This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    What you see on Gateworld is the excessively vocal Complaints Department whining their hardest. It's not uncommon in fandom of any kind.
    I think the key complainers are the segments of Stargate fandom who feel alienated by SGU's new direction. After the 5th season of Atlantis, I personally believe that it was time to go into a new direction.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post

From the edge to Planetary approach
      31,265,872.332 miles in 10 hours = 868.49645366666666666666666666667 miles per second 0.46622671737831173525443503219134 % of Light speed

3,126,587.2331999999999999999999998 Mph

Assuming my math is right.
      Where did you get "31,265,872.332 miles" from?

Comment

At one moment I checked the time and noticed there were only a few minutes left - so I thought "what the hell is this, there is no more time for anything to happen?!" ... yeah, I kinda felt strange ... somehow I could not believe they managed to do a whole (real) 42 minutes episode where so few happened.
        The whole time I was waiting, waiting, waiting ... and while doing that, the time went and actually nothing happened.
        I know, they are trying to introduce characters and what not, but, really?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
          seriously... i agree AtlantisRule...

i think too many ppl have ADD today when it comes to TV...
          if they don't get everything they want immediately upon the opening credits, then they say the show sucks

unlike me, who paid ZERO attention to SGU over the last YEAR (i only looked for the series premiere date)... and decided, "hey, self, maintain zero expectations, and give it a full first season before judging...."
          and it's working so far

but, of course, i'm open-minded and patient......
          Mate I am as open minded and patient a person can be.....but I still hate being bored.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            Mate I am as open minded and patient a person can be.....but I still hate being bored.
            maybe you should watch Stargate Universe then.... i find it quite interesting.... especially since they've developed a whole new story style for Stargate...

i really is worth checking out...
            Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
            Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
            Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
            Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

maybe you should watch Stargate Universe then.... i find it quite interesting.... especially since they've developed a whole new story style for Stargate...

i really is worth checking out...
              I am going to assume your tongue was firmly entrenched in the side of your cheek with that comment.
              sigpic

Comment

Comment

seriously... i agree AtlantisRule...

i think too many ppl have ADD today when it comes to TV...
                  if they don't get everything they want immediately upon the opening credits, then they say the show sucks

unlike me, who paid ZERO attention to SGU over the last YEAR (i only looked for the series premiere date)... and decided, "hey, self, maintain zero expectations, and give it a full first season before judging...."
                  and it's working so far

but, of course, i'm open-minded and patient......
                  ADD is frequently over diagnosed.
                  I am not ADD or ADHD. I do have a small attention span for uninteresting characters, and bad plots.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Where did you get "31,265,872.332 miles" from?
                  I create a 3D file in AutoCAD.
                  Added one Star 4 Planets with the last the size of Jupiter.
                  I created put the photo in the file and matched the planet's apparent size.
                  I created 3D primitive of Destiny and placed Destiny at roughly the same angle and position as scene on screen in the multiple shots.

I then drew a line from the center of planet to bow of the destiny. Since this File is from the pre-existing file on the Earth Solar System this was simpler.

I could show you the shots if you like

Of course there are unknown variables.
                  But it shows that they were at considerable distance, covered that distance and then hit the atmosphere with no apparent braking maneuver and then sling shot toward the star, without a mark on the ship..largely no shields.

That atmosphere they traveled through was thick enough to be visible.
                  NOTE: that aerobraking happens at altitudes where the atmosphere is next to non existent. All we should have seen is a fireball of IONIZED gas passing through what would seem like...space.

They showed Destiny as though passing through at interplanetary speeds was like a high altitude plane streaming in the Stratosphere.

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
                  um... they are 4 episodes in. What do you expect? They cant develop people as fast as they coild in SG-1 or SGA. They have the main 13 (or whatever number) Characters then another so many secondary characters.

*politely points several people to bottom line of sig*

Wow.. I am not making friends in this thread.
                  Sir, with all DUE Respect.

I expect dynamic characters.
                  I expect good acting.
                  I expect a decent plot.
                  I expect logical plot devices.
                  I expect continuity.
                  I expect details to add to a believable story.
                  I expect something to happen.

