Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

y'all are guessing as to whether viewers are political conservatives or not seeing as how that question is not asked in any neilson's brochure i've seen.

you're stereotyping.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      y'all are guessing as to whether viewers are political conservatives or not seeing as how that question is not asked in any neilson's brochure i've seen.

you're stereotyping.
      Older White Males very likely white collar. That's not stereotyping it is statistics. A great many (maybe most) of the viewers were social conservatives. To say that social conservatives weren't watching is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        Older White Males very likely white collar. That's not stereotyping it is statistics. A great many (maybe most) of the viewers were social conservatives. To say that social conservatives weren't watching is just silly.
        If its statistics you should be able to prove it.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

let's not judge others opinions as 'silly'. they're not empirically silly. You may think that they are, but thats' just your opinion.

opinions don't equal fact

sigpic

Comment

let's not judge others opinions as 'silly'. they're not empirically silly. You may think that they are, but thats' just your opinion.

opinions don't equal fact
            We have the demographic data and those weren't Obama fans watching SGU.

Least likely to be social conservative - young women SGU is one of the worst shows for this demographic (even wrestlings drew more viewers)

Next least likely to be social conservatives - old women SGU poor in this pool too

unlikely social conservatives - young men - SGU awful in this demographic

likely social conservative - employed older white males - SGU's primary fan base

I can appreciate someone thinking social conservatives hated the show, but they seem to be the primary demographic.

Comment

That analysis does seem to suggest that all older men are socially conservative and all older women are not socially conservative.... in fact, that all women are not socially conservative... I find that hard to believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                That analysis does seem to suggest that all older men are socially conservative and all older women are not socially conservative.... in fact, that all women are not socially conservative... I find that hard to believe!
                In America, most older white males vote Republican which is logical since they carry the tax burden for the nation. That is the core of the Republican Party. That core is who was watching SGU based on demographics. This is statistics not stereotypes. Nobody is talking "all" here just "most" with these demographics.

The younger people and women that tend to lean the other way weren't watching SGU (SGU was very nearly the worst show in this regard) based on those same demographics. SGU actually chased off an enormous amount of women (numbers and percents) which doesn't bode well for the "social conservatives not watching killed SGU") and had it maintained the same percentage of women as SGA had it would still be on the air.

If it makes you feel better, I think it was pure coincidence the show ended up with a mainly social conservative fanbase (I'm including casual viewers here) for no other reason than those folks watch scifi and there weren't many choices - the quality of the show is immaterial when you decide to watch whatever is available. Your folks that tend not to be older and not nerds are off watching reality shows, DWTS, and stuff like that.

Comment

Why are we even speculating what 'Brad might have meant by it', when there's still no quote, or any reason to think he said anything of the sort?

Comment

I think, provide the quote, in context and with a link, or there's not much purpose to this topic. It's just, in my opinion, one person taking something out of context and trying to make a topic where there is none. (Beyond a study in just how far and fast words can be misquoted)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                      Bitter Atlantis fans, conservatives, closed-minded viewers who won't accept a radically different Stargate; what's next? None of these killed SGU. SGU was set to fail simply because the pacing was glacially slow, the stories told were mostly boring, and the characters were bland. Then there's Eli who's there, because... he's good at video games? Really? Right... The premise of Icarus base being evacuated to Destiny thanks to Dr. Rush who now fight to survive by repairing the ship and then exploring it's mission was a great premise. It failed in execution. People watch Stargate for ADVENTURE, not for gritty intense drama. That, folks, is what killed the show.
                      Agreed. Everyone I know who liked 'Gate, even ones who liked SGU, all agree that it was utterly lacking in the swashbuckling feel that made the first two shows work. They were getting it back in the last 10 eps or so, but, yeah, you're on the money there, Snowman
                      Sincerely,

Kevin Long
                      (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
                      http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

Your arguments have no merit. At the end, the end the only people watching were older white males. SGU diehards were as socially conservative as a fanbase can be.
                        I don't quite follow you. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, Fans ourselves aren't enough to keep a show on the air. It has to have crossover support from 'Danes to keep going. TOS, for instance, never had that. TNG developed it, but then the 'Danes got bored and drifted away and Trek had a slow, lingering death. Ditto the original Dr. Who. Lost was hugely popular among 'Danes, arguably the most popular genre show ever. SG1 was hugely popular with the normal people, but that was eroding by the time of SGA, and had mostly boiled away by the time of SGU, leaving just the fans.

If we assume 'normal people' to be the mundane folk to be the 'conservatives' that Wright may or may not have been talking about, the ones who want bubblegum SF....

I'm just playing this out here, I honestly don't know. I don't know a lot of Socons who watched SGU, but it wasn't like they were boycotting the show. Most of 'em drifted away during SGA
                        Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

you're stereotyping.
                          I'm a member of the demographic in question. I'm allowed to stereotype my own people. <G>

Niesens dont' ask those questions, but it's not hard to predict that, regardless of ratings, "The All Homosexual Atheist Pro-Abortion Hour" isn't going to test as strongly with hard right Republicans as it is with Hard Left Democrats, even allowing for the broad personal differences of opinion within those two groups.

Hm. I wonder if there's a between-the-lines way advertisers can monitor that based on the questions Nielsen DOES ask? Hmmmmm
                          Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

We have the demographic data and those weren't Obama fans watching SGU.

Least likely to be social conservative - young women SGU is one of the worst shows for this demographic (even wrestlings drew more viewers)

Next least likely to be social conservatives - old women SGU poor in this pool too

unlikely social conservatives - young men - SGU awful in this demographic

likely social conservative - employed older white males - SGU's primary fan base

I can appreciate someone thinking social conservatives hated the show, but they seem to be the primary demographic.
                            Interesting. Statistically, then, how did the raw numbers of socons for SGU compare to SGA? For instance, if 3 million people were watching SGA, 1/3rd of them socons, how did that stack up against SGU? 1 million people, only socons? IF so, that supports your theory that they were the only ones who stuck around.
                            Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                              Statistically, younger voters tend to vote left, which is why the Democrats got so involved in the motor voter bills in the '80s - it materially helped their side. College students tend to vote center left, too. Statistically, white males 18-49 tend to vote right. Adult females tend to vote a bit more center-left throughout their lives, but not at all hard-left as is commonly maintained. Military tends to vote right. Minorities are generally assumed to vote hard left, but I honestly don't think this is true because my wife's a minority who generally votes right, most of the Asians I know tend to be center right, and most of the Hispanic population of Florida tends to go Republican in presidential campaigns, but Democrat on state and local ones, so my own experience is that voting as a political block, minority wise, is a bad assumption to make.
                              Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

I think, provide the quote, in context and with a link, or there's not much purpose to this topic. It's just, in my opinion, one person taking something out of context and trying to make a topic where there is none. (Beyond a study in just how far and fast words can be misquoted)
                                Is there any point in any discussion about a dead show from a dead franchise? I mean, we could talk about "Crusade" if you like <G>

This is obviously a fairly limited discussion, since the quote in question appears to be more a vague urban legend than a real thing now that we look at it, *but* the question of what role a political block played in the rise and fall of a 15-year-long franchise really isn't pointless. It's really kinda' fascinating, don't'cha' think? Why does A like something and B doesn't? Did it come down to political preference? Or maybe just the bad lighting on the show?
                                Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Working...
                                X