Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    When I first heard the song, it definitely stood out as something that should not have been there, keeping with what we've usually had with Stargate episodes. However I do think the song's theme and lyrics fit in really well with the episode. I'd be happy with limiting each episode to just one song like this as opposed to every other show that throws in music from some band every 5 minutes or if something emotional happens.
    But songs like that can really make a scene shine if it's picked right. House is a perfect example of where contemporary music is used to amazing results.

Scrubs is another fine example of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCzJmPuo1I
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      At the end of "Air, Part 3," Joel Goldsmith's soundtrack switched to a contemporary song, one which certainly meshed well with the theme of needing air to survive. I have mixed feelings on this departure from the Stargate norm, but what do you think; should the show start using modern songs that would be played on the radio?
      It's OK if they use contemporary music, with the proviso it is not of the "pop" genre. The term "....played on the radio", which station? A station that plays metal? Punk rock? Hardcore rock? Jazz? Techno? Pop? Better if they pick fast-paced, action-y type music. Heightens anticipation, makes you really feel that time is running out. Personally, I hated the music you're referring to in this episode. It really broke the pacing.

Comment

Goldsmith's music in this episode was very cool, then that song kicked in and I thought, WTF is THAT? Yuck. Didn't fit at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
          But songs like that can really make a scene shine if it's picked right. House is a perfect example of where contemporary music is used to amazing results.

Scrubs is another fine example of it.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCzJmPuo1I
          Yes, Grey's Anatomy and Smallville do the same thing, but shows like that have been doing it from episode 1. It's something that doesn't stand out because it's normal.

I know that SGU wants to different, but after 300 episodes of Stargate things like that just don't... fit in, for lack of a better word. Air has 3 parts, but ultimately only used 1 contemporary song. A lot of other shows can use 2 or 3 songs so I think that if a song must be used, having a lot of restrictions on it.

sigpic

Comment

ok so i loved the link that was given for the scurbs episode as an example, and like he said house is also a great example of this.

Now while i know that smallville has a reputation for being that show that was described that throws music in every 5 min, there exist times when it through out a pure gem....
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPxm_iwHU5Q
            this being what i think is one of the best examples of music used in this way. and also one of the most beautiful and saddest moments on tv that i can remember..
            I'm a 28 year old man and i got teary at this one.

Comment

What's the name of the song? The Don't forget to breathe one.

EDIT: Never mind found it.

http://www.absolutelyrics.com/lyrics...rdoch/breathe/

Comment

Loved all the music except the last track the ... well you know air air i love air, yeah lets sing about it.

Feels like it should go here. Grab a $20.00 speaker set if you can manage to lisent to the Good(other than that one) tracks and SFX. MY GOD! It is brilillant. Somone buy the sound producer a beer!{yeah thats G {kids dont drink untell your of legale age for your location {if your laws permit {uness you live in a devout muslum country {then your out of luck}}}}}

if you got the {}
                Last edited by digitaldeluge; 09 October 2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I'm not even going to attempt to make since out of that, unless the point about alcohol is that you are drunk while typing it, in which case the instant feeling of what tha fu**ery that i experience when i read that makes perfect since....

Comment

I really didn't think the last song fit anywhere in the end. It was forced in like a crowbar.

Comment

Originally posted by archangel2187 View Post
                      I'm not even going to attempt to make since out of that, unless the point about alcohol is that you are drunk while typing it, in which case the instant feeling of what tha fu**ery that i experience when i read that makes perfect since....
                      Aside from the one spelling I noticed. Somone will get the {}. Yes they are hard to fallow!?

Comment

To be honest I wasn't too keen on the song being inthere, I found it a bit distracting during the dialogue at the end.

But I *love* the instrumental music/score in all three episodes so far.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                          I really disliked that. It actually took me out of the action, which, to be fair, wasn't hard, I didn't feel very involved, while I notived how bad that was. Bad and loud. It was obtrusive and very, very unsubtle.
                          Completely agree.

I adored the instrumental score. Absolutely hated the lyrical contemporary music.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
                            I found it a bit distracting during the dialogue at the end.

But I *love* the instrumental music/score in all three episodes so far.
                            I have a feeling that will be the consensous with veriations on the destracting part.

Comment

I love it how they are putting songs in, it gives it a different feel. and makes me think of Unending every time.

Comment

music in the third part was even better than that one in the second part
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X