This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm some points:

1.) Watching it on Hulu made the CG look choppy; on TV it looked much better.
    (framerate parsing issue?)

2.) I enjoyed this more than the previous episodes, because of the humour, but it's still riddled with holes.

3.) I HATE the communications stones. It's just a giant problem the writers are going to have to work around constantly.

4.) I don't understand all the hate Lt. James is getting from the women. For years hollywood has been pushing rail-thin waifs on us, and for once we have a REAL woman on television, and people are COMPLAINING? Only in America is a DD considered 'large'.
    (btw Amanda Tapping and Teryl Rothery are JUST AS LARGE, but the director isn't showing them off).

5.) Chloe is adorable. Not all women can be Sam Carter. Give her a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomgoggles View Post
      2.) I enjoyed this more than the previous episodes, because of the humour, but it's still riddled with holes.
      Examples?
      You sir (or ma'am) are a person of greatness
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
        I've just finished watching this episode now, and I can honestly say it felt cheap.

Two my mind only 2 things of note happened.

1. Rushes meltdown, I think this proves beyond any reasonable doubt that that Carter and, or Mckay need to LRC in to cast a second pair of eyes. I understand this will not happen as SGU needs to establish its own characters before bringing in the cameos, but its the obvious soultion to the problem, and pretty much all the fans know it.
        At this point the surviours have only been on the Destiny for around 3 days. The producers have stated and the dialogue implies that the ep takes place only a couple of days after Air. Now they have only been on the ship a few days, SGC has only been aware for a couple of days, it seems fairly plausible to me that Mckay and Carter, who are in important postions on the Hammond and Atlantis, cant drop everthing at once and fix things. Further they would do no good, as it is stated in the episode the ship is broke, there is no more power. Like a battery thats gone dead, the ships power reserves need to be recharged somehow. Presumbly in a future ep. Meanwhile Carter and Mckay could turn up, having had to leave important postions in the defence of earth, look at the Destiny and presumbly shrug, say there was nothing for them to do and worry they would still be conected through the LRC stones when the ship crashed into the sun.

In the end the writers dicate the scale of the problem, here they have made sure that currently there is no valid reason for Mckay and Carter to be there. Its only been a few days, the ship is it seems has power problems that not even Mckay could fix and its about to crash into the sun. Not much point in them turning up. Further tptb have stated that further episodes will deal with the lrc stones and use of scientists from earth.

Comment

This made me smile. Green for that.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Going back and reading some of the earlier posts, I was rather surprised by the invectives against Chloe because she certainly hasn't evoked the same kind of sentiments from me and it's caused me to wonder why. The obvious conclusion that I've come to is that perhaps being the parent of two girls of differing personalities has made me more tolerant of the quirks of younger ladies. Considering what the poor girl has been through, I think she's holding up pretty well.

At this stage, I'm not seeing romance or a love triangle between Scott/Eli/Chloe. Between Scott and Chloe last week, I saw the kindness between strangers trying to make sense of the insane situation they find themselves in. Scott, seems to me to be sensitive to a fault. Those who have suffered much often demonstrate a strong sensitivity to the pain of others.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Did anybody else notice Rush unpacking a bag in his Kino segment? I thought he came through the stargate with just the clothes on his back, I wonder where he and Chloe got the extra stuff?

And Young and Telford's timelines did not match up. Young went from O'neil's office, across town to his wife's house, and back to the pentagon in the same amount of time that Telford walked to the shuttle and had a conversation with TJ and Scott.

Also (spoilers for next episode)
              Spoiler:

Apparently the scene where Eli convinces the crew to make their kino diary entries occurs next episode after they believe they are going to fly into the sun. They come up with a plan where some of the crew can escape on the shuttle and they hold a lottery to see who will go on the shuttle. That puts a slightly different spin of the kino segments and makes me wonder why they showed them in this episode, out of context.

Comment

Maybe he took the scenic route through the ship.
                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Maybe he is like one of the guys i work with. He has been 'dressed down' so often he no longer stands up for himself even when he is in the right.
                  Very astute. When people are treated like the way Volker was on a consistent basis, sooner or later, one of three possibilities happens.

1. They keep their head down and keep allowing others to walk all over them.

2. They get pushed to the wall too often and fight back in some way. All of a sudden they've got backbone that they never knew.

3. They decide to push back a little too hard and just SNAP. I can see Volker going as berserk as Rush one day if he's pushed hard enough. I think that would be an interesting character development for him.

