Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else think Chloe was fantastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense taken, whichever is easiest. =)

Originally posted by Jper View Post
    There was one incident when he was 16, and he was pretty broken up over it, and the recent discovery that he actually had a son, didn't help. So I'd say you're staking too much on that. I'd say that changed him, and might make him more comfortable now. Otherwise he'd be an idiot who doesn't learn from his mistakes. So far we've seen nothing to indicate this.

When they thought they were going to die within a day or so. Situation is completely different now.
    It would be too "in your face" for them to completely show everytime they did have sex, so you're right from one technical point of view. They may have only had sex once. But really? I'm sorry, but if you honestly think they aren't continuing to have sex, you might be a bit more naive than Eli. It's the more logical conclusion to draw at this point in time.

There are lots of IUD/IUCD or long-lasting hormonal birth control options commonly used to prevent this. Also, you're still assuming they are having sex, or that they don't use Birth Control.
    Provided they have access to them, which I'm assuming birth control wasn't one of the things brought with them. There is the rhythm method, if Chloe knows her cycle well enough. That would allow for a few days of mostly risk-free sex, but no method is 100%.

And how did she do that?
    The scene early on when she wanted to see the alien ship, to focus him on it instead of realizing what was going on with the computers.

Or maybe she was just following on her own opinions and principles and wasn't blatantly following Scott. She stood on her own. Also, you're staking too much on this relationship they have. I never said it was a good one.
    I do partially agree with you, that she took this stand on her principles, and I do give her props for that. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. It was the second, and most major time that I felt her character was worthwhile; I hope it continues. I am just of the opinion that it won't come up as much as long as she is with Scott.

You know, there are other things in live than sex.
    There are. But not to someone for who can treat sex as a casual thing. Scott so happens to be that way. After all, the fact that Scott and James seem to have no relationship, means that incident in the closet was just a physical thing, with not much emotion or relationship foundation behind it. There's an old saying: "Men trade love for sex; women trade sex for love." There is truth in that, so from Scott's perspective, I'd have a real hard time trusting someone enough to continue with them, after such a betrayal that nearly took my life. I'll admit that he has some feelings for her, but if he goes right back to her afterward with no real communication or hints about how they are easing back into it, then it's mainly because he has decided to keep trading love for sex. In short, wanting to keep his bedwarmer.

Yes, it's a bit crude; some of humanity likes to romanticize our base biological functions, but I'm a bit more pragmatic with respect to them.

No, she doesn't they aren't mutually exclusive. She can perfectly grow as a character and have a relationship with Scott. On the contrary, finally the relationship has the chance to mature, and to become something realistic. And realistically, if they can't make it work, they'll go their separate ways. Happens all the time.
    In one respect, you're right; they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. But that's only for someone who is completely logical, and Scott and Chloe are far more emotional to consider them. There is plenty of evidence in history, of bad relationships that harm one or both, and the only way they become better is to separate. Based on my analysis of human relationships and logical deductions, I have tentatively concluded their relationship is harming both of them as individuals. So it's only natural they'd improve as characters once apart.

I disagree. She is not fulfilling that role. It's not because she has good looks, that there isn't more to her character. Last three episodes have proven this.
    "What this show needs is a sexy alien!" Sound familiar? I would highly suggest not underestimating the appeal of sex on TV. It has been proven to boost ratings. Yes, there is more to her character, but primarily the sexy aspect has been used. Chloe in the shower, anyone? Watching her get dressed? Watching her boink the hot guy?

The trial in Justice gave me my first real glimpse into her inner character, and develop her other than the sex symbol. Her taking a stand here gave me the second. I hold high hopes they continue to go with this angle, over the sex angle. I'd rather see her as a strong, intelligent young woman, then just the character that is used for sex appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
      There are. But not to someone for who can treat sex as a casual thing.

