This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    The problem with that theory is we don't know how much safer the planet is vs the Detsiney. Chances are its safer but you just don't take those kinds of risks
    SIR!!

What's the difference!
    Destiny ISN"T safe sir. It's not fit for human habitation. The very enviroment is against you. You have to worry about the crafts integrity and air...and there is no food or water, or latrean that we know of.

Sir, with all due respect how the freak is that risky to move the majority of people to the planet where the air isn't blowing out into space. I'd take my chances with alien life...we have weapons.

Comment

The difference is time. Who is to say that they would last longer on the Destiney then a planet. Who knows the properties of that alien planet?
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

A) The senator dying was not dramatic enough. He should have made the decision to Young and Rush.
        B) What the heck is Young thinking? He lets both Rush and Wallace go off the ship. They are the two that know the ship the best so far. They have the best grasp on how ancient stuff works or how to get it to work. So far they have been the Jordi and Data of the Destiny. You can't let both of them go off-ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramses818 View Post
          A) The senator dying was not dramatic enough. He should have made the decision to Young and Rush.
          B) What the heck is Young thinking? He lets both Rush and Wallace go off the ship. They are the two that know the ship the best so far. They have the best grasp on how ancient stuff works or how to get it to work. So far they have been the Jordi and Data of the Destiny. You can't let both of them go off-ship.
          a)Can you elaborate?
          B)It really doesn't manner. The ship wasn't going to become useful without the mineral. All had been fixed that could have been fixed. And for a geek reference Geordi and Data did both leave the ship before
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

It wasn't dramatic at all.
            I felt nothing for him or the girl. It was like watching the first person die in Nightmare on Elm Street. Just the first of many to go...

The difference is time. Who is to say that they would last longer on the Destiney then a planet. Who knows the properties of that alien planet?
            Sir the ship was falling apart!
            The probe said there was air. Who's to say...well...the ship said and dialed.

Am I missing the logic sir.
            Doesn't immediate peril sort of trump possible (not probable) peril, sir?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
              This could have been stated with one sentence.
              You're also limited to roughly 42 minutes and 30 seconds of air time to tell a story. A line like what you suggested wasn't necessary to tell the story. That's why it isn't in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                It wasn't dramatic at all.
                I felt nothing for him or the girl. It was like watching the first person die in Nightmare on Elm Street. Just the first of many to go...
                Um...Are you a cold person or what? Don't mind that Q it was not meant as an insult or anything. anywho, it still was a powerfull scene. A twenty some year old watched her father die. Regardless of our ability to be detached enough from a tv show to not be moved to tears, it was still a dramatic event.

Sir the ship was falling apart!
                The probe said there was air. Who's to say...well...the ship said and dialed.
                But there is no way home on that planet, and there is the key to fixing the air. Grant it you do have a point that they could have bought themselves some more time, but quite frankly in real life leaders do and say stupid things for no real good reason. I don't see how this would be any different.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Elaboration--When Senator Armstrong sacrifices himself for the greater good, the decision should have been made with the other leaders (ie. young, rush, wray) they had the good line that young said that he couldn't ask anyone to sacrifice themselves but it would have been good to have them all discussing it. Then he makes the line of I am dead anyway with his internal bleeding and failing heart and as one of the leaders he can't ask anyone to do it. Then following that, a line although cheesy but necessary to the effect "Chloe, your father is a hero." The closest we got was "I'd like to know a little bit about the man who saved my life."

And yes in other shows, the two main engineer people leave together but not on the first mission.

Also, going to find the right mineral, they alluded to it while unloading the supplies, that there was all that stuff right there, you think that the ancients would have left spare parts.

Also, why would the lifesupport system even need to be working if there was no body on board to breath. In Atlantis, the systems weren't working until they stepped foot through the gate. So what gives

Comment

If you want to get technical everything that moves the plot is a plot device. Even the character are a plot device. Even the Stargate itself is a plot device
                    It can't be said enough.
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                      This could have been stated with one sentence.
                      But it would be completely unnecessary. I'm not an idiot... I don't need every little thing explained to me.
                      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        Am I missing the logic sir.
                        Doesn't immediate peril sort of trump possible (not probable) peril, sir?
                        No. Right now the only way to get home is on the Destiny. If they go off-world and get stuck there's no going home. On top of that they have no idea if the planet can actually support life for very long.

Comment

Also, going to find the right mineral, they alluded to it while unloading the supplies, that there was all that stuff right there, you think that the ancients would have left spare parts.
                          I was thinking the same thing. Most ships we've seen in the other series have had spare parts on hand.

Also, why would the lifesupport system even need to be working if there was no body on board to breath. In Atlantis, the systems weren't working until they stepped foot through the gate. So what gives
                          I got the impression that they were starting up when the gate connected. That could also explain how the power has lasted so long, and why the scrubbers were shot. If the life support was not operating as well as it should, it could be producing atmosphere with too much CO2. Which would expend the scrubbers after this long
                          sigpic

Comment

I disagree with this line of logic about leaving the ship and I agree.

Leaving the ship for a the 11 hours could be a good idea, it would get everybody some real air and they could conserve the bad air that they have by turning off the life support system.

But to just ditch out on a random planet, that is just a bad idea. I would take my chances on board a dying ancient ship for a day than just picking the first gate they find and going to that planet. We don't even know if that planet can dial earth (like the only gate that could dial earth in pegasus was the atlantis gate)

I really want to have them explain what the FTL they are using is, because it isn't hyperspace we know that. Also, what is the power source for this flying tin can.

Comment

Elaboration--When Senator Armstrong sacrifices himself for the greater good, the decision should have been made with the other leaders (ie. young, rush, wray) they had the good line that young said that he couldn't ask anyone to sacrifice themselves but it would have been good to have them all discussing it. Then he makes the line of I am dead anyway with his internal bleeding and failing heart and as one of the leaders he can't ask anyone to do it. Then following that, a line although cheesy but necessary to the effect "Chloe, your father is a hero." The closest we got was "I'd like to know a little bit about the man who saved my life."
                              Doing it that way would really change nothing.

And yes in other shows, the two main engineer people leave together but not on the first mission.
                              Which mission it is doesn't change anything either.

That was the whole point of having everybody search the ship.

The original intention was to send the ship out and then gate to it, so it had to have all of that stuff working.

Comment

I really want to have them explain what the FTL they are using is, because it isn't hyperspace we know that. Also, what is the power source for this flying tin can.
                                I think it's supposed to be faster-than-light, but not quite hyperspace.

Comment

Working...
                                X