WOW season two was amazing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
    Yeah, I barely watch SyFy at all anymore. I think Warehouse 13 is the only show I currently watch on that channel. What a shame.
    I don't know what the sy-fy channel is like in the states but in Britain its pants...Can't remember ever seeing stargate on it in recent years.
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

The first 1/2 dozen episodes of Season one were the best -for me. True science fiction! The show kind of went downhill after that. The more the aliens got involved and the ‘Lucien Alliance’ crap, the more they ruined the show.

The killer tech swarms towards the end of Season two were interesting from an "alien" POV but of questionable motivation. The only thing I could image was some "Luddite minded society" reasoned all technology was "evil" and had to be destroyed along with any life forms there in. So the aliens are a virus....kind of like "Prometheus"?

But if it is a 'religion' they would attack the "sin- not the sinner" and seek to convert the lifeforms?

I found any interaction with the ship fascinating as a 'character device' and this kept my interest going through the series. I also found the scientist characters of Eli and Rush [Volger & Brody] worth following.
      Last edited by psl1; 17 November 2012, 04:07 PM.
      SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
        The first 1/2 dozen episodes of Season one were the best -for me. True science fiction! The show kind of went downhill after that. The more the aliens got involved and the ‘Lucien Alliance’ crap, the more they ruined the show. I understand what you mean about TRUE science fiction, the show maybe felt it had to keep up with the trends of the time but it was to the detriment of the sg franchise as it wasn't what we had come to expect from a stargate offering.
        But as a sci-fi show it was riveting and I for one didn't feel put of by the lack of s.g familiarity that I think others may have felt.
        Some people watched Stargate because of what it was, not what it tried to be, Does that make any sense?

The killer tech swarms towards the end of Season two were interesting from an "alien" POV but of questionable motivation. The only thing I could image was some "Luddite minded society" reasoned all technology was "evil" and had to be destroyed along with any life forms there in. So the aliens are a virus....kind of like "Prometheus"?
        I also would have liked a bit of background on the drones origins as they were a main factor in the second season.
        I don't think a society that hates technology would use it to destroy other technology, maybe it was the old' A.I takes over' cliché .
        I personally like to think it was maybe built like an aerial orbital defence system similar to the idea behind the space mines used in sg1 a few times.

But if it is a 'religion' they would attack the "sin- not the sinner" and seek to convert the lifeforms?

I found any interaction with the ship fascinating as a 'character device' and this kept my interest going through the series. I also found the scientist characters of Eli and Rush [Volger & Brody] worth following.
        That was also a stroke of genius enabling the ship to communicate and interact with the crew, it added that element of surprise, 'what's the ship going to do now' sort of thing and opened up a multitude of storylines ohhh why did it have to end? why I ask you?

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
          That was also a stroke of genius enabling the ship to communicate and interact with the crew, it added that element of surprise, 'what's the ship going to do now' sort of thing and opened up a multitude of storylines ohhh why did it have to end? why I ask you?
          That came out wrong, I added bits in the other comment but it has just added it as one big thing, sorry for that. still figuring out a few kinks so read it all if your interested. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
            Totally agree, loved how Destiny became as much a 'character' as everyone on board her.

It became more intriguing in season two as two individuals ended up as consciousnesses in the ship, and actually affected outcomes. Franklin 'haunting' Rush as the ship questioning his actions was great. I loved the episode 'Trial and Error' for this reason, how the ship could affect the mind of a person and act in response to how Young behaved when he gave up by actually coming out of FTL and stopping for no reason.

It was a shame we could never see how this would have developed and how much more the crew really had to interact with the ship for things to be done efficiently. I always felt that a neural connection with the ship and its occupants was a part of the ship's originally designed method of operation.

Comment

I was irratiated we never saw what happened to Franklin. Was the Franklin in S2 the real Franklin or just Destiny using a projection like it did with Gloria? So many unanswered question
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                Totally agree, loved how Destiny became as much a 'character' as everyone on board her.

It became more intriguing in season two as two individuals ended up as consciousnesses in the ship, and actually affected outcomes. Franklin 'haunting' Rush as the ship questioning his actions was great. I loved the episode 'Trial and Error' for this reason, how the ship could affect the mind of a person and act in response to how Young behaved when he gave up by actually coming out of FTL and stopping for no reason.

