Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

communication stones - possible plot hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't seem logical to me that he had one. Is there one missing from the box? Aren't there slots for them?

Comment

I hope this will be further explored or explained in one of the upcoming episodes...
      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

if rush had an extra stone then wouldn't the communication device have defaulted to rush's mind on the destiny instead of earth, especially since he has supposedly been keeping the stone on his body... there must be something more to it than the argument that the closer the stones the less need for a platform
        I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          It doesn't seem logical to me that he had one. Is there one missing from the box? Aren't there slots for them?
          It is not possible for there to be a 6th stone originally from Icarus base. But it is possible for a stone to already exist on Destiny that Rush found but didn't tell anyone. I've rewatched the pilot episode and Rush only carried his personal stuff through the gate while Young brought the box with 5 stones. And in the episode where Young communicated with the alien, he put 1 stone on the box and there were 4 remaining in that foam padding, hence no stolen stones. So I don't know how Young can make such an accusation when there were still 5 stones in the box after Rush was left for dead unless he's going on the mystery Destiny stones or just trying to stir up something.

Comment

Okay, so that being the case Young's just made a fool of himself (again).

Comment

we don't know if rush had a commstone from the beginning.

Comment

Or where he could have possibly have got one from even if he did.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  we don't know if rush had a commstone from the beginning.
                  It would seem very unlikely for Rush to be carrying a stone in his pocket (or even hidden in his room) the entire time they were fiddling around with the dialing computer from Icarus before the attack. I'm pretty sure all stones would be under lock and key, and no one even knew that there was a box with stones in it sitting on the side of the gate except Young (probably because the stones were highly classified need to know, reserved for the upper brass).

Comment

Okay, so that being the case Young's just made a fool of himself (again).
                    With the emphasis on again.

Or where he could have possibly have got one from even if he did.
                    But we do know that the alien had one. Or at least that's what it looks like he's holding in Space, and would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      If you watch SGA season 4 where keller swapps with that thief, you would know the answer. The closer the are to one another the less need there is for a platform.
                      actually season 5 - identity

i don't think distance has anything to do with it. Keller and the thief were not that close (albeit in the same galaxy, they were on different planets.) Their method of swapping was the same as Daniel and Vala when they went to the Ori home galaxy. In that case there was even a greater distance between them.

i think that there only needs to be one terminal active for the swapping to occur. Actually that would make more sense since it would allow one person to be traveling (without that bulky terminal to carry, they just carry a stone or touch it and don't need to carry anything anymore) while the observers at a home base with the terminal can swap and visit what's going on with the traveler's environment and communicate.

OMG I just realized what if that is the proper way the stones work to begin with and by using two terminals at once to connect with earth with the same matching set of stones, causes all the problems they are having! like having two communication lines open at the same time...

Comment

I think the use of stones is pretty consistent in the whole franchise:

No terminal = No body swap, only mind link. (SG-1 8.15 "Citizen Joe")

One terminal with communication used in the same galaxy = Full body swap between the stone bearer and the terminal user (SGA 5.18 "Identity"; SGU 1.11 "Space")

One terminal with communication used between two galaxies = Half body swap. Only the user with the terminal takes control of the stone bearer on the other end (SG-1 9.02 "Avalon Part 2"; SG-1 9.03 "Origin Part 3"; SG-1 9.19 "Crusade Part 1")

Two terminals with communication used between two galaxies = Full body swap between the two terminal users (Brieftly in SG-1 9.03 "Origin Part 3"; in all applicable SGU episodes besides "Space")

So first, can other forum users comment on that. Am I in the right to think the producers now what they are doing with the stones because it seems pretty consistent to me?

I would also like to know the definitive story about the stone that was on the Alien ship in SGU. Maybe someone could ask Joe Mallozi about that on his blog?

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                          HOWEVER...
                          this actually makes me think of another problem. Do the stones work in pairs? If so how could Young even connect to a stone that Rush took from the set they had on Destiny? if the matching pair is on Earth?
                          I was thinking the exact same thing. As I remember it the stones do work in pairs. They can only connect to the stone that is paired with it. If Rush had a sixth stone than it would have to be a stone that was paired with the one Young uses which is possible I suppose but seems unlikely it would have been the case. I can see Rush messing with the stones if there was a sixth one. He has been trying to gain control of the ship so maybe he fiddled with a sixth stone he had to connect it to Young's stone but avoided touching it or cleared it on the terminal so Young wouldn't connect with him. He could then use it later to switch bodies with Young and take control of the ship at a pivotal moment. That is the only reason he would have a stone as I can see it.
                          I don't think that screen cap someone posted i definitive proof because the thing the alien is holding looks too big to be a stone.
                          I think it is more likely that somehow the aliens found a way to disrupt the stones or their mind reading technology interfered as some have postulated. We have already seen the stone act screwy when the aliens are around twice. Maybe the proximity of the aliens screws with the stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Guiguioh View Post

One terminal with communication used in the same galaxy = Full body swap between the stone bearer and the terminal user (SGA 5.18 "Identity"; SGU 1.11 "Space")

One terminal with communication used between two galaxies = Half body swap. Only the user with the terminal takes control of the stone bearer on the other end (SG-1 9.02 "Avalon Part 2"; SG-1 9.03 "Origin Part 3"; SG-1 9.19 "Crusade Part 1")

Two terminals with communication used between two galaxies = Full body swap between the two terminal users (Brieftly in SG-1 9.03 "Origin Part 3"; in all applicable SGU episodes besides "Space")

So first, can other forum users comment on that. Am I in the right to think the producers now what they are doing with the stones because it seems pretty consistent to me?

I would also like to know the definitive story about the stone that was on the Alien ship in SGU. Maybe someone could ask Joe Mallozi about that on his blog?
                            thanks for that. I had forgotten that in SG1 Avalon, the full body swap was established after Daniel and Vala activated the second terminal in the Ori galaxy.

You're right their use is pretty consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Guiguioh View Post

Green for that. Great summary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                                You mean to say Rush found another communication device and set of stones on Destiny?

As far as I know no one ever said the aliens were actually on Destiny, as in on the inside, and then they explored it. I don't thing this is right. Where do you get this?
                                No i mean the aliens were already once in destiny.. and found the device.. And iirc rush did mention they had been there before.

actually season 5 - identity
                                Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Working...
                                X