...But that's only for someone who is completely logical, and Scott and Chloe are far more emotional to consider them.....
      I'm going to have to disagree on the first point. Liking casual sex does not equal believing that there is nothing else in life other than sex. Neither of the characters is painted in such a 2 dimensional way. As for the second point, no human is completely logical; that's part of our charm As for Chloe, or Scott for that matter, being too emotional? We saw Chloe as an emotional mess because she just saw her father die in front of her eyes. Add to that that she's a hell of a way away from the life she knew. Finding solace in an another human being doesn't remove you from the logic pool for all time
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Provided they have access to them, which I'm assuming birth control wasn't one of the things brought with them. There is the rhythm method, if Chloe knows her cycle well enough. That would allow for a few days of mostly risk-free sex, but no method is 100%.
        Hate to beat the dead horse yet again, but you don't have to "bring them with you" - the types of birth control we are talking about is something you have done whilst at your doctor, maybe even before you embark on sexual activity. For example, before going off to college or graduate school. And then you have birth control for about 5 years - you don't need to bring anything, and you don't need to do anything.

evilgrin says: Liking casual sex does not equal believing that there is nothing else in life other than sex.
        This? This is so very true.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I have never seen Chloe's character as anything other than irritating. I just simply do not like her. I didn't find her any more aggravating in this episode than others, because she really didn't stand out too much. However, I find that when she does, she is whiny, and in the case of last week's episode, irrational (lets walk up and stare into a bright hole being cut out by alien invaders).

One of my least favorite characters in the franchise.
          Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

It would be too "in your face" for them to completely show everytime they did have sex,
            I agree.

so you're right from one technical point of view. They may have only had sex once. But really? I'm sorry, but if you honestly think they aren't continuing to have sex, you might be a bit more naive than Eli. It's the more logical conclusion to draw at this point in time.
            Honestly, I don't think they would have unsafe sex. I'm guessing if they aren't protected they aren't having sex (you know, there are other things... but we should keep in mind that this is a PG forum ) and if they are protected, well then there's nothing to stop them. Oh to be young and in love.

Do you even know what an IUD is? Otherwise, maybe should read the post above. Seems like a strange thing to say... And I don't consider that second option Birth Control.

The scene early on when she wanted to see the alien ship, to focus him on it instead of realizing what was going on with the computers.
            I disagree, but that's maybe more an opinion or a POV. I don't think she was distracting them on purpose. Maybe time will tell or give us more info. But for now I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, is that really betrayal? meehh, difficult issue. Could go either way.

I do partially agree with you, that she took this stand on her principles, and I do give her props for that. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. It was the second, and most major time that I felt her character was worthwhile; I hope it continues. I am just of the opinion that it won't come up as much as long as she is with Scott.
            I don't know. I think Chloe will do what she believes in, if she's with or without Scott doesn't really matter that much. That's where the relationship between them is very not matured.

There are. But not to someone for who can treat sex as a casual thing. Scott so happens to be that way. After all, the fact that Scott and James seem to have no relationship, means that incident in the closet was just a physical thing, with not much emotion or relationship foundation behind it. There's an old saying: "Men trade love for sex; women trade sex for love." There is truth in that, so from Scott's perspective, I'd have a real hard time trusting someone enough to continue with them, after such a betrayal that nearly took my life. I'll admit that he has some feelings for her, but if he goes right back to her afterward with no real communication or hints about how they are easing back into it, then it's mainly because he has decided to keep trading love for sex. In short, wanting to keep his bedwarmer.
            I'm sorry I don't get the point, what are we/you talking about here?

In one respect, you're right; they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. But that's only for someone who is completely logical, and Scott and Chloe are far more emotional to consider them. There is plenty of evidence in history, of bad relationships that harm one or both, and the only way they become better is to separate. Based on my analysis of human relationships and logical deductions, I have tentatively concluded their relationship is harming both of them as individuals. So it's only natural they'd improve as characters once apart.
            You have a point, but I am not yet convinced of either. IMHO we need more info on their relationship before concluding something like this.

