TJ(Tamara Johansen)/Everett Young Impact/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
    I get the impression that Young and TJ are both professionals overall and I don't think they'll get into any petty bickering or anything. I think it'll just be... tense. If TJ wants to play the blame game she can go all the way back to when Young manipulated her to get back on Destiny when she wanted to stay on Rainforest Cafe Planet
    TJ can blame a lot of people for this. Firstly, Telford for informing the LA about Icarus that led to the attack. Rush for dialing the 9th chevron and not another MW planet. And of course, the "Faith" ep. Young for not venting the gateroom (even though she was against it, I guess). She can even blame herself for not staying in the infirmary.

But I think TJ wouldn't do that.

Is it October yet?? (Or September, according to MGM.)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
      TJ can blame a lot of people for this. Firstly, Telford for informing the LA about Icarus that led to the attack. Rush for dialing the 9th chevron and not another MW planet. And of course, the "Faith" ep. Young for not venting the gateroom (even though she was against it, I guess). She can even blame herself for not staying in the infirmary.

And I would agree with you. I don't think TJ is like that. Playing a blame game is ultimately a way to avoid accepting a situation. It's one thing to feel anger and to work through that (she's got a lot of very good reasons to be angry with Young and only one or two have anything to do with him actually being her commander LOL) - it's another to hold resentment and bitterness over something that has happened and that can't be changed.

TJ has been an incredibly strong, graceful character so far. I think I'll be impresses with how she handles this.

As a side note: Brian Smith mentioned that they still heavily rely on military advisors (which I knew they did before I just didn't know how much input they had) and he noted that the AF has been incredibly open to them "messing with their image" and being open to the kinds of human errors officers make. So. Just another kudo to our Stargate team LOL.

Comment

I don't see TJ as blaming anyone, at least not openly. She might think it but I think she's also smart enough to know that there's more than enough blame to go around.

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        And I would agree with you. I don't think TJ is like that. Playing a blame game is ultimately a way to avoid accepting a situation. It's one thing to feel anger and to work through that (she's got a lot of very good reasons to be angry with Young and only one or two have anything to do with him actually being her commander LOL) - it's another to hold resentment and bitterness over something that has happened and that can't be changed.

TJ has been an incredibly strong, graceful character so far. I think I'll be impresses with how she handles this.

As a side note: Brian Smith mentioned that they still heavily rely on military advisors (which I knew they did before I just didn't know how much input they had) and he noted that the AF has been incredibly open to them "messing with their image" and being open to the kinds of human errors officers make. So. Just another kudo to our Stargate team LOL.
        yes, this, exactly. She has such a sense of grace about her.

I'm glad their advisors have been open minded. Female soldiers get pregnant all the time and it would be terribly unrealistic to just drop the hammer on that and say SG couldn't go there. If anything, not acknowledging that reality would mess with the image more.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
          I don't see TJ as blaming anyone, at least not openly. She might think it but I think she's also smart enough to know that there's more than enough blame to go around.
          At the end of the day, bad things just happen and I think after spending all that time aboard the Destiny, TJ knows this and knows better than to start playing the "blame game" where it's not needed.

That said, the maternal instinct is strong (the first glimpse of which we saw in "Faith" when she refused to leave the Eden-esque planet) and I can't see her easily forgiving herself for a) putting her baby in a dangerous situation b) not protecting her baby and letting harm come to him/her. However irrational it may be, she'll blame herself before she blames anyone else...at least that's how I see her character. TJ has never struck me as the sort of character unable to shoulder her own responsibilities or to blame others for her own perceived mistakes. She's too mature for that and I think she's too good for that. And she doesn't seem to allow it in others either.

But this should probably be taken to the TJ thread so I'm going to copy and paste the above over there.

