This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siles View Post
    Young disobeyed a direct order. He should face court-martial for that! Oh and he hooked up with TJ in the past when she was in his COC he should face court-martial for that as well.
    SG1 and SGA disobeyed orders countless times especially Jack. If it yields a more positive result then the military tends to turn a blind eye. And while fratenization with TJ would be against regulations I don't think think its ground for a full court martial. Of course that is provided the Air Force knows about Young and TJ
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, SGU is officially a teeny show thanks to the LRC device. This episode was truly awful with all the whining and crying and forced sex scenes. O'Neill was so out of character. The man should retire and go on a fishing trip or something. He clearly doesn't like his job. So why bother? Eli & Chloe got old two episodes ago. And you know what, Chloe is no Charlize Theron to "friend zone" anyone. In fact, she didn't look all that great in this episode. Pretty average, if you ask me. Young using somebody else's equipment to do his wife was laughable. What a moron! Telford, who is also a moron, should do her regularly as punishment.

Other than that, the whole let's fire our guns to drain Destiny's power reserves made no sense. Given the amount of energy the ship harvested from the the sun in Light, Destiny would have to keep firing for months to cause any significant drain to the ship's reserves. Actually, this episode makes Darkness/Light look like a long exercise in futility. I mean, TPTB toasted two episodes to show how Destiny refueled, and here the ship does the same thing in less than a minute? Plus, no aerobraking required

And finally, we are once again led to believe Dr. Rush thwarted the crew's attempt to return to Earth. No surprise there. After all, he's EEEVIL! Bwahahaha!

SFX - 8/10
      Story - 1/10
      Last edited by Stormtrooper; 07 November 2009, 06:46 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
        The band at the club was TERRIBLE. Just really crappy.
        It pains me to think that they may be a favorite by someone involved in SGU...

But other than that, it was an ok episode. It wasn't a reaction like the first few and seems to state that the show well have more.

now, is telford at the door at the end or Young?
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
          I don't see the effectiveness in using the weapons over using the stargate to deplete power reserves.
          CARTER: Sir, the singularity is about to explode
          TEAL'C: Weapons are at maximum!

DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
          MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
          - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

I am really starting to enjoy this series with each new episode. I just read Michael Shanks' interview, and I think he nails the description of this show. While SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were great shows, they didn't really allow the audience to get to know the characters as much as I would have liked. It was more about the missions and such. SGU is much more about the characters and how they deal with their circumstances. I think Michael was right in that just giving us the same old type of Stargate series would be boring and milking the franchise. This new show is very different, in terms of giving us much more character stories, and yet similar in terms of still meeting aliens and dealing with problems in a sci fi setting.

About last night's episode, I always saw chemistry between Young and TJ, but I didn't realize that they had had an affair. Maybe I'm slow, but I didn't see that coming. I've read some responses regarding Young wanting to "check in with Destiny" rather than simply doing as he was told by the IOA and General O'Neill. Jack told Young that he was the CO, and this isn't a democracy, and in the military world that is absolutely true. However, 95% of the people on Destiny are civilians, not military, and I think that's what Young was trying to say to Jack. Military personnel understand the chain of command, and they understand that the CO has all the power, and you do as you are told without question. However, civilians are emotional, undisciplined, unpredictable, etc. It's a different command position to be in, and frankly, none of them would need to listen to Young, would they? His officers would need to respect the chain of command, but I'm not sure the civilians would have to do so. I don't think Young was wrong in him asking for more time, and I'm thinking that he would have gone back to Destiny and persuaded everyone on board to do as Stargate Command was suggesting. In that way, Young would have been able to placate the crew of the Destiny instead of charging in the way Telford did and create animosity.

I thought the Eli and Chloe stuff was okay, but I'm not a huge Chloe fan. I just don't really care about her character at the moment, but maybe that will change. I thought the scenes with Eli and his mother were nice, and again, it's nice to see the character development.

I really loved the scenes with Young and Emily, especially since Young tends to be so stoic and in control all the time, and yet he gets emotional and shows that other side of his personality when he's with his wife. I would have liked to see more of their conversation regarding what happened between them, but I like these characters. The body swapping was disturbing, and I've read some posts regarding moral responsibility when it comes to taking over someone else's body. I'm guessing that there is some ind of agreement between the people swapping bodies that they are willing to give up control and are not responsible for the actions of the person while "possessed." The risks are there for both parties, so there's no way to know what the other person was doing while in their bodies. If I were Young, I would not be using Telford's body, especially since it appears that Young despises Telford. Also, if I were Emily, I don't think I could have sex with someone else wearing my husband's personality, but this is science fiction.