"What this show needs is a sexy alien!" Sound familiar? I would highly suggest not underestimating the appeal of sex on TV. It has been proven to boost ratings. Yes, there is more to her character, but primarily the sexy aspect has been used. Chloe in the shower, anyone? Watching her get dressed? Watching her boink the hot guy?
            You're talking about the first episodes, I am talking about the last three episodes. I find it perfectly acceptable and I actually hope for it, that she can and will be both. She can be a "sex appeal" but she can also be more, as she has proven in the last three episodes.

The trial in Justice gave me my first real glimpse into her inner character, and develop her other than the sex symbol. Her taking a stand here gave me the second. I hold high hopes they continue to go with this angle, over the sex angle. I'd rather see her as a strong, intelligent young woman, then just the character that is used for sex appeal.
            I agree, but I think we need both, in balance.
            A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Hah hah hah... wait a minute... People are arguing about whether or not Chloe and Scott are having sex?! To those who think they are not: Are you watching the show?
              Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Folks

Unless Chloe's pregnancy profalactic items was a part of last night's show, move on. You want to talk about what she did in Divided, please do. You want to ramble on about birth control, then we either start a new thread or we change the title of this one. Cause the topic that was started was about her and what she did in Divided...not for all of you to debate about birth control.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                  I agree. She's got a lot of strength from this episode. Right or wrong, her decision to stick to her guns despite what she might personally lose was very admirable.
                  She finally showed some of the grit her dad had.

BTW clearly lying to Eli, really pissed me off too. Eli considers her a very good friend, he was generally affected by this knowledge.
                  Being she seemed honestly surprised they staged the coup right there, when she knew one would happen at some time, it was to my POV that she did NOT lie to eli.

I like Eli. Alot. He's probably my favorite character next to Rush. But in the past three episodes, I've felt the same way. He has no ability to stand up and say 'No' when he knows he should. He knows it's wrong to spy on the crew, and still he does it. He knew, on some level or another, that Young left Rush to die. He does what's convenient, what he has to do, and tries to do as little else as possible.
                  Very true. He seemed to not want to step up and show he has any backbone, but i did like his telling of young off in last weeks ep.

Unless one of those birth control methods involves some type of alien plants, ya gotta wonder. I mean, just how many condoms did they have with them? And even if she was on the pill...When she went to Icarus, she was expecting to be back in a matter of days, weeks at the most. So, again...You have to wonder if they're not running low on that kind of stuff, especially with Park being such an avid reader.
                  What of that deprevare injection (or what ever itis called) that last for six months???

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Being she seemed honestly surprised they staged the coup right there, when she knew one would happen at some time, it was to my POV that she did NOT lie to eli.
                    I totally agree. Whether or not Eli was convinced or not, I definitely did not get the impression that Chloe was lying.
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                      I totally agree. Whether or not Eli was convinced or not, I definitely did not get the impression that Chloe was lying.
                      She seemed surprised by what she saw on the screen - if she was covering for Rush and distracting Eli, I would imagine she wouldn't bring it to Eli's attention. I don't think she lied to him, but I don't think she saw any point in trying to convince him either. A rock and a hard place.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would make the point that this thread title is "Did anyone else think Chloe was fantastic?" Within the bounds of that statement, unless the thread title is modified, I feel I am free to offer my own opinion on the subject, with the evidence that allows me to draw my conclusions; though I will try to wrap up and minimize certain topics.

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                        Honestly, I don't think they would have unsafe sex. I'm guessing if they aren't protected they aren't having sex (you know, there are other things... but we should keep in mind that this is a PG forum ) and if they are protected, well then there's nothing to stop them. Oh to be young and in love.

Do you even know what an IUD is? Otherwise, maybe should read the post above. Seems like a strange thing to say... And I don't consider that second option Birth Control.
                        I know the topic, but I have to say this last part, because I think it sums things up:

One one hand, you want us to believe they aren't having unsafe sex... despite the fact that we don't know because it hasn't been shown. On the other, you want us to believe she has an IUD... despite the fact that we don't know because it hasn't been shown. You can't have it both ways. Since neither one of us knows for sure, the question cannot be conclusively answered, so i suggest we drop this topic for now, until such a point as she actually becomes pregnant (if indeed she does).

