Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember, for dramatic effect, sci fi writers often make mistakes with speed effects and distance scales.

Comment

"Used the gate all day" only means that they used it extensively during a specific day;
      It doesn't mean that they gate was active 24 hours, or anywhere near it.
      (if for example, I find myself driving a car for more then 4 hours spread across some time during a day - I could definitely say that I was 'on the road all day' during that day... it's just a normal exaggerated talk, nobody is Data from Star-Trek saying 'I was on the road 4 hours 3 minutes and 26 seconds yesterday').

Obviously they meant it about using the gate multiple times during the away mission to the sand planet, once for dialing earth, and one for getting to the destiny in the first place (if that even counts).
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post

They say they were operating the gate all day yesterday.
        Was this last episode or another day entirely and what were they looking for?
        I interpreted that to be referring to Air pt. 3, when they were constantly using the gate between the destiny and the desert planet.
        sigpic
        FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???
          I think if you're looking for a payoff in each episode like you got with SG1 and Atlantis, you're watching the wrong show. I also think they made this clear from the beginning. They aren't going to give you a "story of the week" every week that gets tied up and finished. There have been plenty of other shows that have a season long story arc but also include a story of the week piece. Veronica Mars is a great example of this, Universe is not.

Universe is not SG1 or Atlantis and you won't like Universe for the same reasons you liked any previous incarnation of Stargate. If you're going to watch Universe you simply have to except it for what it is, which is a completely different show than SG1 or Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
            remember, for dramatic effect, sci fi writers often make mistakes with speed effects and distance scales.

So true..
            But for precisions sake.

I also think the ship dove into the atmosphere on purpose.
            It may have been scouping what it needed.

Comment

As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???
              Everyone was hating how SGU was looking like a BSG ripoff.
              BSG started with the end of Civilization, (destruction of the 12 colonies)
              I wish it was more like BSG

Comment

I think the problem here is that we're having to wait a week for less action than usual. If I were watching this on DVD I would have no problem with it. But I think everyone just needs to chill out - I'm hoping they'll fix the ship soon and then start exploring planets and finding cool stuff every week.

Comment

Originally posted by sinderg View Post
                  Everyone was hating how SGU was looking like a BSG ripoff.
                  BSG started with the end of Civilization, (destruction of the 12 colonies)
                  I wish it was more like BSG
                  Amen...
                  it's pretty sad that I'm left to dissect the orbit mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                    Amen...
                    it's pretty sad that I'm left to dissect the orbit mechanics.
                    i'm looking at it as an improved SG-1..... stronger writing, a full season storyarc, stronger more realistic acting, less pigeon-holing of characters...

chloe... LT James....
                    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                      I think if you're looking for a payoff in each episode like you got with SG1 and Atlantis, you're watching the wrong show. I also think they made this clear from the beginning. They aren't going to give you a "story of the week" every week that gets tied up and finished. There have been plenty of other shows that have a season long story arc but also include a story of the week piece. Veronica Mars is a great example of this, Universe is not.

Universe is not SG1 or Atlantis and you won't like Universe for the same reasons you liked any previous incarnation of Stargate. If you're going to watch Universe you simply have to except it for what it is, which is a completely different show than SG1 or Atlantis.
                      I have read this a few times throughout the thread. I am not bothered in the slightest by SGU not being an 'ep of the week' type show.

But I think I am still entitled to something actually happening each week.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm the reverse. I was anti-excited about SGU becuse I was so mad about SGA getting canceled. Not that SGA was that great of a show towards the end, because it wasn't, but because they needed another season to wrap things up well--and the ratings justified it.

But I gave SGU a chance and I'm SO glad that I did. I love the slower pace because it leaves a chance to focus on the characters. I loved Rush's slow descent into a withdrawal-caused stupor. It was wonderful that there was a problem that didn't get immediately solved by some techno-jargon spouting super genius.

This isn't just good sci-fi, it's a good show on many levels which sci-fi far too often is not. In fact, I'm going to try to get some of my friends to watch who would never watch sci-fi normally because it's only good on a popcorn-movie level.

Comment

Just chiming in here... the pacing and story arc wouldn't be an issue if they would just give us some characters we want to get to know and learn to care about. So far there is absolutely *nothing* redeeming about Rush's character - I grow to detest him more with every episode - and he gets tons of screen time, so I have no interest in waiting it out! And as an adult female I am not intrigued by the genius-boy or the gratuitous female shower-scene. I will keep watching because I am a diehard fan, but I need to care about these people.

Comment

"Darkness" is not even over. Yeah, they found a system with maybe some habitable planets...do they have enough power to fire up the Stargate to get there? Is Destiny strong enough (or even able to) land? On the one hand, the ship sorta addressed stuff they couldn't, on the other hand, it's not real solved. They haven't even got power for the ship. There's a *lot* of speculation on what Destiny can do flying through a gas giant or near a star and how that helps the power situation but *none* of that has actually played out on the screen.

They are still in it deep.

And I'm enjoying the characters. I *like* Rush and hope he turns out to be a good guy once he settles down. I like Eli and Matt and Youn gand Riley and Volker. I'm not sure about Chloe yet and James is still too much unknown. TJ's gotten some screen time but I'm undecided about her, as well as Telford.

What it mostly seems to me I guess is that people are used to SG-1 being cancelled and especially with it's episodic nature, it's easy to see one episode or look back and see things in completion and have a lot of answers. Now we have a new series that is much more serial in terms of how things, including answers, are being revealed and with a week to think and post between hour long pieces, there seems to a big tendency to see un-answered questions as plot holes and un-solved problems as mistakes and un-addressed challenges as dropped opportunities.

The story being unfolded has covered maybe 48 hours, certainly only about 36 once they've reached the ship, but we have had four weeks to beat it all to death even though we've still seen *very little* of the Universe universe. However the writers and everyone involved have had months to think it out from being to end. Keep some perspective and maybe a bit of faith that there's a cohesiveness there we haven't had the chance to see
                            If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                            Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

I think that the producers and executive writers as well as the studio and Sy Fy channel believed that the critically acclaimed success of SGA says viewers want these types of stories. What they failed to take into account is that the majority of the Sy Fy channel viewers have a history with the Stargate franchise and thus will have expectations that SGU will be similar in nature. Even when viewers are told, "It [SGU] is completely different.

One big difference between BSG and SGU is that almost 30 years have past between when the first BSG was on TV [which was cancelled after only 1 season because of continually declining ratings season and the followup Galactic 1980 only lasted 5 months] and that most viewers don't even remember the original BSG and how bad it was or were even born when it first aired. SGU has SG1 and SGA to contend with including all the SG1 and SGA fan base and even contend with some SG1 and SGA episodes that are still shown in syndication.

While the actors, executive producers ,the director and writers have all said that SGU is totally different than SG1 and SGA, it's new, it's fresh with totally different characters, those that will make the shows a hit and thus high ratings, are the SG fans.

If the gang leave Destiny via the shuttles for one of the habitable worlds, Destiny ends up being destroyed by the sun and the gang are marooned on a planet a billion lightyears from earth , with no way to get back to earth except encounter an alien race, will new viewers and the old SG fans find that interesting enough to continue watching?

I have my doubts.
                              "There's Never Enough Time"

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                                i'm looking at it as an improved SG-1..... stronger writing, a full season storyarc, stronger more realistic acting, less pigeon-holing of characters...

chloe... LT James....
                                If only they spent enough time on the characters to make to care.
                                No one has a story worth listening to. Only Rush is dramatic.
                                The characters are as flat as an aristocrats back side.

Comment

Working...
                                X