• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking TV and Smallville isn't a prequeal
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I give up...

My point was that stargate has pretty much done everything now including the 9th chevron.

What else is there? The future or the past. I know many of us are fascinated by the ancients and what happened in the past so what do you think would be the next logical step for a new stargate show?

Comment

Think it from an outside POV. Your general casual viewers aren't going to care about learning about the Ancients
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I was talking TV and Smallville isn't a prequeal
          You hadn't specified prior. Smallville is a prequel, to the Superman saga, but not to any one particular production.

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
          My point was that stargate has pretty much done everything now including the 9th chevron.
          That's why the producers weren't planning on a fourth series.

Comment

Its quite obvious I meant TV. Prequel refers to the entertainment medium its used. Superman is so vast it doesn't work for Smallville
            Jelgate is right

Comment

OT bickering/pedantry removed.

Discuss the *theoretical* SGU Kickstarter idea or take your differences OFF-thread to PM.

*Kickstarts the topic*
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Think it from an outside POV. Your general casual viewers aren't going to care about learning about the Ancients
                No but general viewers do like scifi and mysterious / magical stuff. Why do you think Buffy was so popular along with other things like charmed?

A stargate show based on the time of the ancients could be extremely popular.

Comment

No but general viewers do like scifi and mysterious / magical stuff. Why do you think Buffy was so popular along with other things like charmed?

A stargate show based on the time of the ancients could be extremely popular.
                  Don't make the mistake of equating Fantasy fans with Scifi Fans dude. MANY hardcore Scifi fans cannot stand fantasy and vice versa. Personally, I like both, but I think I am in the minority.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I give up...

What else is there? The future or the past. I know many of us are fascinated by the ancients and what happened in the past so what do you think would be the next logical step for a new stargate show?
                    Maybe a Stargate with 10 chevrons. Hell, why not put an 11th or even a 12th chevron in there and change the overal design of the Stargate as well? Why not go to a Stargate planet in a Stargate Galaxy that is filled with yet undiscovered and unexplored, maybe even unused Ancient, Goa'uld, Wraith and Replicator technology? I'd say if a 4th series does happen, that it'd be a good idea to retire everyone from SG-1, SGA and SGU, move the action away from Earth and our Galaxy, come up with a new threat and just send a completely new, but trained expedition into an adventure. I say have O' Neill, Mitchell, Landry, Wier, Woolsey, Carter, Young, Telford and Camile pass the torch from their expeditions to the new expedition by sending them into the unknown... Of course, the US and Russian Stargate programs on Earth would be shut down after that, with only the Stargate on Antarctica being active for exploration purposes only and a way for SG-1/SGA/SGU expeditions staying in contact with their allies (if needed) trough-out the parts of the Universe they've already been to. More battle/warships, space battles, planetary battles/wars, maybe even bring some Ancients from the past so they could team-up with the new expedition. Then after the exploration and the battles/wars would be over, the new expedition would stay on Stargate planet, eventually starting another Earth-like planet.

Comment

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
                      If they can afford a "James Bond" and "Hobbit" movie, they have money for Stargate, too!
                      And to be honest, I would rather see SGU or Stargate in general on screen than another terrible Daniel Craig James Bond movie.
                      It's not that they can't afford to (although, they got outside financing to get back from bankruptcy and they didn't fund their whole budgets - they own 75% of "Skyfall" and 50% of "The Hobbit") it's that they can't afford to spend money on projects that they don't think they will make money on. They just reported making a quarterly profit [of 40 million] for the first time since this whole mess started. So, they need to be very careful to not fall backwards as their current momentum is tentative due to it being largely built on the huge successes of two films. For their second wave, they have invested in the new G.I. Joe movie which may not turn out to be a good move given that they've delayed releasing it and given how the first turned out. Also, they're producing remakes of "Carrie" and "Robocop," the latter of which is expensive and so they need to hope it doesn't flop.

Of course, if the second wave goes well, they will be in a position to take some more risks going forward. But, the DVD market has crashed so they don't think they can make money with a Stargate movie to begin with. Add on the issue that they no longer have standing sets, as others have pointed out, and they would be throwing money away as they're just too expensive to build from scratch for a single movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        Don't make the mistake of equating Fantasy fans with Scifi Fans dude. MANY hardcore Scifi fans cannot stand fantasy and vice versa. Personally, I like both, but I think I am in the minority.
                        I agree with you there. I'm one that really doesn't care for fantasy, but I love science fiction, as long as it doesn't blur the lines between the two.

My problem these days is that I love Robert Carlyle and he is now in a fantasy show. Oh dear! Well I'm trying hard to ignore that fact and watching. Now towards the second season I'm good with this show. But I certainly never seek out fantasy.

But if a show was based/about the Ancients, and kept to the scifi end of things, I would probably watch.
                        sigpic

Comment

auroraclass1, I am another who is frustrated by the proliferation of movies such as the James Bond series. Hate them really. I am well aware of why they make them.

It just seems like everything in this world is distilled down to the lowest common denominator. Even if that tactic is done well, it's certainly no substitution for other preferences. I just wish they would care about the rest of us who enjoy something different. Say a little more intelligence in our stories, some true science fiction, real dramas, something off the beaten path.

It seems to me that eventually, they will wake up to new methods to make less "popular" movies and profit by them.

I noticed some change in the right direction. I read the other day, (sorry can't find the reference) that Neilsen is now changing and counting DVR viewing the same as live viewing. It's about time!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                            auroraclass1, I am another who is frustrated by the proliferation of movies such as the James Bond series. Hate them really. I am well aware of why they make them.

It just seems like everything in this world is distilled down to the lowest common denominator. Even if that tactic is done well, it's certainly no substitution for other preferences. I just wish they would care about the rest of us who enjoy something different. Say a little more intelligence in our stories, some true science fiction, real dramas, something off the beaten path.

It seems to me that eventually, they will wake up to new methods to make less "popular" movies and profit by them.

I noticed some change in the right direction. I read the other day, (sorry can't find the reference) that Neilsen is now changing and counting DVR viewing the same as live viewing. It's about time!
                            Okay so I might have gone a bit over the top I am a Diehard James Bond fan even before Stargate so I had to defend it like I'm sure mostly everyone on this forum would do for Stargate bashers, and I deleted the post so Bagpuss can relax. Back to the topic of kickstarter it is important to mention that regardless of the fan base the movie industry is a business and a very profitable one. And regardless of the loyal fan base, Stargate movies are a risk even though the straight to DVD market was quite profitable for the Ark of Truth and Continuum. Also I think that Studios might also use Joss Whedo's movie Serenity as an example that science fiction TV-show based movies do not do well after that movie flopped big time (even though that movie was really good). If kickstarter can raise enough money to make the movie a less of a gamble and show that the fan base will support it then we probably have good chances of making it. Also if Brad Wright and Coop backed it with most of the actors and Syfy then the chances would probably be better

Comment

It wouldn't even have to be a kickstarter to continue something old, for me. Something new would be great too, if it was from the people who were responsible for creating something I loved.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                                Why do sets costs so much, I wonder? They're made out of ordinary materials, right? Is it the labor?
                                The bulk of set costs are usually storage and labor. Not to mention the fact that sets like SGU have working mechanics and that the gate itself was a giant screen.

Either way, I've got a hundo on it. Someone get the ball rolling!

Comment

Working...
                                X