This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantumIguana View Post
    If Stargate were to come back in a decade or so, I would very much prefer a continuation rather than a reboot. In my opinion, the only reason to do a reboot is if they want to rehash the Gou'ald storyline. If they don't want to do that, they can continue Stargate with the story they want to tell, but keeping the prior canon intact. After all, Stargate Command will presumably go on with its business for the foreseeable future.

How about a new series where the existence of the Stargate is revealed to the public? That should be different enough to give the series a new direction. As it is, it seems difficult to keep the Stargate secret. NASA's rockets would be pointless if you have alien technology. If we want a communications satellite, we should be able to place it within hours with the technology that the SGA has.

Then there is medical tech. At some point, the health benefit is so great that it isn't worth keeping it secret. The sarcophagi may cause some mental changed, but Daniel only had these effects after repeated exposure over a long period of time, and he shook it off pretty quickly. Imagine a hospital with row after row of sarcophagi?

So, I could see maybe in 2020, a continuation series, but dealing not only with what goes on in space, but with the changes the alien tech makes on Earth.
    While its a good idea...I think very few humans would be accepting of aliens. We have issues accepting differences on our own planet...
    sigpic

Comment

If Stargate were to come back in a decade or so, I would very much prefer a continuation rather than a reboot. In my opinion, the only reason to do a reboot is if they want to rehash the Gou'ald storyline. If they don't want to do that, they can continue Stargate with the story they want to tell, but keeping the prior canon intact. After all, Stargate Command will presumably go on with its business for the foreseeable future.
      If Stargate were rebooted, it may not feature the Goa'uld at all. Ra might actually be the last of his kind, or they might introduce an entirely different alien species to represent Ra's people. A reboot could be as different from SG1 as that was from the original movie. The main reason to do a reboot would be to distance the show from Brad Wright's SG1/SGA/SGU world in favor of a different version of Stargate. New producers and writers may simply not care about keeping the canon intact. They may even want to dump it. It'll likely be a reboot à la Batman Begins or Star Trek (2009).

How about a new series where the existence of the Stargate is revealed to the public? That should be different enough to give the series a new direction. As it is, it seems difficult to keep the Stargate secret. NASA's rockets would be pointless if you have alien technology. If we want a communications satellite, we should be able to place it within hours with the technology that the SGA has.
      That was going to be the plot of the third SG-1 movie, but the script was shelved when SGU was cancelled.

Then there is medical tech. At some point, the health benefit is so great that it isn't worth keeping it secret. The sarcophagi may cause some mental changed, but Daniel only had these effects after repeated exposure over a long period of time, and he shook it off pretty quickly. Imagine a hospital with row after row of sarcophagi?
      There weren't that many to begin with, and remember... it was suggested that the sarcophagi are what made the Goa'uld evil.

So, I could see maybe in 2020, a continuation series, but dealing not only with what goes on in space, but with the changes the alien tech makes on Earth.
      Stargate does not have the popularity of Star Trek or Doctor Who. It doesn't even have the popularity of The X Files. Honestly, I don't see it ever coming back. It's done and over. IF it did come back, and that's a big if, it will be a total reboot.

Brad Wright's take on Stargate is done and over. Enjoy what there is, there won't be more.

Comment

If you were going to reboot, then why even call it Stargate? Such a show could easily be made into its own entity altogether. The reason you would want to call it Stargate would be to leverage the existing fan base. A reboot would undermine this. They may not care about continuity at all, but the audience would be stronger if it was a continuation than if it was a reboot.

Battlestar Galactica would not have worked well as a continuation, it worked much better as a reboot. A future Stargate series would be a logical fit as a continuation. Star Trek: The Next Generation would have bombed if it had been a reboot. Yes, I know that Stargate doesn't have as large a following as Star Trek. That doesn't matter. If the Stargate name has any value for a new series, it won't be a reboot.There's no need to reboot, whatever stories you want to tell can be told as a continuation. I'm not suggesting that any of the characters be part of this show, except as cameos.

Comment

If you were going to reboot, then why even call it Stargate?
          The studio, network, and producers would be banking on people wanting to see a new Stargate show. They'd also be banking on people having forgotten, not seen the previous shows, or not caring about whether this is a continuation or a reboot.

Such a show could easily be made into its own entity altogether. The reason you would want to call it Stargate would be to leverage the existing fan base.
          Another reason is because they just like the concept of using stargates to visit alien worlds.