The problem I have:
                  1.The story on the characters is unfocused. (Doesn't matter if that's how they want it.
                  2. At least two of the peripheral characters, wives and mothers was some pretty poor acting.
                  3. The Plot is weak, Survival is one thing but being able to do little about is another.
                  4. If you're going to corner the characters then do it for real . None of the "pinches" they were in on the first two episodes were well reasoned, from a genius and an MIT student.
                  5. Again with what we know about the gate universe somethings and people should be helping and they aren't. (contrivance)
                  6. The details we've gotten haven't added to anything about the story. If the story...the environment the characters are in...isn't believable then why would we thust believe in the characters themselves.
                  7. Most importantly this whole thing doesn't have to be about survival. Even in the least complicated stories of humanity there are other avenues to take, Everyone has personal issues but none have really materialized between the characters themselves...(Not yet anyway) They compartmentalized each character telling separate stories leeching time that could be put else where. Combining character stories is one of the proven methods of engaging and informing audiences quickly on identities. We start to associate people with the events. Here on Destiny it might as well be one dark blur to another.

All that being arguable, sir, as for whether to watch or not to watch is a decision I will hold to my own counsel. You are not in a position to dictate otherwise, let us not be presumptuous.
                  Last edited by Saquist; 20 October 2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

I expect dynamic characters.
                    I expect good acting.
                    I expect a decent plot.
                    I expect logical plot devices.
                    I expect continuity.
                    I expect details to add to a believable story.
                    I expect something to happen.
                    That's a good list for things I want in a show that I watch.

About SGU (again, my own opinion and feelings):
                    • Acting is probably the best thing in the show, I love the depth, range and little subtleties that each character shows; rarely seen in SG-1 and SGA.
                    • The plot is decent and with an immense potential, some of the ideas were done before (to different degrees) by other shows, but everybody borrow from others in this field - the prospect of being stranded at the other side of the universe is something I really love.
                    • Everybody seem to do what they are supposed to do, and much more realistically then it was done in the previous shows - the surroundings and evolving situations move the plot forward in a very believable way.
                    • The show puts itself in a very difficult place to begin with (being a second spin-off of a very well established universe) - and yet it tries to separate itself from the rest of the shows but literally taking it as far away as possible - I think it managed to do that quite well. The only issue I currently have about the established story is the LRC being misused (and I actually hope it gets kawooshed all-together at some point).
                    • Everything is put so well together in such a believable way... I actually feel like I know how it feels to be on the Destiny, everything is so detailed and payed attention to... And the characters interact with their new environment in a very believable and 'real' way - I truly enjoy watching them walk around the ship - every corridor just feels special. (I only got this feeling before during the very first episodes of Atlantis, and basically no where else). And since the surroundings directly influence the story and characters, it all comes together extremely fluidly and satisfyingly.
                    • This is something that I do hope will pick up soon; however, since this show definitely does an admirable job at fleshing out the characters and current situation - I believe that the start will be much slower then the rest of the show, and as time will pass, the pace will accelerate as well (since much of the fine details that the show shows us would be already established).

Overall, this is my opinion - even though that basically nothing much happened during Darkness (plot wise), the 45 minutes of the show passes so damn quickly and felt so damn good - that I can't help but quiver at the prospect of the myriad of situations that the future holds for this crew!
                    sigpic

Comment

I keep asking myself, why they thought it had to be this slow.
                      Lets face it...it's a ship they will eventually get full control of this ship and start heading home, somehow. The question is when.

I think the current trend is a formula for monotony.
                      While mothers with infants would love that...It's just not up my alley.
                      I hope it ramps up and quick.

Comment

ADD is frequently over diagnosed.
                        I am not ADD or ADHD. I do have a small attention span for uninteresting characters, and bad plots.
                        1. i never said you had legitimate ADD or ADHD....... i said some people have ADD when it comes to TV... it's like if a viewer has to wait more than 1 week for something, they hate the show..... it's all "now now NOW!"

Most importantly this whole thing doesn't have to be about survival.
                        and here is where i decided that your entire post is completely worthless
                        why?
                        simple:
                        while, no, the "whole thing" (i assume you mean the governing story in SGU) does not have to be about survival.... TPTB have MADE it about survival... so deal with it, or move on

that's like saying that SGA didn't have to use a Deus Ex Machina all the time. it's true, they did not, but the writers decided to

or Sam and Jack did not have to suffer their unrequited love.... it's true, they could have gotten together..... but the writers felt otherwise

it does not matter what something has to be or does not have to be
                        all that matters is what the writers have decided to make it
                        and you can either take it or leave it

or

if you can do better, go right ahead

Comment

I keep asking myself, why they thought it had to be this slow.
                          Lets face it...it's a ship they will eventually get full control of this ship and start heading home, somehow. The question is when.