I disagree, but that's maybe more an opinion or a POV. I don't think she was distracting them on purpose. Maybe time will tell or give us more info. But for now I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, is that really betrayal? meehh, difficult issue. Could go either way.
                        I don't know if it's betrayal, but Eli clearly thinks she distracted him on purpose, and you know how he feels about it: hurt, betrayed, used, etc. One could argue it was innocent, but human beings are mostly emotional, even though I prefer logic myself. Despite whatever the truth is, Eli felt hurt by Chloe. And I do find it odd that she suddenly wanted to see the alien ship, despite her strong dislike of them.

I don't know. I think Chloe will do what she believes in, if she's with or without Scott doesn't really matter that much. That's where the relationship between them is very not matured.
                        I certainly hope she stands up and does what she believes in, regardless of Scott; I would like her character more, as I have at the two points I have mentioned thus far.

I'm sorry I don't get the point, what are we/you talking about here?
                        I have made the point of fact that Scott is capable of casual sex without emotions attached. I'm a guy, and I know other guys, and know the truth behind stereotypes. There are two main groups of casual sex guy: those who just want it, and are willing to give up almost everything for it. And those who know they can get any woman they want, and thus will sleep with any woman they like. The third group is the more emotional kind, that only sleeps with those they really care about. If Scott is in this last group, he will be hurt by what Chloe has done, after he was about to risk his life for her in the previous episode; thus, things won't be the same between them. If Scott is in one of the first two groups, she'll be back in his bed.

You have a point, but I am not yet convinced of either. IMHO we need more info on their relationship before concluding something like this.
                        I will agree to this. The next few episodes will hopefully allow me to see where things lay with them. My conclusions thus far are only tentative, and obviously subject to change based up on new information.

You're talking about the first episodes, I am talking about the last three episodes. I find it perfectly acceptable and I actually hope for it, that she can and will be both. She can be a "sex appeal" but she can also be more, as she has proven in the last three episodes.
                        In quite a few episodes, other than the first three, we've seen Chloe in bed with Scott. As a matter of fact, we just saw her in bed with him this episode. It's a standard tactic of TV to up the sexy factor, by showing an attractive woman in bed with a hunky guy; the implication is that they are sleeping together, with all that it implies. And I have been in a relationship with a woman where we slept together, but did not go so far as sex, so I know how that goes.

I agree, but I think we need both, in balance.
                        I would disagree; there is much sexualizing in TV, especially in places that doesn't need it. It's generally a cheap tactic used to raise ratings by appealing to baser instincts in males (and some females). We had our sexy Alien in SG-1... Anise, was it? That Tok'ra? She last, what... 3 episodes? it was an admitted deliberate attempt to bring in sex appeal. Guys are used all the time as characters, without a hint of sexualizing; but it seems almost every woman has to be thrown into a relationship with guys, as if they can't be complete without it. While they may have more to their character, it's almost like they can't be complete without showing their sexuality on screen.

