This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themyst View Post
    ETA: In other words, we like our hour or so of scifi escapism. But some of the episodes in SGU seemed more like someone was pushing an agenda instead of simply writing a scifi show.
    There was no agenda being pushed. Those things are a part of life. And it was a very SMALL part of the show.

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
    There seems to be some sort of cycle going on with topics like this. Race, sex, homosexuality, swearing - in the beginning it's considered "bad"; it becomes tolerated then acceptable; finally it's all-but promoted, with it being overtly introduced into shows.

I don't have problems with the inherent topic, only in the "we're a modern, trendy show so we're including a gay couple and an inter-racial couple" way it's done.
    I do agree that shows are using these items as plot devices too often. However, I don't feel it was over done on SGU. It was just too dark in the beginning and too much of a departure from what we've been used to on SG1 and SGA.
    sigpic

Comment

themyst,

Erm ... a little background - my husband and I are social conservatives - although we will be voting for Ron Paul next election.

So regardless of the controversial statement that was uttered/not uttered and no one knows what it really meant, if we're having as discussion simply wondering if conservatives could have killed the show, I suppose it is possible if our demographic is the one watching.

He is white, in his late 40's, I am white, in my early 40's. And to be quite frank, neither of us liked the sex and gay situations in SGU. Although we really liked the show (because we're both BIG Stargate fans), we prefer a series where sex and alternative sexual lifestyle isn't an agenda of the show. We probably would have stopped watching if the show had continued and the sexual/lifestyle situations had been carried on.

ETA: In other words, we like our hour or so of scifi escapism. But some of the episodes in SGU seemed more like someone was pushing an agenda instead of simply writing a scifi show.
      Upon what do you base your assertion that "Alternate lifestyle" was the "agenda" of the show? I loved the fact that is wasn't really made a big deal of. It just was. You do not and will never have the right to tell someone else how they should or should not behave in private. This show did not have Camille forcing her sexuality on anyone. She was in a committed relationship and this show took time to describe many intimate moments. Camille's were the same way. The fact that her lifestyle choice makes you uncomfortable does not mean it was "in your face".

If Camille had been visiting her Husband during "Life" would you even have batted an eyelash?
      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
        You do not and will never have the right to tell someone else how they should or should not behave in private.
        You're preaching to the choir here. I believe anyone should be able to do whatever they want in private. Polygamy, whatever. Adults should be able to make their own choices. So I don't know why you felt you needed to make that statement.

The fact that her lifestyle choice makes you uncomfortable does not mean it was "in your face".
        And at the same time, you have no right to tell me how I must feel about something. I felt that it was in my face and I choose not to be around it.

If Camille had been visiting her Husband during "Life" would you even have batted an eyelash?
        In fact, I didn't like those scenes where spouses were visited at all. I was watching a scifi show - if I wanted family relationship issues, I'd flick over to Lifetime.

Comment

themyst,

Why did the scenes where homosexuality is shown as normal make you uncomfortable?
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Because I don't approve of that behavior.

And I'm not sure why you are trying to turn this into an argument. I simply replied to a thread where a discussion was carried on about maybe conservatives not liking certain aspects of the show - and I agreed that it was my position.

Comment

You have to wonder if this was an issue. The huge fall off in ratings was after Life, and episode homophobes would hate. I know people put that down to the Earth scenes, but there were just as many in Earth as in Life, and the numbers grew after that.

Comment

themyst,

What I don't understand is if you make this statement:

You're preaching to the choir here. I believe anyone should be able to do whatever they want in private. Polygamy, whatever. Adults should be able to make their own choices.
                why it matters if someone portrays a dramatic private moment of homosexuals who love each other?

Comment

Because I don't approve of that behavior.

And I'm not sure why you are trying to turn this into an argument. I simply replied to a thread where a discussion was carried on about maybe conservatives not liking certain aspects of the show - and I agreed that it was my position.
                  “The barometer of where one is on human rights question is no longer the black community, it’s the gay community. Because it is the community most easily mistreated.” - Bayard Rustin (1986, Unsung hero of the civil rights movement and social rights activist)
                  sigpic

Comment

Sorry if you don't like my views. You don't have to.

Comment

Themyst,

It's not that I dislike your views. I'm asking you to take a hard look at why you hold them.

Comment

It's not that I dislike your views. I'm asking you to take a hard look at why you hold them.
                        Perhaps this should be taken to a different thread/format. Why people hold any type of personal view is not necessarily for public debate.

I'd also say, as an outsider in the debate, that a comment like the above seems very antagonistic and does indeed imply that you dislike their view quite strongly and believe it to be wrong.

Comment

And to quote one of my favorite SG1 characters ... Indeed.

Comment

themyst,

Upon what do you base your assertion that "Alternate lifestyle" was the "agenda" of the show? I loved the fact that is wasn't really made a big deal of. It just was. You do not and will never have the right to tell someone else how they should or should not behave in private. This show did not have Camille forcing her sexuality on anyone. She was in a committed relationship and this show took time to describe many intimate moments. Camille's were the same way. The fact that her lifestyle choice makes you uncomfortable does not mean it was "in your face".

An individual has a right to an opinion. The demographics show that conservatives (older white males) continued to watch the show while the other more "hip" demo all this stuff was aimed towards left in droves. Conservatives did not kill the show.

If Camille was visiting her husband I wold still ask why precious airtime was being wasted on that.

Comment

Quzziard, Themyst,

Fair enough.

Comment

Morrismike,

I wasn't overly fond of "Life" myself. If found it to be the slowest episode of Season 1. But I did like the character driven nature of the SG:U. I would have rather had more story in that episode but with some of the nice character moments thrown in.

Comment

Working...
                                X