The End of SGU (Will We Ever Know?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    You're missing the point. People generally always think entertainment was better when they were a kid

I didn't miss any point.

Each Generation try to reinvent themselves, based on the misconception that their generation is somehow different or better than the last. This arrogance dissipates with age. The individual finally recognises its "all been done before". These gradual trends over generations are unmistakable in TV. The movement towards much more programming offered Varity, until we recognised the same formula strategies becoming painfully predictable and boring.

These days it’s metastasised into “all about business”, which is why some are wrongly obsessed about ratings as an indicator of quality. The best TV show is the one that sells the most. The basic point of corporate business is to sell as much as you can to as many as you can and gobble up markets and make profits. So the product must be aimed at largest MOR average population groups. If it successesfull it’s by definition just another average mediocre TV product.

That is not quality.

What is lost is the importance of the 'Value judgement'.

SGU started off strong in the first season but lost its way going back to the old SG-1/Atlantis enemies and action.... in an attempt to gain viewer ship.

Its probable that the producers were unaware of just how good the product was.
    Last edited by psl1; 01 March 2013, 04:02 PM.
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
      SGU started off strong in the first season but lost its way
      I guess the millions of viewers that abandoned it and would disagree with you must be completely wrong then eh?

SGUs only good bit in season 1 was the very first eipsode. The rest was pretty crap and certainly anything but strong.

Comment

I'd just like to say that cancelling SGU was the dumbest thing next to cancelling SGA that SciFi has ever done. I was iffy when this show was airing, but I sure as hell watched every single ep the night it aired. It had great writing, great direction, and great cast. I just couldn't stand that shaky-zoomey camera style they went with....vomit.

So they cancelled those shows then what now? More wrestling and "sci-fi originals". What a joke! I haven't watched that channel since they took SGU off the air. Boo!

Comment

Originally posted by sgt.siler View Post
          I just couldn't stand that shaky-zoomey camera style they went with....vomit.
          I take it you mean when destiny went through the gas giant or into the star? - I actually thought that made it look a lot more realistic as if the camera man was struggling to keep track of the ship. For me that was actually very good visual effects and made it a bit more realistic.

Gotta hand it to MGM, unlike SG1 and SGA which had OK effects, SGUs effects were absolutely superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
            Gotta hand it to MGM, unlike SG1 and SGA which had OK effects, SGUs effects were absolutely superb.
            In fairness, the quality of effects has rocketed and price-per-CGI has plummeted in that time-frame. It is inevitable what was once a "can we afford that this episode" has become "yeah, whatever"

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
              In fairness, the quality of effects has rocketed
              It certainly has. I remember seeing the effects in SGU and being absolutely stunned by them because they were so realistic.

Comment

It certainly has. I remember seeing the effects in SGU and being absolutely stunned by them because they were so realistic.
                As a comparison, I saw Terminator 2 last night. It was mind-blowing, cutting-edge when it was released, usually given as an example of a leap-forward in CGI development. Watched on DVD on a LCD monitor and bits of it seemed "poor" by today's standards.

Comment

I guess the millions of viewers that abandoned it and would disagree with you must be completely wrong then eh?

SGUs only good bit in season 1 was the very first eipsode. The rest was pretty crap and certainly anything but strong.
                  I would say that more then a few people would disagree with that being the only good episode of the first season. You didn't even like the episode "Time"?

Comment

Don't try to pick fault with me, the numbers speak for themselves. If you want to deny that then you're not living in the real world.

Comment

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything but I don't think it was the only good episode either. And I'm not sure how a low rating means an episode wasn't enjoyable, since a low rating by default means people weren't actually watching the episode.
                      sigpic

Comment

I never said it wasn't the only good episode. I think some of you have taken what I said and twisted it a little in order to pick a fight.

I simply said that the first episode was good and it went downhill from there. Light was another good episode (eventually) after all the drama was out of the way and the plot actually kicked in.

As for Time, no never saw it.

Comment

I never said it wasn't the only good episode. I think some of you have taken what I said and twisted it a little in order to pick a fight.

I simply said that the first episode was good and it went downhill from there. Light was another good episode (eventually) after all the drama was out of the way and the plot actually kicked in.

As for Time, no never saw it.
                          Umm.. No, that is not what I am trying to do AT ALL. All I did was ask if you liked the episode "Time" because that tends to be a universally liked episode from season one. Don't accuse me of trying to start fights off of asking a simple question when you are going around accusing people of not living in the real world.

You said "SGUs only good bit in season 1 was the very first eipsode. The rest was pretty crap and certainly anything but strong."
                          So you DID say it was the only good episode.

Comment

(Bold mine.)

Nobody's twisting your words, we just misinterpreted them.
                            sigpic

Comment

Quite the debate. I like SGU quite a bit, think it began more slowly as they developed the characters and then put the pedal to the metal in the second half of season 1 and didn't stop.

As for the continuation, I think it is possible but not in its original form - and maybe not in other forms. I'm sure the models of the CGI effects still survive somewhere. I would suggest that the best solution is to then create digital copies of the sets and digital copies of the characters. At this point the rates for the cast actually drop because they are doing less work via voice acting and the future seasons become animated. This is similar to what they are doing with the new game, just on a grander scale and without fan participation directly.

Just seems like a plausible and less expensive way to finish the story while also maximizing money made off of the franchise. And could also get free publicity due to the news coverage of the novelty of transitioning a live action show into an animated one.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt.siler View Post
                                I'd just like to say that cancelling SGU was the dumbest thing next to cancelling SGA that SciFi has ever done. I was iffy when this show was airing, but I sure as hell watched every single ep the night it aired. It had great writing, great direction, and great cast. I just couldn't stand that shaky-zoomey camera style they went with....vomit.
                                Agree with everything except the part about the "shakey-zoomey camera". I remember they replaced the "1990's camcorder"-shakycam common to the reimagined BSG with something that more resembles human eye and head movement, and this made seeing SGU more fascinating, making me feel as if I were there myself.
                                • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                                • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                                • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Working...
                                X