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                  Riley - he's becoming a favourite of mine but I'm a bit worried about him. He's been developed more than the other secondary characters so I hope this doesn't mean he's going to be killed off to add 'realism and shock value' to the series.
                  I'll be pissed if TPTB kill off Riley. He and Volker are my favorite secondaries. They have a chance to become more highly developed than any other secondary characters previously seen (with perhaps the exception of Todd).
                  sigpic

Comment

Green for you sir.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                      Going back and reading some of the earlier posts, I was rather surprised by the invectives against Chloe because she certainly hasn't evoked the same kind of sentiments from me and it's caused me to wonder why. The obvious conclusion that I've come to is that perhaps being the parent of two girls of differing personalities has made me more tolerant of the quirks of younger ladies. Considering what the poor girl has been through, I think she's holding up pretty well.
                      Girl loses her father, they show one scene of her in grief, and people make claims that are basically quite childish I thought. I agree, I really just have not even seen enough to know how her character will be. What I have seen, watching this episode was someone a little bit stronger than the haters where whining about after the premiere. Sorry, they fail.

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
                      I've just finished watching this episode now, and I can honestly say it felt cheap.

Two my mind only 2 things of note happened.

1. Rushes meltdown, I think this proves beyond any reasonable doubt that that Carter and, or Mckay need to LRC in to cast a second pair of eyes. I understand this will not happen as SGU needs to establish its own characters before bringing in the cameos, but its the obvious soultion to the problem, and pretty much all the fans know it.
                      And here in is why SGA began to fail for me. The idea that everything can be magically fixed within 40 minutes really goes beyond belief. As someone else stated; it is inexplicable that McKay and Carter can solve centuries old problems in 40 minutes where as more advanced societies couldn't? I think you simply have failed to realize that this is just NOT Stargate Atlantis. This is a new show going in a different direction. I can accept if people have a preference towards one style, but really people also have to begin understanding at some point that carrying over serious flaws from the other shows will defeat the best part of this show. I want to see people come up with real world solutions, not magical hocus pocus as the Stargate franchise began to employ in later years.

Does anyone even remember the movie that started this all? Please go re-watch. Aside from the Stargate, that was a very low tech group of humans. Part of the whole point was for outmatched humans to overcome complex and difficult situation. I seem to remember Daniel Jackson finding the needed symbol almost by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        IIRC Young said "You want a medal for that"..
                        It was "gold star", not "medal" The difference, IMO, is that kids are given gold stars in primary school, so he's emphasising how juvenile Young thinks it is for Eli to be making that clarification. Just one of many, many clever moments by the writers.
                        Last edited by Lahela; 20 October 2009, 10:48 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Rather blunt compared to first three eps.
                          Tst

Comment

Speaking of Cloe, The actress who plays her kinda reminds me of someone quite a fair amount, and its starting to drive me bit nuts trying to think of who.

Part of me wants to say Summer Glau, but I think it's someone besides her.
                            Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 21 October 2009, 11:49 PM.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

4.) I don't understand all the hate Lt. James is getting from the women. For years hollywood has been pushing rail-thin waifs on us, and for once we have a REAL woman on television, and people are COMPLAINING? Only in America is a DD considered 'large'.
                              I don't hate her and I'm a woman. I agree with you in that it makes a refreshing change to have a female character presented as being attractive even though she doesn't have the build of a stick insect. I wouldn't say that she's the first, though, because BSG's Number Six model Cylons didn't look like stick insects either.

The rail-thin waif look is a fad which started with Twiggy back in the 1960's.

Spoiler:

Even Twiggy is against what is called the size zero craze.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...actresses.html

Ironically, Twiggy was one of the first models blamed for eating disorders in young women when she burst on to the fashion scene aged 16 in the Sixties.

"I was very skinny, but that was just my natural build,' she said. "I always ate sensibly - being thin was in my genes."

Anyway, back to James. The scene where Eli is confronted by some of the crew indicates that there's a tough edge to her. All I ask is that this aspect of her is explored and developed so she isn't just on the show for big boobs and bonking.
                              Last edited by ciannwn; 21 October 2009, 02:37 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Just finished watching it. And TBH I found this ep kinda boring *shrugs* I liked the scene with Young and his wife in the flashback in Air part 1, but I didn't like the scene between them in this ep. I so like Young though but I hope he gets a little more to do after he recovers from his injuries

I'm beginning to take to TJ now, the first couple of eps I say I wasn't sure about her but she's growing on me. I'm still dying to know what she's hiding though, why she quite her job.

Now Rush, he's a complete ass. I wish one of them would smack him one to shut him up. I was so wishing Young would have shoved a sock in his mouth

The last quarter of a hour was okay, but the rest of it pretty much dragged

Oh and also, I don't see what the big deal is with the shower scene *shrugs*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X