Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    Well I love the song and thought it fitted the episode and series story very well.
    I totally agreed. It fit perfectly.

Comment

I'm listening to the song right now.

Does that tell you what my opinion is?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
        I didn't watch BSG, so I can't comment on specific instances, but I would say that instrumental versions of modern songs do count in that they are just as likely to take the viewer out of the action as a non-instrumental song.
        But the song in BSG was woven into the storyline of the show...going all the way back to the previous season (end of S3) of the show. It played a very important part in the show. It wasn't just there so they could have a song.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

I didn't mind the firefly style contemporary song with lyrics, as long as they don't overdue it. the better scifi scores are classical style, DS9, VOY, TNG, SG1 all solid classical backgrounds. BSG was pretty good, as was Farscape.

Comment

But the song in BSG was woven into the storyline of the show...going all the way back to the previous season (end of S3) of the show. It played a very important part in the show. It wasn't just there so they could have a song.
            Oh, I see, so in that particular usage, it took on meaning within the show, making you stay in the action when you heard it, rather than taking you out by making you think of the music, I'd guess. Is that correct? Then I would say that was skillful use of a modern song, rather than distracting use, as I thought it was here in SGU.

My issue isn't whether a song is good or bad, fits or doesn't fit, it's that when you are thinking about the music, you are no longer immersed in the action. To me, that's not a positive effect.

Comment

My issue isn't whether a song is good or bad, fits or doesn't fit, it's that when you are thinking about the music, you are no longer immersed in the action. To me, that's not a positive effect.
              well, the song with lyrics was played at the end, when there wasn't really much" action" going on, it was the plot resolution part of the story. instead of sitting around " hanging a lantern on it" like the did on previous stargates.

I see your point, but slightly disagree with its current context in this one instance.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.
                I know the feeling, but I wasn't angry more like surprised. And my initial fears are starting to manifest itself and this is only the 3rd episode. The song was nice I must admit, and it made sense, "don't forget to breathe".

As someone that watches shows like Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice where it is normal to have 4 contemporary songs played throughout the episode that fits into the storyline, I have no major quarrels but I was definitely surprised when it was played on SGU.

It definitely brings this series more towards the teen-based audience IMO.

Comment

Oh, I see, so in that particular usage, it took on meaning within the show, making you stay in the action when you heard it, rather than taking you out by making you think of the music, I'd guess. Is that correct? Then I would say that was skillful use of a modern song, rather than distracting use, as I thought it was here in SGU.
                  Basically. If you never plan on watching the show, here is specifically why the song was in the show....big spoilers lay ahead....

Spoiler:
                  Song was introduced in the very last episode of S3. It "switched on" the final 4 cylons. They had been hearing the pieces of the music and the lyrics of that song when they entered this particular nebula. The guy that does the music on BSG took the song All Along the Watchtower and tweaked it for the show. So at the very end of that episode they revealed the entire song they were hearing...in a very cool and effective way, imo.

The next season we learned that one of those final 4 cylons wrote that song. Starbuck, not one of the final 4 cylons, had died towards the end of S3 but miraculously showed back up in the final episode of S3. In a S4 episode it was revealed that she knew how to play that song so the character believed it had some kind of importance. In the very last episode of the show, she finally figured out what the importance of the song was to her...the notes contained the coordinates to Earth. It was our Earth, 150,000 yrs ago but the final scene of the show was a pull back to reveal our modern Times Square in NYC and they used the more familiar version of Watchtower as the show faded out.

The song was basically part of the show's "All of this happened before, and all of this will happen again" theme that was ever present throughout the entire series.
                  So Watchtower wasn't just a random song that people weren't expecting after the first time it was played.

As far as the song in SGU goes, I didn't like the song they used even though the lyrics fit. So yeah when it came on I really took notice so it did draw me out because well Stargate never uses songs...except in Unending but I already didn't like that episode (loved the song though)...oh and SGA's Vegas which was probably my favorite ep of that season..., but I don't mind them using songs every now and then now that I know they might. I watch other shows that use them so I've gotten used to it, but I do see your point.
                  Last edited by LoneStar1836; 11 October 2009, 11:11 AM.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

I see your point, but slightly disagree with its current context in this one instance.
                    Well, it is entirely subjective. There's nothing more difficult to define as 'good idea' or 'bad idea' as matters of style.

If you never plan on watching the show, here is specifically why the song was in the show....big spoilers lay ahead....
                    Ah, well that's very good use of a modern song then. I can't fault that at all.

I watch other shows that use them so I've gotten used to it, but I do see your point.
                    There are shows in which it doesn't bother me at all, either. If all of the music is modern, or if the show makes use of non-realistic filming style on occasion, it doesn't stick out so much. In science fiction, particularly with stargate, I find it jarring. I will note the exception of BSG's use of Watchtower, though, now that it's been explained to me.
                    Last edited by amconway; 11 October 2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.

That has been done in TV ages ago, and not only in teen shows. I could remind you of House,M.D. which uses contemporary songs in a beautiful way, IMO.

If it fits the message of the current eppie, why not?

Besides even in SG-1 and SGA they have done it. I am not going to insult all the posters here by naming the eppies
                      sigpic
                      Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                      Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

I love the song played at the end although I need 2listen to a new song repeatedly before finally liking it. But I like the instrument accompanied the song, guitar if Im not mistaken.

Yes it feels different but it's a good change. It makes SGU sounds like other sci-fi/fantasy series like The 4400 and Charmed. The good part about this, fans will get to buy official soundtrack filled with songs that we can SING and hear during normal time. I don't really like score soundtrack, except its mellowly melodious.

Comment

alexi mordoch - breath was a great choice for the ending of air part 3 imo
                          sigpic

Comment

once it works. In the final episode for SG1 that song score worked perfectly.

Comment

I'd rather they stick with orchestral support over contemporary.

I can understand using it while on Earth as BG but not as support music for the actual atmosphere of the show.

Comment

I will say this though, that the music they chose for it so far was certainly fitting to the plot of the episode, a very relaxed ending to some very intense moments of the climax.

Comment

Working...
                                X