Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very enjoyable as always for me and this show so far. The consequences of the bodyswap thing is something that SGU can really explore as an "adult" show where most haven't before, so I'm interested to see where that plot with Telford goes.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
      I don't see the effectiveness in using the weapons over using the stargate to deplete power reserves. Rush said in Air that trying to dial Earth required more power than they had then, and it still does. So if they tried to dial Earth, would it not deplete all of their reserves really fast?

Really, it's a win-win for the crew at that point in time- you dial, and you don't have enough power, then the Destiny heads for the nearest star. If it ends up somehow that it doesn't completely drop the power, than what do you know- you've got a one way trip back to the MW.

This way you have no faulty power conduits blowing up our favorite characters..
      My only answer to this would be that dialing earth, or rather trying to dial earth might have caused too much of a power drain and they wouldn't have been able to control the rates in which the power dropped. Firing the weapons allows them to stop at the right time and end the power drain. Dialing a gate and draining the power that way would be one big sudden burst, rather then a little at a time. So there would be much less control in that situation.

That's just my logical guess on the subject.

- CB
      Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
      Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        there was more power so they needed to drain the power by letting the weapons go crazy
        Did you even bother to read my post, or just the thread title?

My only answer to this would be that dialing earth, or rather trying to dial earth might have caused too much of a power drain and they wouldn't have been able to control the rates in which the power dropped. Firing the weapons allows them to stop at the right time and end the power drain. Dialing a gate and draining the power that way would be one big sudden burst, rather then a little at a time. So there would be much less control in that situation.

That's just my logical guess on the subject.

- CB
        Now that I think about it more, yeah, this probably makes the post sense. Rather than having one big power drain, you have a lot of little power drains that you can turn on and off individually.

But another thing- I thought the weapons were part of the primary systems that they couldn't get ahold of?

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

My biggest problem with them expending the weapons. Is what happenes if they get into a fight with an alien ship. We will need the drones!!!
          MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
          MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
          POLARIS TORONTO 2007
          CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
          GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
          VCON VANCOUVER 2010
          FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Dr. Rush became not so disliked after this episode, I won't go as far as said I like him. But the last two episodes there are, small, moment where I find myself thinking he not so annoying.

What Young did in Telford body was not cool, funny b/c Telford a jerk, but that still gave him no right to do what he did..
            sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
              My biggest problem with them expending the weapons. Is what happenes if they get into a fight with an alien ship. We will need the drones!!!
              Those weren't drones. They looked like energy weapons of some sort, or at the very least they're an Ancient version of a railgun.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

I take it that trying to dial earth wouldn't work. the gate would just go "BEEP not enough power!" and no power would be drained.

Comment

Great episode.

I think this was probably the funniest of all the SGU episodes we've had so far. So many hilarious awkward moments between the different characters.

It's interesting, because I think comedy has always been a fairly big part of SG in the past, but it was not something I really loved about the show, to be honest. Maybe because it got to the point where they were cracking too many jokes during major life-threatening situations and it just deflated the drama of the moment.

But in this case, if anything, the moments that were humorous actually served to increase the drama and helped us to better understand these characters.

Even little things like when Eli is checking himself out in the mirror. It's followed up with the club scenes, and his comments later about feeling good for being "noticed" by women, and realizing that it might be because he's in someone else's body.

Also, the "body-switching during sex" moment was priceless. It was funny, and surprising, and dramatic all at the same time. Telford looks shocked, but I also couldn't decide whether he was just angry about what happened, or if there was more to it.

Obviously, his moment at the end, when he shows up at Emily's door, tells us that this part of the story isn't over. It's just extremely creepy and frightening to think what he might be there for. And there are sooo many possibilities, each one more disturbing than the last.

Also, I can say whole-heartedly that I had no idea what Rush was doing in regard to the plan to dial Earth. It was a genuine surprise. And we got some fun visuals out of it as well. I was convinced that we would see a bunch of re-used shots from "Light" but I didn't really notice any, if they were there.

The more I think about it, the more I really like this episode. One of the best episodes we've had I think.

Comment

Did you even bother to read my post, or just the thread title?

Now that I think about it more, yeah, this probably makes the post sense. Rather than having one big power drain, you have a lot of little power drains that you can turn on and off individually.

But another thing- I thought the weapons were part of the primary systems that they couldn't get ahold of?
                    i skimmed it, maybe they did it because the writers wanted us to see something cool instead of something mundane

Comment

Those weren't drones. They looked like energy weapons of some sort, or at the very least they're an Ancient version of a railgun.
                      But the Ancient weapons were drones!!
                      MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                      MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                      POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                      CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                      GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                      VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                      FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                        But the Ancient weapons were drones!!
                        Maybe in the Lantean period of their existence, probably not with the Destiny era weaponry.

And even if the Destiny was launched when Atlantis was around it would not make sense to include Drone weaponry on the Destiny for defence. Given this ship's voyage has lasted "the better part of a million years" we can assume it has been in at least a few situations where it must defend itself from alien ships or space debris. Drones would be depleted far too quickly and unless there is an automatic "drone-manufacturer" (which is unlikely considering there wasn't even one on Atlantis or on Aurora-class ships) on board.
                        Meh.

Comment

I don't see the effectiveness in using the weapons over using the stargate to deplete power reserves. Rush said in Air that trying to dial Earth required more power than they had then, and it still does. So if they tried to dial Earth, would it not deplete all of their reserves really fast?

Really, it's a win-win for the crew at that point in time- you dial, and you don't have enough power, then the Destiny heads for the nearest star. If it ends up somehow that it doesn't completely drop the power, than what do you know- you've got a one way trip back to the MW.

This way you have no faulty power conduits blowing up our favorite characters..
                          because you can control exactly how much power you let go with the weapons by firing less and less until you get to the right drain, as opposed to the stargate which uses a fixed amount per dial. Its like a dimmer Vs. light switch.

Comment

I mentioned it earlier but the lack of science on this show is rough. They are glossing over the actual "scifi" part of the show. They need to explain more and perhaps show more.

Things like:

-What can Rush access? We know by now that he clearly has been accessing parts of the ships logs and controls but they don't explain.

-Any solutions they have need to be explained better. Instead of what we had in this episode. We literally got: "we have an idea..(cut away from scene)...(cut back to scene)...and that is the idea". THEY COMPLETELY SKIPPED OVER THE BRIEFING!!!!!

Also they need to break the communication stones because the trips back to Earth are killing the show.

Comment

Just been reading on another forum and its amazing just how much Chloe hate came from this episode. They all seem to be confused and think that she actually did kiss Eli and not realising that it was just in his imagination.

Comment

and even if it would have been a truth, believe it or not, it'S something which happens when people are durnk
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X