Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young is the good guy. Why the majority think different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    this is all wrong. Young is the good guy here. he has flaws, but his intentions are good. Dr. Rush however, his intentions arent even clear, and civilians cant think for themselves clearly. Military has disciplined these soldiers well to be able to handle such circumstances and in very special circumstances such as this to restore order and protect civilians from themselves. i think DIVDED episode actually made Young and the military look good as they were the most reasonable.
    I also tend to see Young as the good guy here. As for Rush, he has another agenda. At the very least, his motives are in question. I think some of the over the top reactions that have been seen are maybe due to some sort of anti-military bias that has more to do with real life than on what is going on in SGU? Again, just a single person's likely flawed opinion...don't kill me
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
      this is all wrong. Young is the good guy here. he has flaws, but his intentions are good. Dr. Rush however, his intentions arent even clear, and civilians cant think for themselves clearly. Military has disciplined these soldiers well to be able to handle such circumstances and in very special circumstances such as this to restore order and protect civilians from themselves. i think DIVDED episode actually made Young and the military look good as they were the most reasonable.
      Having 'good intentions' doesn't justify a military dictatorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        People certainly have to stop trying to pigeon hole people into a hero or villain category. This is not SG1 or SGA where we only see how awesome everyone is all the time. Once you get to know all people on this planet, you will eventually realise that everyone is flawed once you get to know them and that trying to put them in the good/bad basket can be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Appearances can be very deceiving and everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet!!

Young has done some bad things. He cheated on his wife, left Rush to die blah blah blah. But amongst all that, as best we can tell he has the best interests of the crew at heart. Rush has done some bad things too, but a lot of him is still shrouded in mystery. For all we know, he intends to fly the Destiny into a sun on the other side of the known universe.

There are parts of both characters that is bad, and parts that is good. Practically, Young is still the best leader for this group at this time. Is he the same 'all round good guy' like Jack or Shep? Nope. But just remember we are seeing a lot more flaws in these characters than we ever saw in SG1/SGA.
        completely agree with this
        I think this has been one of the things that has changed, one of the things that viewers seem to have wanted to change. We expect characters to be more nuanced. More grey, less with the all heroey all the time.
        sigpic

Comment

Everybody is flawed - some awfully more than others.

I look at it this way.

I would not trust either Rush or Young to take care of my cat for a weekend. You just know something awful would happen. If you can't trust a person with your pets, you can't trust 'em (besides, Rush would probably make something explosive out of the stuff in the kitty litter!)

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Everybody is flawed - some awfully more than others.

I look at it this way.

I would not trust either Rush or Young to take care of my cat for a weekend. You just know something awful would happen. If you can't trust a person with your pets, you can't trust 'em (besides, Rush would probably make something explosive out of the stuff in the kitty litter!)
            And thus, the cat-sitting benchmark was born. We could easily sift through all the characters on the show and figure out who meets the minimum requirements to take care of Fluffykins. Then we make them all pick a number, and the winner not only babysits the cat, but gets to be the leader. Problem solved!

Comment

Definitely not letting either Rush or Young watch the pets. Only doom and despair could follow.
              sigpic
              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

better than letting Greer watch your pets. He might eat them. With a side of sweet potatoes.
                sigpic

Comment

T.J., I would let T.J. watch the pets. Or better yet, drop them off with Camille's wife (Sharon?) - that way they are safe on Earth (who knows what those blue aliens eat?), and she seems like a good sort.
                  sigpic

Comment

Young would probably shoot my cat and then tell me she ran away.

Rush would make her sit on the Ancient Chair and she doesn't exactly have brains to spare.

Wray would need to consult with the IOA on proper cat-sitting protocol and with the stones being all screwy by the time they got back to her the cat would have starved.

Eli would probably be good for her but Young is overworking him so he would probably neglect her.

TJ would be great but she's already taking care of so many people, it would be cruel to foist a cat on her on top of everything.

Chloe would probably be too busy with her love life to pay attention.

Ditto for Scott.

Lt. James would probably squeeze the cat to death because she's so lonely on her big empty bed.

Greer strikes me as a dog person esp. since he acts like a loyal pit bull himself. He'd resent the cat for being independent and possibly shoot her. Not sure about eating her but I wouldn't put it past him.

I really can't think of anyone among the major characters who would do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by yanna View Post
                      TJ would be great but she's already taking care of so many people, it would be cruel to foist a cat on her on top of everything.

I really can't think of anyone among the major characters who would do a good job.
                      You make an excellent point about TJ. I think our only choice is to leave the pets on Earth with Sharon.
                      sigpic

Comment

Young has character flaws like all of us, this does not make him a bad person, or not qualified to be a leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                          Young has character flaws like all of us, this does not make him a bad person, or not qualified to be a leader.
                          True, but flying into murderous rages is more than a character flaw. I base my judgments on both intent and the choice made at the point of no return. If you are not living up to your own moral code at the most difficult and crucial moments, then you are engaging in a form of cowardice. Everyone falls short, everyone makes huge mistakes. When those huge mistakes include attempting to murder another human being, you've crossed a line. I don't think Young is at all beyond redemption, or incapable of meeting the great potential he has to be a fantastic leader. He hasn't redeemed himself yet. When, in some future episode, he saves Rush's life in a situation where it's truly a hard choice, I'll be back on Young's side.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                            True, but flying into murderous rages is more than a character flaw. I base my judgments on both intent and the choice made at the point of no return. If you are not living up to your own moral code at the most difficult and crucial moments, then you are engaging in a form of cowardice. Everyone falls short, everyone makes huge mistakes. When those huge mistakes include attempting to murder another human being, you've crossed a line. I don't think Young is at all beyond redemption, or incapable of meeting the great potential he has to be a fantastic leader. He hasn't redeemed himself yet. When, in some future episode, he saves Rush's life in a situation where it's truly a hard choice, I'll be back on Young's side.
                            The water tank in Space
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

jelgate,

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              The water tank in Space
                              He then goes back to Destiny and starts attempting to destroy the ship on which Rush is traped. As such that is an ambigous act at best.
                              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                                jelgate,

He then goes back to Destiny and starts attempting to destroy the ship on which Rush is traped. As such that is an ambigous act at best.
                                Two lives vs the lives of everyone on Destiny. Not much of a choice.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X