This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
    I watched because it was SG (it was hard to tell at times) and there wasn't a lot of options - probably why the older male demographic carried the show. It did a drastic turnaround for season 2 as the characters were toned down and the focus was more on destiny aspect. I really like the first few episodes and the last few, it was hard to watch the 34 episodes in between. The thing that surprises me is that the treatment of the military didn't drive off more fans.
    The fact it was SG is why I stuck with it. Had it been any other show, I would've jumped ship. I also agree that the show did a drastic turn around in season 2. I feel the last few episodes were extremely well done. I'd finally gotten to a point where I was awaiting the new episode each week...but that didn't last long due to the cancellation.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
      While you and I may not have racial demographics, I guarantee you SyFy does. Nielsen keeps track of stuff like that. Advertisers first choice is White Male 18-49 which, coincidentally, tends to skew conservative politically.
      I never suggested that Syfy doesn't have those demographics, I said that we don't, therefore none of us can make assertions about them. Whether conservative skew white male or not is neither here nor there, because we don't know what the shows racial demo's are to begin with.

In what world does "Right Wing" and "Conservative" not equal the same thing?
      Uh... the world. Conservatism is about about maintaining the status quo in one sense or another, it is defined relative to a countries political history and culture, not the right/left political spectrum itself. You could be right wing, left wing, liberal or authoritarian and still be a conservative depending on the country or culture you're in. Strictly speaking, the Democrats in the US are right wing, but they're certainly not conservative, ditto the Libertarians over there.

Comment

In what world does "Right Wing" and "Conservative" not equal the same thing?
        This was brought up a page or two back: depends on whether the originator of the thread meant politically conservative (i.e. right wing) or (ignoring politics) socially/philosophically conservative i.e. reluctant to embrace change.

Comment

So we don't entirely disagree, if I understand you. We both agree the show was helped by Conservatives in addition to the standard audience of Fen, we're just of different minds about the ammount. I say the core of SG1 was Conservative, with a minority of Fen.
          What's Fen?
          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

[QUOTE=KEK;12983890]And you don't see the logical fallacy there? Just because most conservatives are (allegedly) old and white, doesn't mean all or even most old and white viewers are conservative.
            QUOTE]

good pointing out of possible reverse-logic fallacies

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
            Yes! Yes! Yes!.
            I am very conservative and I loved SGU(still do) and all of Stargate.
            And I'm also a woman and loved the show. I found nothing on there offensive to me as a woman at all.
            And as for graphic content SGU had far less of it(and was far better written) then most of the stuff that's on prime time TV these days. I had no problem letting my children watch it. And that's all I'm going to say on this thread.
            even the sex scenes in SGU? like the first one between Matthew Scott and Vanessa James?

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
            This was brought up a page or two back: depends on whether the originator of the thread meant politically conservative (i.e. right wing) or (ignoring politics) socially/philosophically conservative i.e. reluctant to embrace change.
            rules out economically conservative
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
              Morrismike,

"low quality" that's your opinion. I thought SG:U was fairly high quality.
              Several million non-viewers tend to agree with me. From SyFy's perspective (as a business) it was a loser.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                What's Fen?
                I'm pretty sure it is meant to be the plural of "fan", in a cute internet/fannish way. Instead of "fans", but really for no good reason, just because we like to make up words.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  The fact it was SG is why I stuck with it. Had it been any other show, I would've jumped ship. I also agree that the show did a drastic turn around in season 2. I feel the last few episodes were extremely well done. I'd finally gotten to a point where I was awaiting the new episode each week...but that didn't last long due to the cancellation.
                  A lot of SGU viewers were watching because it was the only SG available.

Comment

Several million non-viewers tend to agree with me. From SyFy's perspective (as a business) it was a loser.
                    Non-viewers may or may not agree with you, actually. If you have never watched a show, you usually don't have an opinion about its quality.

Now, if you want to say "a million plus viewers who stopped watching agree with me", that I'll let you have.

Although we still don't know if it means "not high quality" - really just means "not something I liked".

There are things I don't like/don't watch/don't read/don't listen to that I'm sure are of very high quality. For example, there are no doubt brilliant works of horror film that exist, but because I don't like the genre, I don't watch. Doesn't mean they aren't high quality.

But y'all and I have had this conversation before, I think.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                      I'm not sure why a thread was even started hinting conservatives killed the show with the demographic being older male viewers and so few women watching. It's almost like they were trying to start a fight. It would be more logical to ask why the women and kids killed SGU (since that is demographic present in SG1 and A that SGU lacked).

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                        Non-viewers may or may not agree with you, actually. If you have never watched a show, you usually don't have an opinion about its quality.

Now, if you want to say "a million plus viewers who stopped watching agree with me", that I'll let you have.

Although we still don't know if it means "not high quality" - really just means "not something I liked".

There are things I don't like/don't watch/don't read/don't listen to that I'm sure are of very high quality. For example, there are no doubt brilliant works of horror film that exist, but because I don't like the genre, I don't watch. Doesn't mean they aren't high quality.

But y'all and I have had this conversation before, I think.
                        As a business, all that SyFy cares about is viewers vs. cost. Viewers didn't show and SyFy grew weary of throwing money into a pit.

Comment

As a woman, I would like to point out that SGU had plenty of female viewers. In fact, when the numbers were posted here on GW on the ratings thread, I'm pretty sure the female demographic, while lower than the male, was not far off from a lot of other Syfy shows.

Green to whomever tracks them down for me, with comparison to other shows!
                          sigpic

Comment

As a business, all that SyFy cares about is viewers vs. cost. Viewers didn't show and SyFy grew weary of throwing money into a pit.
                            Well, I wasn't talking about Syfy, was I? I didn't mention Syfy at all, I was discussing your use of the term "low quality".
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                              As a woman, I would like to point out that SGU had plenty of female viewers. In fact, when the numbers were posted here on GW on the ratings thread, I'm pretty sure the female demographic, while lower than the male, was not far off from a lot of other Syfy shows.

Green to whomever tracks them down for me, with comparison to other shows!
                              Sorry to correct you but SGU didn't had that much female viewers. Don't find the chart right now but I've seen numbers around 17 - 20 %, and that's very, very low.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                              Sig & Avi by Josi
                              sigpic
                              LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                              I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                                Sorry to correct you but SGU didn't had that much female viewers. Don't find the chart right now but I've seen numbers around 17 - 20 %, and that's very, very low.
                                I'm pretty sure you are not correct, but as I said, I don't have the numbers. They were cited on the ratings thread in this forum, and I'll go and try to find them!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X