I wasn't sure what Rush was going to do, although I was certain he did not want to return to Earth. That ship is his obsession, and he's not going without a fight. I think Telford's words hit home when he told Rush that they might not let him come back if the experiment was successful. In that regard, I wasn't surprised that Rush sabotaged the "experiment," but I was very surprised at how Telford ran to save himself. They are giving us more layers to his character.

The Telford and Greer scene only further showed my dislike for Telford. He's a man who holds a grudge and can't seem to see past his own ego. I like that Greer was loyal to Young and only considered him as his CO. That's what earned respect gets a good commanding officer, as opposed to Telford who thinks it's automatically his for the taking. This reiterates my earlier point about Young wanting to govern the Destiny crew differently. His way of commanding works.

The final scene with Young basically telling off the IOA was beautiful. They removed him from command and steam rolled over him, and in the end, they got screwed. Young's pointed statement to Telford that he "cut and ran" cut Telford deep, and he seemed to take his revenge in that final scene, which was really disturbing. I'm going to love a Young/Telford show down. I also liked how Young is still keeping his eye on Rush by having Eli review the data from the experiment. Smart move.

Overall, I really liked this episode. We learned a lot more about some of the characters, and I'm enjoying each new reveal. I give the episode an 8.5 (It lost some points because of Chloe).

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
              Well, SGU is officially a teeny show thanks to the LRC device. This episode was truly awful with all the whining and crying and forced sex scenes. O'Neill was so out of character. The man should retire and go on a fishing trip or something. He clearly doesn't like his job. So why bother? Eli & Chloe got old two episodes ago. And you know what, Chloe is no Charlize Theron to "friend zone" anyone. In fact, she didn't look all that great in this episode. Pretty average, if you ask me. Young using somebody else's equipment to do his wife was laughable. What a moron! Telford, who is also a moron, should do her regularly as punishment.

Other than that, the whole let's fire our guns to drain Destiny's power reserves made no sense. Given the amount of energy the ship harvested from the the sun in Light, Destiny would have to keep firing for months to cause any significant drain to the ship's reserves. Actually, this episode makes Darkness/Light look like a long exercise in futility. I mean, TPTB toasted two episodes to show how Destiny refueled, and here the ship does the same thing in less than a minute? Plus, no aerobraking required

And finally, we are once again led to believe Dr. Rush thwarted the crew's attempt to return to Earth. No surprise there. After all, he's EEEVIL! Bwahahaha!

SFX - 8/10
              Story - 1/10
              i couldn't agree more this has turned into a space soap opera who is having sex with who who likes who. Next episode someones going to find out there grandfather died and left them a lot of money.

I have never made a bad comment about any Stargate ep but this one was just awful
              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
              sigpic

Comment

the whole calculation thing reminded me of something i once watch i forget what it was but it was like "y dont you calculate this? " or something.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                  This way you have no faulty power conduits blowing up our favorite characters..
                  First Gero episode and he pulls a Beckett, only this time around he didn't have the balls (or wasn't allowed) to kill off the character. Either way, kudos to Sgt. Riley! While everyone was whining and *****ing, he did what had to be done.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum View Post
                    I am really starting to enjoy this series with each new episode. I just read Michael Shanks' interview, and I think he nails the description of this show. While SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were great shows, they didn't really allow the audience to get to know the characters as much as I would have liked. It was more about the missions and such. SGU is much more about the characters and how they deal with their circumstances. I think Michael was right in that just giving us the same old type of Stargate series would be boring and milking the franchise. This new show is very different, in terms of giving us much more character stories, and yet similar in terms of still meeting aliens and dealing with problems in a sci fi setting.

About last night's episode, I always saw chemistry between Young and TJ, but I didn't realize that they had had an affair. Maybe I'm slow, but I didn't see that coming. I've read some responses regarding Young wanting to "check in with Destiny" rather than simply doing as he was told by the IOA and General O'Neill. Jack told Young that he was the CO, and this isn't a democracy, and in the military world that is absolutely true. However, 95% of the people on Destiny are civilians, not military, and I think that's what Young was trying to say to Jack. Military personnel understand the chain of command, and they understand that the CO has all the power, and you do as you are told without question. However, civilians are emotional, undisciplined, unpredictable, etc. It's a different command position to be in, and frankly, none of them would need to listen to Young, would they? His officers would need to respect the chain of command, but I'm not sure the civilians would have to do so. I don't think Young was wrong in him asking for more time, and I'm thinking that he would have gone back to Destiny and persuaded everyone on board to do as Stargate Command was suggesting. In that way, Young would have been able to placate the crew of the Destiny instead of charging in the way Telford did and create animosity.

