No announcement yet.

WOW season two was amazing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In s1 I hated "Darkness" and "Light" because they spent TWO episodes just drifting into a star, only to find out that they're just recharging the ship.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

True, the first part was quite boring but it was worth it to see destiny dive into a star and recharge. For me that made it all worthwhile as it was such a cool idea and the imagery was excellent. Probably the best CGI in any stargate show - very realistic and it actually looked like a real camera following it.

Comment

I also didn't like "Life". BOOOORING.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
          Another U fan here too. I didn't like S1 much because after they recharged in a star for the first time the show seemed to drop dead for half the season. This ruined it but season 2 was excellent and definitely had a lot of potential.
          I have to disagree with you here my friend, the episodes where they recharged in the star were some of the most compelling.
          Thats one of the things I liked about sgu, There was no easy fix like in sg1 and sga where a solution in the tough questions were dealt with in single episodes, sgu was more of a realistic show where things don't fall into place as easy as in sg1 and sga.
          Don't take that to mean I didn't love sg1 and sga because I do but let's be honest things did work out quite easy for them
          Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

^^ I agree with you on that sgelite. The characters on SG-1 and, to a lesser extend Atlantis, had plenty of allies to whom they could turn for help and backup. The Destiny crew had to do everything on their own, and sometimes that meant admitting their loss, which is what they thought was happening in Darkness/Light. They thought they were going to die, so they chose 17 people to try and make something of themselves. They didn't know Destiny was simply recharging itself (except Rush maybe, I'm still not sure about that).

I liked it. They had to solve and deal with everything on their own, and could only get a bit of help from earth through the stones. It's why everything went to hell every now and then lol, but still..

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
              I have to disagree with you here my friend, the episodes where they recharged in the star were some of the most compelling.
              Re-read what I said. The show dropped dead AFTER that. Air 1,2,3 then Darkness and Light were good. AFTER that it went downhill before picking up at the end.

I'll not forgive Mellozzi (however its spelt) for screwing up such a wonderful show. I've become addicted to youtube just to get a bit of destiny footage and I'm running out of stuff to watch

Comment

Tonight I saw on scyfy a commercial for some stupid ass reality show where some fat person holds a snake in a dark room and screams. For S*** sake, this is what they have on instead of SGU-- We should have been given at least a third season with some closure to the epic 12 years of SG.
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 November 2012, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I barely watch SyFy at all anymore. I think Warehouse 13 is the only show I currently watch on that channel. What a shame.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Re-read what I said. The show dropped dead AFTER that. Air 1,2,3 then Darkness and Light were good. AFTER that it went downhill before picking up at the end.

I'll not forgive Mellozzi (however its spelt) for screwing up such a wonderful show. I've become addicted to youtube just to get a bit of destiny footage and I'm running out of stuff to watch
                    MY Apologies there, I see what you meant
                    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by sjleader View Post
                      For S*** sake, this is what they have on instead of SGU-- We should have been given at least a third season with some closure to the epic 12 years of SG.
                      Actually, it was 14 years and to be honest yes it's a terrible, awful shame.

What annoyed me though was how inconsiderate the producers of the show were towards us the fans. They ruined the SG franchise for us all. I could live with the stranded on an ancient space ship thing.. that was cool but they tried to turn it into a slow moving drama and sci-fi fans don't watch sci-fi for drama - they watch it for sci-fi.

Then there was the inconsiderateness of everything else. For 14 yes Mr Mellozzi FOURTEEN years we have all been wanting to know how the stargates are made, where they are made, how they are put on planets. You gave us 5, yes FIVE seconds of a stargate production line. We didn't get to look around at incomplete stargates, we didn't get to see a finished stargate, we didn't get to see a stargate being put on a planet. No, we got NOTHING for our 14 years, I repeat, 14 long years of dedication. We finally thought we were catching up with the ancients and discovering the grail of the ancient culture with their technology and science and all that kept happening was the producers kept teasing us and even the teases became smaller and shorter. We didn't even see the seed ship go up in smoke, we just saw it disappear on a compuiter screen.

We don't even know how the seed ship survived so long with so much power and no weapons or shields like the destiny. Just how did it survive hostile attacks over millions of years?

