No announcement yet.

Reaching Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, there was some technology on the Ancient weapons platform in SGA that allowed it's beam weapon to be powered by using a smaller power source but needed longer to recharge between shots. This allowed McKay/Peter Grodin to power it up with only a Naquadah generator.

If we could get a similar technology working could we use it to power the gate with smaller power sources but have to wait to recharge?

Comment

Yes I wondered about that too. In essence a super huge capacitor external to the stargate that could hold enough power to dial the vast distance to the destiny for a short while (eg 30 seconds). It could take 6 months to recharge but once charged they could send a copy of the hardware to the destiny (which could recharge in a star faster).

I always thought it was a bit short sighted for the ancients not to leave spare power resevoirs on destiny that could replace the knackered ones when the ship was finally boarded. For a bunch of geniuses that had the universe sussed they didn't always think very far ahead lol.

Comment

Then if we are able to get people and data on/off Destiny we could study the star recharging tech.
        If we go that working it would be a case of building ships that fly out to the sun, recharge and fly back and plug into the energy grid. Virtually unlimited power.

Comment

Actually they missed a chance to send the data back when they tried getting home by dialling in a star. The wormhole opened and sent Telford back to Earth. If Rush & Eli had got their act together they could have also sent a compressed data-burst through with all the data from Destiny to SGC.

Comment

OK, here's another plan;
            How about attaching hyper-drive engines to the puddle jumper that has the time travel drive.

Send it off to rendezvous with Destiny. It would arrive immediately at the destination even though it is a long voyage. Then swap the time travel device over to Destiny and travel back to Earth in no time in FTL.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
              So you're telling me that the little yellow glowing bottle of energy from Tealcs staff weapon is the same as a ZPM? O'Neill went to the Asguard home world in the Ida galaxy using that and the 8th chevron so I don't want to hear anymore about that ZPM being a 'requirement' for intergalaxial travel.
              I mentioned ZPM levels of power, not a ZPM specifically. We could achieve those a bunch of different ways shown through the show for our stargate, but what about all the other gates along your macro's path? Unless we physically send a team through (in which case you don't need a macro int he first place) I don't see where they will get power from to dial long distance.

We know in pegasus that other gates couldn't dial out of the galaxy as they didn't have the extra crystals but we don't know about other galaxies. I think it would be fair to assume that the ancients distributed some gates that could dial out but disabled them from doing so somehow with an inbuilt restriction that could be overidden in case of emergency.
              That is a very large assumption, that goes against everything we have seen in the show. Why did Atlantis spend years looking for power-sources if one was hidden; that the database would have recorded?

Hang on, we know that a planet blew itself away providing the power to dial destiny directly. We don't know that would happen dialling another galaxy or cluster.
              Granted, we do know it is somewhere between 10x our normal generators and an exploding planet.

Again, it is a very long shot because there could be many galaxies without gates that could relay the wormhole which would need a team to visit and rig up but I think its still possible to achieve.
              I am not saying it could not be possible, just pointing out some difficulties in your theory.

The Ori supergate also does not use an exploding planet, so I think that could be a red herring to say it needs an exploding planet. Maybe it's not meant that the planets with Naquadah cores are the only way to generate the energy needed, just that they were the only way that Stargate command was sure they could make work at that time
              True, a singularity is shown to be a massive power source. If they were common I assume it would be not as hard to dial Destiny, but it is still a potential power source.

On another note, sending a Macro would get more complicated if you remember the gates do not all use the same version of programming language as shown when McKay was making the Gate Bridge. It was not possible at that time to make the Macro transfer between Milky Way and Pegasus gate networks and this had to be done manually at the space station. If I remember that episode correctly 2 different Maco's were created, one for each network and then you had to fly a puddle jumper or later, transfer at the space station to get across since they were incompatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                I mentioned ZPM levels of power, not a ZPM specifically.
                Yes but the staff weapons power source could not output ZPM levels of power. We know when dialling Atlantis, that Rodney used a ZPM in an earth made adapter but that doesn't mean that it was actually necessary - it may have just been the most convenient power source available that would guarantee they could dial. A bit like your mobile / cell phone.. most of the time you use it on battery power but sometimes you plug it into the mains even though it only typically needs 5-12 Volts.

but what about all the other gates along your macro's path? Unless we physically send a team through (in which case you don't need a macro int he first place) I don't see where they will get power from to dial long distance.
                If you re-read what I originally wrote, the macro would be sent to all gates. Each gate would then report back to it's origininating gate it's status like power supply, range etc. Any gates that have enough power / are hooked up to a large power source that are capable of dialling the next galaxy would then do so automatically and then spread the macro to the next galaxy where it would repeat - high power gates being identified, reporting back, auto dialling and passing it on. Any galaxy that has no high powered star gate would then require a visit from a team who could hook up a power source to a gate on a planet that could complete the link to the next galaxy allowing the macro to spread again.

Basically, the macro / stargates will automatically find gates that can dial the next galaxy and if none are available then a team visits to give a gate in that galaxy a power source.

That is a very large assumption, that goes against everything we have seen in the show. Why did Atlantis spend years looking for power-sources if one was hidden; that the database would have recorded?
                We know the ancient database has all sorts of missing details but I think it's fair to say that the ancients may leave themselves some emergency long range gates scattered around for emergency use that were not recorded in the database in case the enemy got hold of the data. To anyone else, it's a normal stargate but to the ancients it's capable of being unlocked and dialling long range.