I thought the Eli and Chloe stuff was okay, but I'm not a huge Chloe fan. I just don't really care about her character at the moment, but maybe that will change. I thought the scenes with Eli and his mother were nice, and again, it's nice to see the character development.

I really loved the scenes with Young and Emily, especially since Young tends to be so stoic and in control all the time, and yet he gets emotional and shows that other side of his personality when he's with his wife. I would have liked to see more of their conversation regarding what happened between them, but I like these characters. The body swapping was disturbing, and I've read some posts regarding moral responsibility when it comes to taking over someone else's body. I'm guessing that there is some ind of agreement between the people swapping bodies that they are willing to give up control and are not responsible for the actions of the person while "possessed." The risks are there for both parties, so there's no way to know what the other person was doing while in their bodies. If I were Young, I would not be using Telford's body, especially since it appears that Young despises Telford. Also, if I were Emily, I don't think I could have sex with someone else wearing my husband's personality, but this is science fiction.

I wasn't sure what Rush was going to do, although I was certain he did not want to return to Earth. That ship is his obsession, and he's not going without a fight. I think Telford's words hit home when he told Rush that they might not let him come back if the experiment was successful. In that regard, I wasn't surprised that Rush sabotaged the "experiment," but I was very surprised at how Telford ran to save himself. They are giving us more layers to his character.

The Telford and Greer scene only further showed my dislike for Telford. He's a man who holds a grudge and can't seem to see past his own ego. I like that Greer was loyal to Young and only considered him as his CO. That's what earned respect gets a good commanding officer, as opposed to Telford who thinks it's automatically his for the taking. This reiterates my earlier point about Young wanting to govern the Destiny crew differently. His way of commanding works.

The final scene with Young basically telling off the IOA was beautiful. They removed him from command and steam rolled over him, and in the end, they got screwed. Young's pointed statement to Telford that he "cut and ran" cut Telford deep, and he seemed to take his revenge in that final scene, which was really disturbing. I'm going to love a Young/Telford show down. I also liked how Young is still keeping his eye on Rush by having Eli review the data from the experiment. Smart move.

Overall, I really liked this episode. We learned a lot more about some of the characters, and I'm enjoying each new reveal. I give the episode an 8.5 (It lost some points because of Chloe).
                    Ahh wall of text! Still you make some damn fine points.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      It pains me to think that they may be a favorite by someone involved in SGU...
                      Janelle Monae isn't a crappy artist. If you don't like this style, fine, but she was nominated to Grammy Award in her specific music style category.

Comment

Originally posted by segaxgames View Post
                        Eli makes me want to kill myself.
                        Chloe is hot no matter what body she's in
                        telford gave young's wife a big "o"
                        and "all my stargates" suck.....

That's all
                        if a tv character makes you want to do that you def need to have psychology evaluation
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                          My biggest problem with them expending the weapons. Is what happenes if they get into a fight with an alien ship. We will need the drones!!!
                          I may have missed something during the other series, but I thought drones could only be fired with the use of one of those ancient chairs. Plus, those weren't drones that were fired.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                            My biggest problem with them expending the weapons. Is what happenes if they get into a fight with an alien ship. We will need the drones!!!
                            it wasn't drone it was just a simple energy based weapons
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I have a feeling that the plan would've saved them but Rush, knowing that he wouldn't be allowed to stay on the ship in that case, deliberately sabotaged the plan and left them all stranded on the ship.

It seems that Young has some doubts too. I guess in some later episodes Eli will find out that in the data and Young will be very pissed about Rush. But I assume that something will be damaged on the ship and they won't be able to repeat dialing home... and everybody will hate Rush even more.

Comment

I think this ep has finally killed the show for me. I want the back-stabbing intrigue, the suspense, and the flawed characters, but I do not want Peyton Place. All these twists and turns in romantic relationships instead of in the sci fi elements of the show have finally done me in. Sanctuary offered up a GREAT episode right after, full of all that I love about sci fi, and it just reminded me all the more that I've only been trying to like Universe out of loyalty to the franchise that gave me the Wraith. If I wanted to watch a show that's about who's cheated on whom, and who's in love with whom, and who's got his/her eye on someone else's significant other...then I'd be watching soaps and nighttime dramas, not sci fi. Yeah. This ep had a couple great moments (the end with Rush's deception esp), but it was overpowered by everything involving relationships.

Yeah. I think I'm done, and I feel really bad about it because I do like some of the characters, but I have always hated 'soapy' type shows and movies, and this element is just becoming too prominent in this show.

das
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X