Tease, tease, tease. Thats what the producers did to us and then when they'd had their fun they played the ultimate cruel trick and left us with an unfinished story on the basis that it could be revived in the future.. THEN they sold off the props from all 3 shows.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                        In s1 I hated "Darkness" and "Light" because they spent TWO episodes just drifting into a star, only to find out that they're just recharging the ship.
                        I guess I'm weird because I loved those two episodes. The visuals were incredible (the aerobraking maneuver in "Darkness" and the dive into the start in "Light"). IMO, that's how CGI should be used. It looked believable. Not like some of the over done CGI in recent movies where it almost looks like a cartoon. Then again, I'd probably be considered an oddball since I love all three SG series.

SG:U was what got me hooked on the franchise. Came home from worked one day and turned on the bedroom TV while changing my clothes. Flipping through the channels I stumbled on a episode of SG:U from season two. I didn't really know what was going on since I hadn't seen any previous episodes, but it seemed cool, so I searched for it on Netflix and started with season 1. Watch all of it plus first episode of season 2. At that point, someone on another forum asked how I knew what was going on since I hadn't watched SG-1 or SG:A. So I decided I'd better catch up. Stopped watching SG:U and started with SG-1. Over the course of two years, I watched the entire franchise (including Ark of Truth and Continuum) twice. Just finished the second time through about two weeks ago with Gauntlet. I'm on a little break now to finish watching a couple of other series (Firefly and Farscape) but I'm already starting to experience SG withdrawal and will probably start another re-watch and soon as I'm done with season 4 of Farscape.

In one of the Gateworld podcasts, I heard the franchise described as "comfort food". I'd say this holds true for me.

Comment

Comfort food lol.

I'd say it's probably the same for me too as despite not liking the first season a great deal, I still watched and stuck with it. Yes, I repeat, I didn't like SGU1 but I STILL watched (for the benefit of any MGM / SyFy / Brad people). I got hooked on the show at the end of S1 and S2 just saw me reserve the TV every saturday night. My missus would switch over to PickTV every saturday at 9pm for me because she knew how much it meant to me.

Also I have to agree Les, the CGI in SGU was extraordinary. Far superior to much of the CGI in SG-1 and SGA which was good but did get a bit tacky sometimes. In SGU the CGI around the planets and stars was very realistic especially in Light. They performed a very cool trick with the camera too looking like the camera man was struggling to stay in focus and follow the destiny. It made it all the more realistic and made the show even more believable. Unlike the S2E19 where they're walking around a city that is basically earth.. in one shop they even have a till / sales register on the counter and its quite clearly from earth. A really low budget show imo.

Now it's gone (well almost, last episode is tomorrow) and I am absolutely GUTTED.

Comment

What annoyed me though was how inconsiderate the producers of the show were towards us the fans. They ruined the SG franchise for us all. I could live with the stranded on an ancient space ship thing.. that was cool but they tried to turn it into a slow moving drama and sci-fi fans don't watch sci-fi for drama - they watch it for sci-fi.
                            The problem is that you see the two as incompatible, when the truth is that "slow moving drama" is the key to science fiction. Consider, for example, 2001: A Space Odyssey, which is widely regarded as one of the best science fiction films of all time and, by the way, popularized the term "stargate."

Then there was the inconsiderateness of everything else. For 14 yes Mr Mellozzi FOURTEEN years we have all been wanting to know how the stargates are made, where they are made, how they are put on planets. You gave us 5, yes FIVE seconds of a stargate production line. We didn't get to look around at incomplete stargates, we didn't get to see a finished stargate, we didn't get to see a stargate being put on a planet.

Given what had been established before and what would be established later, it would make no sense for us to see a Stargate planted on a planet. For example, we know from the history of the Novans that the working Seed Ships are at least two thousand years ahead of Destiny, so the odds of Destiny encountering a Seed Ship in a position to plant a Stargate are somewhat negligible.

Second, why is seeing Stargate production such a big deal? I mean, it's not like it adds that much to our knowledge of the Ancients or the setting, for the Destiny Mission, the Seed Ships assemble Stargates, find planets of interest, and then plant Stargates there. In galaxies that the Ancients actually colonized (like the Milky Way and Pegasus), there are a few more alternative possibilities (e.g., crewed ships carrying pre-made Stargates to the planets), but not by much.