As for how TJ and the baby will affect Young...I think it's pretty inevitable that he will blame himself for being unable to get her out of there. It's obvious that he's become protective of both her and the baby, but I'm especially appreciative of the fact that the writers didn't go down the path of macho man refusing the pregnant lady any and all actions (*cough* John Sheppard *cough* SGA *cough* * cough*). I loved that they wrote him as voicing his objections, but ultimately allowing her to make her own decisions based on sound reason. I'm also liking that they didn't make that issue a bigger deal than it needed to be.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
            As for how TJ and the baby will affect Young...I think it's pretty inevitable that he will blame himself for being unable to get her out of there. It's obvious that he's become protective of both her and the baby, but I'm especially appreciative of the fact that the writers didn't go down the path of macho man refusing the pregnant lady any and all actions (*cough* John Sheppard *cough* SGA *cough* * cough*). I loved that they wrote him as voicing his objections, but ultimately allowing her to make her own decisions based on sound reason. I'm also liking that they didn't make that issue a bigger deal than it needed to be.
            I've answered the TJ portion in the TJ thread, but yeah, Young will definitely blame himself and take it hard as another loss that he couldn't prevent. (Well, he could have, but TJ would have hated him if he had outright killed everyone in the gateroom). Given the situation on board Destiny, I didn't have much hope for that chold being born in any case *sobs*. I had also noticed that, about not going all super ordery, and letting TJ choose, once he said what he needed to say. He has a lot of faith in people, I just wish he had more in himself
            sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one who thought that TJ will go into labor, when she winced in pain? Somehow, that little bit was so well made. I was certain that something will happen to her in the finale - either starts to give birth or she gets hurt. Didn't think both scenarios would come true.
              sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one who thought that TJ will go into labor, when she winced in pain? Somehow, that little bit was so well made. I was certain that something will happen to her in the finale - either starts to give birth or she gets hurt. Didn't think both scenarios would come true.
                Oh, before the episode I was willing to bet money on her going into labor or something drastic happening to her and or her baby. Unfortunately there was no doubt in my mind of that. It was too much of a "ratings-grabbing-season-ending" plot device. Call me synical but I could see something like that coming a mile away.
                My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

I did too, even shut my eyes in case something dreadful happened. I wonder if the writing was on the wall and if she knew, even before the awfulness happened?
                  sigpic

Comment

This whole thing with TJ and her baby and the awfulness that seems to be coming true from the finale is killing me! It really doesn't help that I am expecting a baby myself. It makes me VERY sensitive to the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by brotymo View Post
                      This whole thing with TJ and her baby and the awfulness that seems to be coming true from the finale is killing me! It really doesn't help that I am expecting a baby myself. It makes me VERY sensitive to the drama.
                      *very gentle hugs* I can empathize with that
                      as a mom, it's been pretty hard to watch without tearing up for some of it
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                        *very gentle hugs* I can empathize with that
                        as a mom, it's been pretty hard to watch without tearing up for some of it
                        I gave you the chance for a crying shoulder, but noooooooooo you had to turn me down. Serves you right, then
                        sigpic
                        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                          I gave you the chance for a crying shoulder, but noooooooooo you had to turn me down. Serves you right, then
                          hey, I blew my nose on your shirt; that's got to count for something!
                          I'm thinking the real tears are going to hit in next season opener
                          sigpic

Comment

P.S. I just watched the "I'm pregnant" scene about a bajillion times (no lie). Possibly one of the best scenes between them...not like there are that many, but whatever.

Another would be the scene where she asks to go off-world ("Subversion", I think...or the one before it) and they do this cute back-and-forth with him finally relenting...and TOTALLY trying not to smile.

That is all.

Carry on.
                            sigpic

Comment

P.S. I just watched the "I'm pregnant" scene about a bajillion times (no lie). Possibly one of the best scenes between them...not like there are that many, but whatever.

Another would be the scene where she asks to go off-world ("Subversion", I think...or the one before it) and they do this cute back-and-forth with him finally relenting...and TOTALLY trying not to smile.

That is all.

Carry on.
                              You are correct on both counts. That "I'm pregnant" scene was so wonderfully understated that it honestly gave me mood-whiplash. I'm so used to the Stargate producers having a certain, somewhat over-the-top style and I'm always surprised with SGU doesn't use it. I've talked with some women and they all agreed that telling the father-to-be that he's going to be a father is one of the most uncomfortable and awkward moments. TJ and Young captured that with a wonderful nuance.

As for the discussion after that? So very cute
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

That is all.

Carry on.
                                yeah, that was really an incredibly powerful moment. It would have been really easy to botch it but it played so well, perfectly within the outlines of the characters. And yes, the subsequent haggling in Sabotage was also a nice touch. It could have so easily have been played where he went all refusey and threw his weight around but it didn't happen. The one thing I've liked about it is how, what's the word, mature? the whole thing was?

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                                You are correct on both counts. That "I'm pregnant" scene was so wonderfully understated that it honestly gave me mood-whiplash. I'm so used to the Stargate producers having a certain, somewhat over-the-top style and I'm always surprised with SGU doesn't use it. I've talked with some women and they all agreed that telling the father-to-be that he's going to be a father is one of the most uncomfortable and awkward moments. TJ and Young captured that with a wonderful nuance.

As for the discussion after that? So very cute
                                yes, that's probably one of the hardest conversations I've ever had to have. I also try to understand it from the guy's point of view, that it's one of the hardest things he ever has to hear. You don't get a second chance if you botch it either. It has to be delicately handled by a guy who is likely taken aback by the whole situation. It was beautifully handled.
                                Last edited by xxxevilgrinxxx; 15 June 2010, 01:20 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X