Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has gone the way of the T-Rex and the dodo.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

It's not on hiatus, it's over. Hiatus is something we experience between seasons, during mid-season breaks, and the time period between the Atlantis finale and Universe premiere. Those were hiatus breaks. Stargate isn't on hiatus, it is OVER. The sets have been taken down, everything's been auctioned or sold off, and all of the actors and staff have moved on.

Could there be a new series or movie? Sure. However, there are no plans, hence the franchise is over until such announcements are made. I don't know why people can't admit to the franchise having simply ended. It's like denial.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just being realistic. Yeah, SGU's ends on a cliffhanger, and yeah, the whole Wraith storyline from SGA is totally unresolved. Still, we had a good run, no?

Stargate (movie)
        SG-1 (Seasons 1-7)
        SG-1 (Season 8) / Atlantis (Season 1)
        SG-1 (Season 9) / Atlantis (Season 2)
        SG-1 (Season 10) / Atlantis (Season 3)
        The Ark of Truth (movie)
        Atlantis (Season 4)
        Atlantis (Season 5) / Continuum (movie)
        Universe (Seasons 1&2)

354 Episodes & 3 Movies is a good run for a TV franchise, don't ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          It's not on hiatus, it's over. Hiatus is something we experience between seasons, during mid-season breaks, and the time period between the Atlantis finale and Universe premiere. Those were hiatus breaks. Stargate isn't on hiatus, it is OVER. The sets have been taken down, everything's been auctioned or sold off, and all of the actors and staff have moved on.
          Stargate as we know it is over. However, some years down the road there will be some sort of reboot or reimagining of the series. This assumption is based on the current trend in the industry which is to reboot anything and everything.
          sigpic

Comment

Assumptions can be wrong, and not everything gets rebooted. I think people are just assuming it will return because Star Trek made a big, triumphant return. Honestly, Stargate was never that popular to begin with. It was a low-budget cable show that only saw popularity through syndication and DVD's.

If it does return, who's to say it'll be a reboot? Was Star Trek rebooted when it became a movie in 1979 or when it returned to TV in 1987? Yes, it was eventually rebooted with the 2009 movie, but I think you get my point.

Ultimately, this is all speculation. The only concrete information we have is that the franchise is over, and there are no plans for future productions.

Comment

Assumptions can be wrong, and not everything gets rebooted. I think people are just assuming it will return because Star Trek made a big, triumphant return. Honestly, Stargate was never that popular to begin with. It was a low-budget cable show that only saw popularity through syndication and DVD's.
              Errr, Umm, when ST:TOS aired originally it was low budget network show thay only saw popularity in syndication as well.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Yes, but that was back in the 1960's when there were few channels and no home video. Star Trek had a chance to build an audience over it's three year run and through the 70's via syndication. In 2011, we're in an entirely different situation. With endless channels and a flooded science-fiction market, when a popular show ends... people just watch something else. The only time you see a real campaign happen is if the show ends unresolved or on a cliffhanger. Even then, how often has it been successful in recent years? I can only think of two situations. The first was Roswell; it was cancelled, renewed, cancelled, then bought out by another network for a final season. The other was Jericho; cancelled, renewed, cancelled for good. It was only renewed, because CBS was unaware of just how large the audience was. In both cases, once the show finally ended, that was it. No movie, no spinoff, it simply ended.

Aside from Star Trek making a return after a ten year absence (1969-79), can you name anything that was gone for years and returned as a continuation? There are plenty of examples of reboots, but how often do continuations happen?

Comment

Oh I agree with you Snowman, I don't think stargate will *continue* in it's current/ex format, just saying that I think people severely underestimate the popularity of stargate. Sure, I have no solid fact to back up that feeling, but it persists. Perhaps popularity is the wrong word, more like it's penetration into pop culture?
                  sigpic

Comment

Can you provide any examples of penetrating pop culture? I haven't noticed this happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Oh I agree with you Snowman, I don't think stargate will *continue* in it's current/ex format, just saying that I think people severely underestimate the popularity of stargate. Sure, I have no solid fact to back up that feeling, but it persists. Perhaps popularity is the wrong word, more like it's penetration into pop culture?
                      I think the brand recognition is very high especially with this generation, certainly higher than many of the superhero movies coming out lately, which is why I simply can't imagine MGM/Spyglass not wanting to cash in again at some point. But yes, I agree that the longer they wait the less likely it will be a continuation. In fact were their hands not tied somewhat with that Devlin rights issue, I think the wheels would be in motion on a big screen reboot already.

Comment

Hmm, I think it's likely there will be an attempt to return/reboot it in the future at some point, but probably not in the near future or with the same characters/actors, that part is definitely over.

It is a cult franchise, but it has been very successful worldwide even so, wasn't it supposed to be MGM's 2nd most successful franchise after Bond? It was also one of their few successful TV forays I think. Lets face it, even marginally successful concepts are being retooled these days.

The concept is simple yet virtually limitless has proved sustainable over many years, at some point there will be attempts to revive it. As we know even Devlin is still talking sequels to the movie, not that I think he will prove successful.

Comment

Can you provide any examples of penetrating pop culture? I haven't noticed this happening.
                          Nothing that is "hard evidence" no, purely anecdotal. I can go virtually anywhere and talk about stargate, yet even with non scifi fans there is recognition of the name "stargate", they may know nothing more than the name and the movie, and that there was a TV show, and thats about it, but thats "brand recognition" and thats really all I was talking about. Once that brand recognition gets ingrained into people, it's there, even if your personal perception of the brand is not good. Also, I see "stargate-esque" references in plenty of places, but that may purely be an artifact of it just triggering in me.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            I think the brand recognition is very high especially with this generation, certainly higher than many of the superhero movies coming out lately, which is why I simply can't imagine MGM/Spyglass not wanting to cash in again at some point. But yes, I agree that the longer they wait the less likely it will be a continuation. In fact were their hands not tied somewhat with that Devlin rights issue, I think the wheels would be in motion on a big screen reboot already.
                            Yeah, we watch too many ads dude
                            sigpic

Comment

It's been mentioned in The Simpsons, parodied in South Park, referenced in The Big Bang Theory & Community and is mentioned pretty frequently on the Jace Hall Show/Machinima. I doubt you'd find many people that haven't either seen an episode or at least know what it is.

Comment

Aside from Star Trek making a return after a ten year absence (1969-79), can you name anything that was gone for years and returned as a continuation? There are plenty of examples of reboots, but how often do continuations happen?
                                My original post was referring to a reboot of the franchise, not a continuation. There is a long list of reboots, both TV series and movies that are happening or in the works right now. I find continuations rarely happen because it is usually a new team of producers that are working on the reboot and they reimagine everything in their own way.

Just have to look at the new Alien prequel which is by the same director of the original back in 1979. That is a continuation (of sorts because it is a prequel but will fit with the timeline) because the original team is involved. If it was someone else it would likely have been some sort of sequel or reboot.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X