We don't even know how the seed ship survived so long with so much power and no weapons or shields like the destiny. Just how did it survive hostile attacks over millions of years?
                            Probably because nobody stumbled across it - space is inconceivably vast and, if there were nothing in the area to warrant a closer look (e.g., a habitable planet around a nearby star), odds are that the ship could go unnoticed for a long, long time.
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              The problem is that you see the two as incompatible, when the truth is that "slow moving drama" is the key to science fiction. Consider, for example, 2001: A Space Odyssey, which is widely regarded as one of the best science fiction films of all time and, by the way, popularized the term "stargate."
                              I can't comment on that film as I've not seen it. All I will say is that you are (imo) wrong. Look at SG-1 and SGA - both different and both were immediate hits. SGU went with the slow moving drama and look now - it's in the trash with the other two shows they wasted in SGUs favour. Thanks to SGUs first season, that is the end of the whole SG franchise.

Given what had been established before and what would be established later, it would make no sense for us to see a Stargate planted on a planet.
                              You are right in the sense that it would be pointless for MGM to waste time on it however we the fans have waited for 14 years to see how this tech is made and distributed. Don't you remember the first few stargate shows you saw when you wondered who built them and how? - How did they get there, how many of them etc? Thats the point. We know in theory how its done but actually seeing it would have been a nice treat.

For example, we know from the history of the Novans that the working Seed Ships are at least two thousand years ahead of Destiny, so the odds of Destiny encountering a Seed Ship in a position to plant a Stargate are somewhat negligible.
                              We also know that destiny was clearly capable of docking with waiting seed ships and performing a data download. While the show did state the ship wasn't active (can't remember the exact wording) the crew then started tinkering which presumably would put both ships into manual control. We still don't know if destiny would have automatically sent the seed ship back off on its merry way.

We also don't know that they are 'ahead'. We know that galaxies can have billions of stars and planets. Each seed ship would need to scan each solar system and that would take a lot of time so it really is quite plausible for destiny to catch up with seed ships every now and then (hence the docking system being built in the first place).

Second, why is seeing Stargate production such a big deal? I mean, it's not like it adds that much to our knowledge of the Ancients or the setting, for the Destiny Mission, the Seed Ships assemble Stargates, find planets of interest, and then plant Stargates there. In galaxies that the Ancients actually colonized (like the Milky Way and Pegasus), there are a few more alternative possibilities (e.g., crewed ships carrying pre-made Stargates to the planets), but not by much.
                              To you it might not of been much but to some of us who spent 14 years wanting to know who made them, how, how they were distributed etc, yes it did mean a lot. Thats clearly something the production crew over looked and it could have made a difference in viewer numbers.

Probably because nobody stumbled across it - space is inconceivably vast and, if there were nothing in the area to warrant a closer look (e.g., a habitable planet around a nearby star), odds are that the ship could go unnoticed for a long, long time.
                              Yes but that doesn't protect it from an alien race with powerful weapons when planting a gate does it. We still don't know if it teleports a gate onto the surface or actually descends to the planet and physically puts it there before returning to space. Either way if some of those planets were advanced enough they'd be able to attack the seed ships. So, again, just how did they manage to survive with inferior weapons and shields? - That is assuming that they were inferior. For all we know the one ship we saw may have just had no defences left due to previous fights like destiny - others may be in a better condition with weapons and shields. I guess we'll never know now

Comment

Given what had been established before and what would be established later, it would make no sense for us to see a Stargate planted on a planet. For example, we know from the history of the Novans that the working Seed Ships are at least two thousand years ahead of Destiny, so the odds of Destiny encountering a Seed Ship in a position to plant a Stargate are somewhat negligible.
                                This is also actually another reason for us to see a seed ship at work. We don't actually know how long it takes to manufacture a stargate. For all we know it could take a fortnight to build all the components, sensors etc and then assemble them for each gate. Now imagine 100,000 habitable planets in the galaxy, thats 200,000 weeks. Thats a smidgen over 3846 years per galaxy. Now the seed ship may have a long corridor of gates but I'd suspect only the final few are actually ready to be put into service (eg 5 - 10) so the seed ship couldn't really exceed more than one gate per manufacturing period or it would run out of gates to use. In other words it would have to pace out the work.

Then it needs to acquire new materials every now and again so it can continue building gates.. Thats gotta take some time.

So it is indeed plausible for destiny to catch up with seed ships every now and again. It would also be plausible for destiny to then follow a seed ship to its next planet after docking and downloading before the pair split and go their seperate ways.

Hah! Didn't think of that did you
                                Last edited by Energizer_Vs_ZPM; 07 December 2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X