Battlestar Galactica would not have worked well as a continuation, it worked much better as a reboot. A future Stargate series would be a logical fit as a continuation. Star Trek: The Next Generation would have bombed if it had been a reboot. Yes, I know that Stargate doesn't have as large a following as Star Trek. That doesn't matter. If the Stargate name has any value for a new series, it won't be a reboot.There's no need to reboot, whatever stories you want to tell can be told as a continuation. I'm not suggesting that any of the characters be part of this show, except as cameos.
          I didn't watch BSG. Star Trek: The Next Generation could never have been a reboot, because the adventures of Captain Kirk and crew were still continuing at the movie theater. The only logical path to pursue would be a sequel (hence, The Next Generation) set nearly a century into the future so as to distance itself from Kirk to stand on it's own two feet. In fact, that was a big part of TNG, to stand as far apart from the original show as possible. We get the fictional world, but entirely new characters and civilizations. If there were to be a new SG show set in Brad Wright's world, it would have to succeed where SGU failed: an independent show that does not rely on viewers to have seen the prior shows.

Comment

If you were going to reboot, then why even call it Stargate? Such a show could easily be made into its own entity altogether. The reason you would want to call it Stargate would be to leverage the existing fan base. A reboot would undermine this. They may not care about continuity at all, but the audience would be stronger if it was a continuation than if it was a reboot.

It didn't work as a reboot...sorry. But I do agree with your general comments on reboots.
            sigpic

Comment

The studio, network, and producers would be banking on people wanting to see a new Stargate show. They'd also be banking on people having forgotten, not seen the previous shows, or not caring about whether this is a continuation or a reboot.
              If people have forgotten the original, then there wouldn't be value in the Stargate name. Battlestar Galactica couldn't have been a continuation, because there was simply little from which to continue. Also, the original series of BSG was pretty bad, continuing that would have been like continuing a train wreck.

Another reason is because they just like the concept of using stargates to visit alien worlds.
              Which can just as easily be done as a continuation.

If there were to be a new SG show set in Brad Wright's world, it would have to succeed where SGU failed: an independent show that does not rely on viewers to have seen the prior shows.
              SGU failed for its own reasons. It would have been even more of a failure if it had been a truly independent show, because it would have been unable to leverage the existing Stargate fan base. Being a continuation was a strength, not a weakness.

A continuation does not imply that you must have seen the prior shows. We did NOT get entirely new civilizations with TNG. We had a mix of the new and the old. By being a continuation, TNG built upon the existing foundation of Star Trek. You didn't have to have seen the original Star Trek to enjoy TNG, but it was a stronger show for it.

The new Doctor Who is a continuation, but you don't have to have seen the original. The continuity from the old series is still there.

Comment

If people have forgotten the original, then there wouldn't be value in the Stargate name.
                Like I said, the whole point would be to relaunch the Stargate concept without following on from Brad Wright's version of Stargate. You seem to forget that Stargate began with the film, not SG-1. That means that whoever relaunches SG, they really only have to use the original film as a blueprint and then go wherever they want from there.

Which can just as easily be done as a continuation.
                Except that the new producers may not want to do a continuation.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                If there were to be a new SG show set in Brad Wright's world, it would have to succeed where SGU failed: an independent show that does not rely on viewers to have seen the prior shows.
                SGU failed for its own reasons. It would have been even more of a failure if it had been a truly independent show, because it would have been unable to leverage the existing Stargate fan base. Being a continuation was a strength, not a weakness.
                First off, you quote references a quote that has nothing to do with debating a potential fourth show being a continuation or not. I simply said that a fourth show set in Brad Wright's world would have to stand apart without relying on viewers having seen the previous shows. In essence, a successful version of SGU. Further, whether a potential fourth series is a continuation or a reboot, it's not going to be aimed at the fans who have dried up. It's going to be made for casual science-fiction viewers. People who are familiar with Stargate, but likely through reruns without having followed any story lines.