It was a shame we could never see how this would have developed and how much more the crew really had to interact with the ship for things to be done efficiently. I always felt that a neural connection with the ship and its occupants was a part of the ship's originally designed method of operation.
                That was the great thing about the ship doing that (manifesting itself as others) especially when Rush discovered the bridge, because it never actually influenced any decisions, it merely presented all sides of the argument in a totally un-biased way, infuriatingly brilliant.
                Also bear in mind the ship saved the crew and itself in one of the last episodes( can't remember the name) when it decided to take its time going round that blue giant as it knew there was drones waiting and if they arrived any sooner they would have been unable to jump into FTL.
                What I love about that is that the ship obviously was aware of the threat but didn't alert the crew just made it so they had more options when the situation arose.
                Same as when it used to drop out of FTL near certain gates, it knew the crew needed supplies, it wouldn't tell them what they would find on the planet or how to obtain it, just that there was something on that planet that could make the crews life more bearable.
                As witnessed in the episode where it runs the battle scenarios on col. Young, it is almost like it is taking stock of the crew and what kind of people they are. love the whole concept

Comment

Far too often the Science fiction AIien machines are portrayed as either diabolical monsters or [intentionally or not] misguided machines. It was nice to see someone brave enough to attempt at an alien machine that was- not only helpful- but almost a mentor/guardian more capable than the best of earth scientist.

Comment

Far too often the Science fiction AIien machines are portrayed as either diabolical monsters or [intentionally or not] misguided machines. It was nice to see someone brave enough to attempt at an alien machine that was- not only helpful- but almost a mentor/guardian more capable than the best of earth scientist.
                    Agreed, Destiny is a refreshing change. Destiny isn't just some machine to be taken for granted, she lets the crew know she is aware of them and they have to work together to help eachother.

Aspects like this put her on the top of my list of favourite Sci Fi ships. Everything about her is wonderful,"powered by the stars themselves", what a fantastic idea, executed with outstanding visuals on screen! Her sleek lines to the artistic design of the interior. Things like the great attention to detail with the door opening mechanisms and all the copper piping and lights of the consoles. Destiny looks functionally and aesthetically great as well as being a 'thoughtful' aid to hers and the crews' survival.

I like the way this contrast to other machines and ships is highlighted by the fact that all the 'evil' machines in SGU look stocky and ugly in comparison, have only one objective and could never deviate from it. You almost feel outrage that such a lovely 'character' is being attacked and 'injured'!

Comment

You're crazy. Season 1 was so much better. The stories made sense in the first season whereas season 2 was just a typical action fest cliche sci-fi show with no real heart. SGU is by far my favorite of the series, and season 1 is much better than the second!
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by dacooker
                      The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        You're crazy. Season 1 was so much better. The stories made sense in the first season whereas season 2 was just a typical action fest cliche sci-fi show with no real heart. SGU is by far my favorite of the series, and season 1 is much better than the second!
                        To each their own my friend
                        Season one definitely had it's strong points as a sci-fi show in general, but it was slightly out of the sg comfort zone. to much at once I think
                        But I still thoroughly enjoyed it but felt that season two was more back to the stargate franchise mentality, without sacrificing to much of its originality.(sgu)

Comment

I wouldn't say season one was better, but equally as good as season 2. I liked both seasons for different reasons. The disharmony in the beginning rang true to me, and the gradual melding of the crew as they went along in season 2. Season 1 made season 2 work.

I also really loved the Destiny as a character concept. I am sad we won't get to see how that would have played out.
                          sigpic

Comment

YEAAAH that’s what I'm talking about! I felt the more they worried about TV ratings and strayed into the old formula TV shoot ‘em up the more I lost respect for the show.

I would remind everyone that the 'most popular shows' are not the 'best shows', but those that appeal to the lowest common denominator. Quality takes allot of time and effort and in TV/Movies a bit of investment on the part of the audience.

Comment

YEAAAH that’s what I'm talking about! I felt the more they worried about TV ratings and strayed into the old formula TV shoot ‘em up the more I lost respect for the show.

I would remind everyone that the 'most popular shows' are not the 'best shows', but those that appeal to the lowest common denominator. Quality takes allot of time and effort and in TV/Movies a bit of investment on the part of the audience.
                              Best to whom? Quality a subjective factor that is going to vary based on the person
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Best to whom? Quality a subjective factor that is going to vary based on the person
                                Maybe , but it is not just a random distribution of votes by TV viewers- either. It’s not a popularity contest. TV marketing is all about giving the customers what they want . It has nothing to do with expanding their horizons or educating them or amusing/exciting them- which are actually the foundations of entertainment.

I have learnt through decades of TV/Movie watching that most people see war or killing as a valid form of entertainment. Having studied wars all my life, I cannot accept this as entertaining....and since it is done so poorly on modern TV, it’s not interesting to me. I see them as a cliché and steer clear of TV shows with such violence and applaud those that are brave enough to actually try to deal with real human conditions, that I can relate to.

Have you ever been in a war or fight where your life was threatened. It changes your ‘value system’ and outlook on life.

Comment

Working...
                                X