Granted, we do know it is somewhere between 10x our normal generators and an exploding planet.
                No, it's not between an exploding planet. That only happened because it was providing a huge amount of power to dial destiny - a ship that was BILLIONS of light years from earth that was probably a few million galaxies away. Thats a huge power requirement and totally unlike dialling the neighbouring galaxy.

I am not saying it could not be possible, just pointing out some difficulties in your theory.
                I can see the difficulties in the theory yes but you know what the SG world is like. If they see a way of doing something and a problem that needs to be overcome they generally set about overcoming it somehow. Same applies to my idea. If McKay and his science chums came up with this idea they'd figure out a way to make it work.

On another note, sending a Macro would get more complicated if you remember the gates do not all use the same version of programming language as shown when McKay was making the Gate Bridge. It was not possible at that time to make the Macro transfer between Milky Way and Pegasus gate networks and this had to be done manually at the space station. If I remember that episode correctly 2 different Maco's were created, one for each network and then you had to fly a puddle jumper or later, transfer at the space station to get across since they were incompatible.
                Well thats a good plot for an episode then isn't it. McKay has another macro problem to solve getting all the gates to work together while there is another story going on in the background.

Comment

It's a neat idea. I think it may work to a point but not get all the way to Destiny by itself. It could well be part of the solution though so not discounting it.

The first stargates in the chain are going to be very old, and even further out there may have been alien interference. If all the gates in a galaxy were destroyed or malfunctioning it would scupper the link. Even if it was just 1 galaxy in the middle somewhere.

We'd have to gate in to the next galaxy, and travel to the one with the missing gates to place a replacement gate in the chain. I don't think we could do that with current tech without help on the other side of the wormhole.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but remember the episode of SGA when the Wraith are coming for Atlantis but have to stop off and feed at a planet on the way. The team go in a cloaked jumper to have a look. There is some unexpected beam of light going into the sky that doesn't stop the Wraith. It's never really explained what it is.

Well it looked an awful lot like something on the planet Destiny left some of the crew on. The aliens from that planet were able to transport the shuttle to catch up to Destiny even though it had jumped several times by FTL.

I have a theory that this is some alternate alien transport network to rival the stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                      Well it looked an awful lot like something on the planet Destiny left some of the crew on. The aliens from that planet were able to transport the shuttle to catch up to Destiny even though it had jumped several times by FTL.

I have a theory that this is some alternate alien transport network to rival the stargate.
                      It didn't just transport them, it renewed the shuttle and brought the crew who had died on that planet back to life. That was a very strange episode that. The shuttle remained in new condition but the crew all kicked the can pretty quickly. Very odd. Clearly this was a plot that they had intended to follow up with in the future but .. well the show was canned and we never got to find out

Not a bad idea though.. another form of transport being slowly spread by another super powerful race.. that ain't bad!

Comment

We'd have to gate in to the next galaxy, and travel to the one with the missing gates to place a replacement gate in the chain. I don't think we could do that with current tech without help on the other side of the wormhole.
                        Alternately if we could gate in and soup-up the power maybe we could skip a missing galaxy or 2, but we'd need a mobile power source capable of that kind of power.

The power source I think would be worth exploring is the cold fusion Linea used to power the gate to escape the prison planet. I don't remember anything being done with this as the naquadah technology super-ceded it before it really got started.

The startgate DHD's are powered by cold fusion reactors and Linea activators were tiny and could be easily transported. So with a large amount on bio-matter on the other side it may well be possible to generate substantial energy.

Comment

Alternately if we could gate in and soup-up the power maybe we could skip a missing galaxy or 2, but we'd need a mobile power source capable of that kind of power.
                          Uhh how many times have I already said about a team gating into a galaxy without a long range gate and providing a power source to a gate in that galaxy so that it can be used?

I think it's been suggested back to me 3 times now lol.

I also have another cool idea for how to deal with missing gates / put them in strategic locations.. more will be revealed soon (I'm going to restart my fanfic shortly!).

Right, I'm off for some ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post

I think it's been suggested back to me 3 times now lol.
                            lol, I'm not the observant type.

Look forward to hearing the new cool idea when it's de-classified

Comment

You know the X302 had that dodgy short range hyper-drive. I figure put that on a puddle jumper and you have something that could go through the gate and maybe get to the next galaxy in multiple jumps with a stargate on-board?

Bit of a bumpy ride tho.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Thats a pretty big piece of information to overlook. Kelowna was mentioned multiple times in S2.
                                Technically Kelowna was a nation-state, in SGU they address the planet and refer to it as Langara so I guess the confusion is understandable.

On another note, I stand by my idea that I've mentioned in a few other threads over time here: search out another uninhabited planet with a Naquadriah core (yes, I know they're rare) and relocate Atlantis to it. Build another geothermal platform like the one on Lantea and have Atlantis tap into the core for power, saving the ZPM's to be used as emergency backup power. With the use of McKay's solution to the instabilities of Naquadriah energy, Atlantis would be fairly safe. The abundance of power would be more than enough to power the shield in the event of an attack and with the apparent astronomical amounts of energy available, Atlantis may very well be able to shield the entire planet, similar to how the Ancients used it to protect Lantea from the CME (mentioned in "Echoes").

The great thing is that if the worst were to happen and the planet's core went critical, Atlantis could simply take off and enter hyperspace instead of being destroyed like what happened at Icarus.
                                Last edited by Aesop; 02 January 2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X