• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would bet that was an ascended being
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

didnt i read somewhere, where JM said that they weren't going to touch on ascended beings for a while? my guess is sentient sand!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
        Am I the only one that REALLY doesn't want ascended beings at all in SGU. We got way too much of them in SG1 and SGA and we must remember their non-interference laws.

Even if the non-interference laws are 'relaxed' by the collective
        From what we've been told so far, the Ancients colonised the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies. When they ascended they devised their non-interference laws so they wouldn't go the same way as the Ori and beings from the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies who ascend are supposed to follow these laws too.

The universe is vast, though, and we know that first and second generation humans aren't the only intelligent species to have evolved in it. We also know that non-human beings can get onto the higher planes because Anubis was a Goa'uld. Hundreds of non-human species from umpteen different galaxies could have found the path to ascension - there could be many collectives with their own laws relating to the galaxies they originated in.

The problem I had with the ascended Ancients is that the writers never seemed to know what to do with them. This is how I see it -

1: They established that these ascended beings had godlike powers. They then decided that these beings had to be restricted so they didn't make things too easy for SG-1 and gave them the non-interference law.

2: No interference presented them with a different problem. If ascended beings never interfered they'd never be able to appear in Stargate so they introduced the fine line. The end result was -

3: The ascended beings could pretend they weren't interfering even though they did to some extent and the amount of interference allowed depended on what was required for a particular plot.

I certainly don't want to see more ascended beings like the Ancients who always struck me as being hypocrites with the exceptions of Oma, Merlin, Orlin and Morgana. What I would like to see, though, are ascended beings on the lines of the Ascended Masters of Theosophy - enlightened beings who offer guidance so everyone else has a chance of attaining ascension too. This is very similar to how Oma was when she was introduced.

Remove the words 'Christ' and 'other bodies' from the following and you more or less have an ascended Stargate being.

http://www.crystalinks.com/ascension.html

Ascension is described as consciously increasing the vibratory rate of the physical and other bodies to the Christ level. Stories describe the physical body losing its definition, diffusing, then finally resembling a star imploding or exploding.

People who have raised their bodies through ascension are fully in command of the physical realm, capable of decelerating their vibratory rate to appear any way they desire, including moving about freely on Earth. Thus, ascension is seen as an alternative to death.
        sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with some of you. It might the ascended being who tried to help them.

If it's a sand monster, it would have ate them with gladness.

Comment

It's obvious that the sand creature was a Shai-Hulud. The water wasn't regular water, it was the water of life and now that Lt. Scott has drank it, he has incredible prescient powers which is what allowed him to see visions of his father.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesmer7 View Post
              I was never certain the thing was alive. For all I could tell, it was just a small dust devil. And the episode failed to resolve the ambiguity for me.
              Pretty much. As a sci-fi show we're willing to accept a fantastical explanation, but it could've just been heat stroke and luck.
              Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
              It's obvious that the sand creature was a Shai-Hulud. The water wasn't regular water, it was the water of life and now that Lt. Scott has drank it, he has incredible prescient powers which is what allowed him to see visions of his father.
              Dude sure converted it from poison fast!

Comment

Maybe it was some kind of Ancient technology that was meant to guide them to what they needed, kind of like the glowing line in Fable 2.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Seemed pretty convenient that the ship would single out a planet as containing what they needed and then a helpful dust devil would understand what they need and guide someone there.

I'm thinking either an ascended on the destiny or some form of guide to what you need in the way that the other scientists pointed out that the Ancients would likely have.

Comment

Or he was hallucinating and found what he was looking for despite the hallucinations. It could go either way, i like the room for interpetation. Ascended being? Silicone life form? Hallucinated it all? Beats a nice little bow tie at the end of the episode.

Comment

For me, it was definitly an alien life form we had Water life form in Sg1 4#07, Mist life form in SgA 1#09, Light life form in Sg1 4#19 and SgA 1#12. And now Sand life form in SgU !
                      I'm betting of some kind of species that lives on the few water that it can found on the planet ! But I think it can read mids like the mist in Home (SgA 1#09) !

I could also be totally wrong, it could indeed be some Ascended being not necessarily Ancient though !
                      sigpic
                      ___________Stargate SG-1____________________Stargate Atlantis____________________Stargate Universe
                      ________07.27.97 ~ 06.22.07________________07.16.04 ~ 01.09.09__________________10.02.09 ~ 05.09.11

Comment

it couldve been a combination of factors. hallucinations can be extremely real. like when the dust devil disposed the water, and he found the lime. or the priest under the sand, or the priest walking with him. i bet those were true hallucinations, and the church hallucination couldve been broken by the sand devil, not nessicarily been made by it.

i think the purpose of the plot was that it was left open to discussion

Comment

I think it is a non-corporeal being with a level of intelligence simmilar to that of an animal.
                          sigpic

Comment

It could have been anything. Ascended, though I doubt it. It could have been an intuitive alien, which is what I see it as. I don't know, but I really liked it.
                            Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Heat + Heat + Heat = Hallucination

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney_Mckay View Post
                                Heat + Heat + Heat = Hallucination
                                I doubt it would be the hallucination route simply because it would be too convenient that his hallucinations would "lead" him right to the source of the lake. On the other hand, he was going forward without any real direction so maybe the potential hallucinations were just a way for his subconsious to keep him going when his body wanted to give out.
                                Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Working...
                                X