A continuation does not imply that you must have seen the prior shows. We did NOT get entirely new civilizations with TNG. We had a mix of the new and the old. By being a continuation, TNG built upon the existing foundation of Star Trek. You didn't have to have seen the original Star Trek to enjoy TNG, but it was a stronger show for it.
                Again, I'm going to take you back to the central issue surrounding the next series, if there ever is one. New producers, new writers; they'll want to make their own version of Stargate. It's no where near as popular as you want it to be, thus that means it'll likely see a reboot. It might be somewhat recognizable, or it may not be recognizable at all beyond the Milky Way stargates and the SGC. There might not be an Atlantis, no Destiny, Ra was the last of his race, or maybe they're still around but not Goa'uld, the Asgard could simply be evil Roswell aliens, and... well, I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

The new Doctor Who is a continuation, but you don't have to have seen the original. The continuity from the old series is still there.
                Doctor Who is instantly recognizable by the public, hence a continuation worked out. Ask some random guy on the street what Stargate is, and you're going to get a blank stare followed up by, "Stargate, what's that?"

Comment

I haven't forgotten that Stargate began as a movie, I've said nothing that implied this. Yes, they could make a new series as a sequel to the movie rather than as a sequel to the TV series, when did I ever say that they couldn't? But just because they could do this doesn't mean they must or that it would be the best idea. The producers might not want to do a continuation, but that is not relevant. The point is, that you can still tell these stories as a continuation.

If they were to make a new Stargate series, it would be to leverage the existing fans of Stargate. They would be the instant audience for the show. Otherwise, it might as well have a different name. You would have to bring in more people to watch it, but having a group of people already inclined to watch is beneficial. A reboot throws this away.

You're the one who brought up SGU. A continuation of the series is not a "successful SGU", a continuation would be its own entity with its own strengths and weaknesses.

It's no where near as popular as you want it to be, thus that means it'll likely see a reboot.
                  I don't recall making any statement about how popular I thought Stargate was. But your statement makes no sense. A lack of popularity does not imply a reboot.

Doctor Who is instantly recognizable by the public, hence a continuation worked out. Ask some random guy on the street what Stargate is, and you're going to get a blank stare followed up by, "Stargate, what's that?"
                  No, a continuation worked because Doctor Who was tailor made for continuation, just as Stargate is. Doctor Who is some guy traveling in time and space in a blue box. Easy to continue that. The same thing is true with Stargate. It's people going through a ring to save the Earth. Easy to continue that. Do you seriously think a continuation from the movie will be more recognizable than a continuation from the series?

The only reason to do a reboot is if the rights to a continuation of the series proves to be too expensive.

Comment

Being a continuation was a strength, not a weakness.
                    I disagree. The 'Stargate' brand has a stigma attached to it, especially for the people who are into the kind of show that SGU was. People expect more of the same from a franchise show, so those who wanted that were disappointed with SGU, and those that didn't just didn't give it a look in the first place. The shows core viewership was then left to those people who are open to both. Had the show been called 'Destiny', and the ties to Stargate been played down and the show marketed for what it was, I suspect it would have done markedly better than it did. The première numbers were pretty standard for a new Syfy show, so the supposed advantage of being a Stargate show did not seem to manifest, all we got was the down side of the brand alienating the real target audience.

Comment

That would only work if there were people who chose not to watch the show because it was a Stargate show. The show could have easily enough been written to not be a Stargate show at all. Had SGU downplayed the Stargate connection or dispensed with the connection altogether, they show would have drawn considerably less Stargate fans, but I haven't seen any evidence that viewers were turned off by the Stargate name.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        While its a good idea...I think very few humans would be accepting of aliens. We have issues accepting differences on our own planet...
                        not to mention they'd see us as "ants" to step on

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          Like I said, the whole point would be to relaunch the Stargate concept without following on from Brad Wright's version of Stargate. You seem to forget that Stargate began with the film, not SG-1. That means that whoever relaunches SG, they really only have to use the original film as a blueprint and then go wherever they want from there.
                          The beauty of a remake is they get to take (or the opportunity anyway) the good from SG and leave out the bad from TPTW. I think a remake could rock. Reveal the SG to the public, industrialization in a real life space race, and Katie bar the door.

Comment

jump ahead 25 to 50 years, and you could do a soft-reboot, in that you could still do *new* things/characters, but keep the canon and history of the previous tv stargate in tact.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Jumping 25-50 years ahead would suck because it would be more about space ships then simple foot travel using gates to get around (they are no longer needed).

You could simple start off where Atlantis left off and have the city somehow jump to an alternate reality (or completely different galaxy) trying to get back to Pegasus galaxy. Atlantis without the working ZPM and no contact with earth resources would be pretty much starting over from scratch and would get back that exploring a new place vibe we all liked.

Comment

screw waiting 10 yrs i say bring it back now!!! same cast same crew. BRING BACK ELI!!!!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X