowing blobs of slow moving goo again? I would even have been happy with ancient satellite type beam weapons but this was just the same old cliche for the billionth time being trotted out again.

"Look at our bad ass ship! Just don't try to fight us from more than a few kilometers away or we'll be completely helpless."

Every ship in stargate suffers from this problem. The closet they ever got to a viable weapon system for space warfare was 304 nuclear missiles, but they were way too slow and they failed to use them correctly.

This glowing blobs of goo thing though, this needs to end, and not just in Stargate either. It's a genre wide megacliche that's persisted since at least the original star wars in 1977.

Comment

Working...
                                X