how far has destiny gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astria View Post
    Was this stated on the show, or is it just conjecture by some of the fans?
    by some of the fans.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      and isn't FTL slower then hyperdrive??
      Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      That is currently unknown
      Jelgate is correct although my impression is that it is slower than hyper drive.

Comment

Or it's faster since it needed to cross those huge distances and requires less power. We don't know.
        Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

the destiny has travelled 4 lightyears from earth

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            the destiny has travelled 4 lightyears from earth
            Umm, no. That would be even closer than Proxima Centauri, which is the closest star to us other than the Sun. And it's in our own galaxy. I think a figure closer to 4 billion light years would be accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
              Umm, no. That would be even closer than Proxima Centauri, which is the closest star to us other than the Sun. And it's in our own galaxy. I think a figure closer to 4 billion light years would be accurate.
              4 sounds more accurate

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                4 sounds more accurate
                Nope. The show said billions. That it left our galaxy, passed Pegasus, and many others behind.

Here's the quote from the show (Air part 1):

RUSH: No. That's where the ship originally embarked from.

BRODY: Earth.

(The map begins to pull out and a line shows the route of the ship as the Milky Way fades into the distance.)

PARK: It's leaving the galaxy.

RUSH: It did –- long ago.

(They watch as the line continues to travel through the stars, stopping at a couple of points and then continuing onwards. Brody recognises a constellation as the line whizzes away after a stop-off.)

BRODY: That was Pegasus.

(The line moves on, indicating many more points where the ship stopped.)

SCOTT: So those points are more stars?

WALLACE: No –- they're galaxies.

(Shocked, Scott walks over to Rush.)

SCOTT: Rush. Where the hell are we?

RUSH (quietly): Several billion light years from home.

Comment

Nope. The show said billions. That it left our galaxy, passed Pegasus, and many others behind.

Here's the quote from the show (Air part 1):
                  no i dont think so, 4 makes more sense, i think rush mispoke again

Comment

K. Let me put this another way. 4 light years is the distance to Proxima Centauri in our own galaxy, the closest star other than the Sun. The Destiny is shown leaving MW, PG and many other galaxies behind. It's not just what Rush says.

See pic:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Flightpath.gif
                    - and that's just what we see before the display goes out of the camera frame.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 April 2010, 06:00 PM. Reason: Oversized gif.img tags changed.

Comment

yea but 4 is how far they are

Comment

I'm being trolled, aren't I ? And falling for it.

Comment

I'm being trolled, aren't I ? And falling for it.
                          most likely, i have been drinking....

and i do know destiny is a few billion light years away

Comment

You got me.

Comment

Originally posted by timebandit View Post
                              those aliens probably dont want it to be destroyed, according what rush said about his experiences w/them, but after this episode ... it kind of looked like they were trying to ...

how many galaxies are in the known universe? whole lot of them....

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/universe.html

maybe they're way further out then they think ?
                              Maybe they would have stopped firing once our shields were out THEN boarded.

Comment

Destiny has been in the same Galaxy since the start of the season (how long it had been in that particular galaxy before the expedition arrived is unknown. I believe JM said that the upcoming episode 'Sabotage' would deal with something along the lines of crossing between galaxies or some such.

All we know is that Destiny has travelled 'several billion light years'. Putting that into perspective

Nearest Star to Earth - estimated 4 lightyears away
                                The Diameter of the milkway is just about 100,000 lightyears or so
                                Milky Way to Pegasus is 3 million lightyears (in the show, we don't know what galaxy pegasus is actually referring to, although its most certainly the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy.

The Local group (containing the Milky Way, Pegasus and over 30 galaxies in total is 10 million light years in diameter)

The Virgo Supercluster or the Local Supercluster contains the Local Group along with about 100 other galaxy groups and clusters, it has a diameter of 110 million light years or 33 megaparsecs.

Now 1000 million maxes 1 billion.

Galactic Filaments which are debated to be the largest structures in the universe and contain superclusters.

Lets take the largest known one in the universe and the largest known structure in the univere, the Great Sloan Wall.

50-80 megaparsecs (80 parsecs is about 260 million light years)

The Great Sloan Wall is 1.37 billion light years in length, and is located aproximately 1 billion light years from earth.

So after a bit of background research, how far has the Destiny Travelled if we assume its gone in a relatively straight path? (i.e. not zig zagging back and forth, the graphic shown in air showed it going forward all the time but deviating in its direction relatively slightly.) This is all assumption ofc as we didn't see the 'whole' flight path but i can't see it doubling back on itself, the mission was to go out into the universe ofc, but based on as much reasonable evidence as we have.

Not to forget Rush's statement of 'Were several billion lightyears from earth)

So whats the resonable conlusion?

Its left the Milkway
                                Its Left the Local Cluster
                                Its Left the Local Supercluster
                                Its probably gone beyond the Great Sloan Wall
                                its really frakkin far out into the universe.

Mind boggling numbers when you think about it. I really hope tptb actually looked at these figures when they came up with the idea for the show as Destiny is either insanely overpowered in its speed or theres a rational explanation to it.
                                Last edited by Demoniser; 10 April 2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X