I think the current trend is a formula for monotony.
                          While mothers with infants would love that...It's just not up my alley.
                          I hope it ramps up and quick.
                          the show is not actually all that slow
                          it's just slow in relation to SGA
                          and i think that's the problem..... you in effect have 15 years of Stargate being accepted as having a certian pace, of solving everything in 40 minutes, etc... and now a new Stargate show comes along that does away with all that, that requires patience... that does not solve everything in 40 minutes each week.....

it's all relative

i bet that most of hte people complaining about the pacing are simply used to SG-1 and SGA's 40-minute fix-all method and are just struggling to change their expectations and adapt to the new format
                          i also bet that a good deal of those same people would not be copmlaining if they had never seen SG-1 and SGA before SGU

also

there's no guarantee that they'll eventually get full control of the ship
                          yeah, it's nice to think that
                          but i'm expecting them not to
                          at least not for several seasons........ if at all......

Comment

1. i never said you had legitimate ADD or ADHD....... i said some people have ADD when it comes to TV... it's like if a viewer has to wait more than 1 week for something, they hate the show..... it's all "now now NOW!"
                            I think you're exaggerating our expectations just a bit sir.
                            (more like a lot, sir)

it does not matter what something has to be or does not have to be
                            all that matters is what the writers have decided to make it
                            and you can either take it or leave it
                            Well, sir, one of the best things about having my unique set of abilities and intellect is that I find other options. I choose to learn from others failures and even my own. Observing the literary mistakes in SGU helps me to shoot higher and expect more.

the show is not actually all that slow
                            it's just slow in relation to SGA
                            and i think that's the problem..... you in effect have 15 years of Stargate being accepted as having a certian pace, of solving everything in 40 minutes, etc... and now a new Stargate show comes along that does away with all that, that requires patience... that does not solve everything in 40 minutes each week.....
                            I'm sorry to inform you, sir, that...this does not apply.

One the great Stargate Atlantis shows were the First Strike and Adrift and the episode that followed that. That was the perfect example of an extended situation of survival, peril and characters interaction. The only place I fault it is for the ending which always goes right back to the way it was before. This was very very good story telling, and frankly above average for TV.

Infact I'd say that the season finales have often been better in SGA than in most than SG-1... The Storm Part I and II The Siege. (which had the same ending problems) Would I change some things if I were doing it...yes...only the bad though. I would change just about everything about SGU.

I'd give them something to do, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                              What, you have the gift of foresight to see the future of SGU's ratings in it's second a third season? Just because something happened to one show doesn't automatically mean it will happen to a completely different show.
                              No gift of foresight here.

What happened to Heros was that because of the popularity of the first season, the producers and writers wanted more character driven stories which meant less action in the stories told, less direct connections of the character stories to the overall series story arc. This led to viewers who disconnected from the show. For Heros, and this can happen with any TV show and usually does, producers, writers, channel executives, and some influential advertising people all try to put their stamp on a show. Short definition is: they have agendas [politics]. When a show becomes hugely sucessufull, with high ratings, you see the agendas come into play because the stories and the show change. While I use Heros as an example, there are literally hundreds of TV shows that have fallen victim to this.

The point is that character stories often fall prey to "agenda" [meaning that influential people on the set impose their wants] regardless of what it does to the show and how viewers will receive the "agenda" which usually signals the start of the decline of show. These types of stories [character driven] are not good plot formula for longevity in TV entertainment except in Soap Operas but are especially not good in science fiction stories whose fans expect an action story, rather than character drama story.

SGU is using a story format that simply does not work in a Science Fiction venue. Some may say BSG, Heros, and any # of shows that are character driven work for science fiction, but BSG was the exception because it had lots of action. The character stories were part of the action story, not the story.

SGU premise of darker, more gritty, stories is a good idea, but a science fiction show that is nothing more than a show about characters with little to no action will not garner a large following of science fiction fans.

When viewers and fans hear the people running the show say "give it time" or "stay with us, it gets better "typically means that what the producers and executives of the show thought would connect with the viewing audience didn't, but because the episodes have already been shot and can't be changed they don't want those who do watch to abandon the show least the series be cancelled.
                              Last edited by DavidR; 28 October 2009, 07:53 PM.
                              "There's Never Enough Time"

Comment

You Americans are just too spoiled with your action shows where the pacing is often way too rushed. "Darkness" was perfectly paced and plot-driven. Just because there was no action doesn't mean it wasn't a good episode. Re-watch it right before watching the continuation (1.05 "Light") and you'll see that it's a very good and actually well-written episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X