No announcement yet.

Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes too much of a good thing, ie. music, is not so much of a good thing! It went on too long and IMHO just didn't fit. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
      House is not a SciFi show. I love House, but I also don't want to see aliens showing up in House,, like I don't want the House type angsty songs show up in Stargate.
      How was the song played at the end of Air Part III at all angsty?

And it makes no difference if it's a scifi show or not. If a song's good and delivers a solid emotional impact, and the producers can fit it into a scene, then it deserves to be there as much as an orchestral score.

There's absolute no difference between an orchestral song than a contemporary song. Music is music is music. They're all the same thing designed for the same purpose.
      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.
        Not just teen shows. CBS's Cold Case closes with music, or at least it did last time I watched it.

Comment

Remember the Atlantis episode "Vegas" from the last season? It was second-to-last if I recall.

It featured several contemporary songs and they really made the show for me. "Beautiful People" and "Sympathy for the Devil" fit perfectly and I KNEW they were experimenting for Universe. Turns out my suspicions were confirmed.

Comment

Good
            Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
            SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

That song did take me out of the episode, however I liked it. It was fitting and actually made me feel like I left the couch with something. Like if I didn't waste an hour of my life.

I say Good.

oh, and don't forget to breathe.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Landers View Post
                Goldsmith's music in this episode was very cool, then that song kicked in and I thought, WTF is THAT? Yuck. Didn't fit at all.
                I was going to say exactly that, but you ninja'ed me... so all I can say is that I agree 500%
                One Ring to rule the Dark Side
                sigpic
                Sith Nazghul

Comment

I agree it's not very Classic Stargate, it's different; but not in a bad way. So far I like what they've done.

Comment

It was certainly unexpected, but not bad. Personally, I like the song and I downloaded it after watching the episode. Should contemporary songs be used in SGU? I'm not sure. Did it fit the idea of air? Yes. Was that a little corny? Yeah, just a little. But it worked pretty well.

Lost used contemporary music in it's first season (well, until that great scene where you find out it was on Hurley's walkman and the battery dies...) and it wasn't bad. If they can do it like that, I won't mind.
                    Rush rocks.

Comment

i liked the song and felt it fit quite nicely. i have no problems with an occasional song. it would be a big mistake to have a song at the end of every episode. as long as it is limited, im fine with it.

Comment

I was cool with it. If it was the song that they used during the second half of the trailer I might've had a little problem, but if SGU wants to do some of what Scrubs does at the end of their episodes, good for them. Some of Scrubs' best moments came from lyrical music at the end, and if SGU can succeed with it, that's good.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Personally, I loved Goldsmith's rousing music as well as the lyrical piece toward the end. They both worked nicely for the feel of the scenes as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by digitaldeluge View Post
                          I have a feeling that will be the consensous with veriations on the destracting part.
                          I'm sorry, but... how can you even say that when there is a huge number of people who have already said that they enjoyed it?

I don't take issue with anyone that says they disliked the contemporary music. I don't agree, but I can see why one might think this way. But I cannot understand why people insist on deciding what the whole fandom's final opinion is, when they're sitting in a massive stew of people with totally different viewpoints from them.

Comment

I have nothing wrong to say about this modern music and the use of songs !
                            After all, SGU is not doing something new here because Stargate Franchise has already been down this path (don't know if it has been said before but
                            in the series finale of SG-1 : Unending, there was a song "Have you ever seen the rain" from Credence Clearwater Revival ! and what a complete shock (hallowed is Vala ^^) : this episode was based for a great part on the relationship of the characters just as SGU is !!
                            sigpic
                            ___________Stargate SG-1____________________Stargate Atlantis____________________Stargate Universe
                            ________07.27.97 ~ 06.22.07________________07.16.04 ~ 01.09.09__________________10.02.09 ~ 05.09.11

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                              I agree that the song choice was a fitting for the situation, but i dont think that i worked completely. If it was just over the montage, it would have been perfectly fine. But over the sence with Scott/Chloe, for me personally it took away from that scene, not necessarily because the song was still playing, but the fact that it hadnt been toned back enough over the dialogue.
                              Just watching the episode again I thought the exact same thing.

Comment

There is in Unending where there also used a contemporary song. Both uses where exceptionally well made and I truly enjoyed both. This one was very very well used, the mood was perfect, everything was well done. I really love Joel Goldsmith's work, but this moment with this music was pure gold.

Comment

Working...
                                X