For once, I'd like a strong woman who gets by on the strength of her character, rather than sacrificing some of that for sex appeal. It's a big reason why I like Wray more; even though she had that moment with her lesbian lover, she's mostly been portrayed as an interesting character with more angles to her. Sex is a very small part of it. Chloe? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                          I'm also in this camp. She did seem genuinely surprised at what was happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                            I like Eli. Alot. He's probably my favorite character next to Rush. But in the past three episodes, I've felt the same way. He has no ability to stand up and say 'No' when he knows he should. He knows it's wrong to spy on the crew, and still he does it. He knew, on some level or another, that Young left Rush to die. He does what's convenient, what he has to do, and tries to do as little else as possible.
                            I dislike too how naive he is. While I don't necessarily think he shouldn't have told Young about the implant in Rush, it didn't occur to him that Young might actually kill Rush. Nor did it occur to him that the military might cut off the air to the rebels. And then there's the whole thing in 'Water.' His morality is tied up in 'telling the truth' more than anything else. He needs to grow up, man up, and start doing what he knows is right.
                            Eli is my favorite character. In fact he is the only one I really care about. For one thing he has been kept in the dark about many things. In "Divided" he had no idea what was going on. I also think Eli is not taking sides like everyone else and I'm happy about that. I'm sick of the whole military vs civilian thing going on. Eli only told Young about the transmitter because it was a threat to every ones safety. If Young did kill Rush because of the transmitter than so be it. Rush knew about the transmitter and was not going to tell Young. Rush put everyone in danger because he was only thinking about himself. Eli's morality is tied up in 'telling the truth'. That's good. At least some one is telling the truth. Young, Wray, Rush, Chloe and many others sure the hell aren't telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                              And that opening sequence might just be my favorite in almost 15 years of Stargate.
                              Do you really mean that? Please tell me you don't and that you are just trying to get a reaction out of me? The first 3 minutes of the episode had me thinking, "What is this crap?" and "What the hell have they done to Stargate?" I almost stopped watching the episode because of that scene. I decided to continue on and wish I hadn't. I could have used that time to watch a classic episode of SG-1.

I just have to ask. What other shows do you watch?

Comment

I think you're expecting too much. Scott has already shown that he can't hold himself back, and Chloe did approach him. A pregnancy is inevitable, unless she can't have kids, or the aliens did something to her. As for her being pregnant already, well, a woman can know within a couple of weeks whether she is pregnant or not, without any kit. It all depends on how well they know their own body and how attentive they are to signs.

Still, this is an interesting turn for Chloe. On one hand, she manipulated Eli, a sweet guy who trusted her and was still there for her despite her picking Scott. On the other hand, she took a decision that put her at odds with Scott. Whether it was because she was finally growing as a character on her own, or whether she figured she could just soothe everything over with Scott with sex later, is unknown. If they are back together after this, I'll know which one it is. But I'll echo the thoughts spoken by others, that she needs to get away from Scott to grow as her own character. Right now, she's just fulfilling the role of sexy woman in a sexy relationship. I wonder if the producers forced this aspect to get more viewers and ratings?

Lastly, Scott is Captain America. It's a throwback to the idea that, when given a choice, a shallower woman will pick muscles and strength over intelligence in their men. It's part of why I feel SGU is so realistic; Chloe, a young and attractive woman, made the choice the vast majority of women make in their younger years: went with the muscle guy instead of the brains guy. And then we wonder why people are getting dumber and dumber as time goes on...
                                Your entire comment is about dramatic relationship crap. Who's having sex who? Is Chloe pregnant? Will Chloe get pregnant? Does Chloe have birth control? What kind of birth control? Are you serious?

SG-1 and SGA had 15 good seasons without focusing on things like this. Sure they had their emotional/dramatic moments but nowhere near the level of SGU.

I expect to see these types of discussion on forum of some teen drama or soap opera but not Stargate.

When I say Stargate has become an overly dramatic show that borders on being a soap opera it is for this very reason.

The focus should be on going through the Stargate, exploring new planets, finding new technology, encountering aliens, learning about the alien’s culture, learning about the Ancients, explanations about the technology they have found and doing it as a team. That’s what Stargate is about. It should not be about who is or isn’t having sex, getting pregnant or in a relationship who. These are types of things you get from a soap opera which is why I have compared the two.

The fact that Kaiphantom's post is as long as it is without once referencing anything remotely related to anything sci-fi shows the problem with the show.

In case someone throws the Carter/O’Neill thing at me(someone has before) that was built up a little at a time over 8 seasons and was a secondary plot that was always in the background and NEVER because a focus of the show. There was less Jack and Sam romance (including the part with Pete and the woman Jack was seeing) in all 8 seasons of SG-1(only including the seasons RDA was a regular cast member) than there has been in 1 episode of SGU.

Comment

Working...
                                X