This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
    SGU ... Is it a good show or ... a fantastic one? Can´t decide?
    I'm going with fantastic!
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Please don't get me started. Atlantis was starting to change a little in it's tone. They were writing more eps that were character focused and writing eps that showed the bonds between these characters. Atlantis still had at least one more season in it, at least. Even BW said SGA went out on a higher point. Anyone who says the show was dying at the end has not payed attention to the ratings.

Atlantis never got the send off I wanted, and was hoping the movie would continue where they left off. So it is kinda upsetting and confusing when a brand new series has fallen below in ratings what the last season of the show it replaced was doing.
      I would respectfully disagree with you on the first part. I take from both what I saw, and from interviews and decisions the show's creators have made to collectively form the opinion they were burnt on these shows. Can you blame them? 15 years of one style and format kills a creative process. We really do not have anything that close to compare. Most shows tend to last how long? And even then most see a drop off in both quality and ratings as the years go on. I think there were many here who recognized that SG1 was dropping in quality through the years, and many who did not want to see the show continue past S8. Sure there were those that simply could not handle the change in cast, much like there are those now that can not handle the change in style. Some fear change in life, so be it. But for someone who is trying to be creative, change is a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
        I would respectfully disagree with you on the first part. I take from both what I saw, and from interviews and decisions the show's creators have made to collectively form the opinion they were burnt on these shows. Can you blame them? 15 years of one style and format kills a creative process. We really do not have anything that close to compare. Most shows tend to last how long? And even then most see a drop off in both quality and ratings as the years go on. I think there were many here who recognized that SG1 was dropping in quality through the years, and many who did not want to see the show continue past S8. Sure there were those that simply could not handle the change in cast, much like there are those now that can not handle the change in style. Some fear change in life, so be it. But for someone who is trying to be creative, change is a necessity.
        Your right change is a necessity if your going to be creative but with a successful franchise such as stargate why would you not want to at least keep some of the elements of that franchise that was so successful for so long in your new incarnation. At least something recognizable. Those successful elements SG1 and SGA were again largely ignored in season 1 to show viewers this is not your father's stargate. To get people who are not into sci fi but more into shows like Friday Night Lights and the Shield or any mainstream drama shows to give the genre and stargate a chance. Was it a smart move?? Time will only tell if it was. I respect the creators for trying something different, I do but maybe it was a bit too much with Universe considering of the large built in fan base of the franchise.

Comment

I would respectfully disagree with you on the first part. I take from both what I saw, and from interviews and decisions the show's creators have made to collectively form the opinion they were burnt on these shows. Can you blame them? 15 years of one style and format kills a creative process.
          I agree with you here SBN, The writers were "burnt out" of Stargate idea's. (except it was really 12 years if you are only considering SG-1/SGA). The questions then become: "why did the writers not hand over the franchise to new writers with a fresh perspective?" and "why if you are burnt out do you commit to a new show in the same canon?"

Originally posted by SBN
          We really do not have anything that close to compare. Most shows tend to last how long? And even then most see a drop off in both quality and ratings as the years go on. I think there were many here who recognized that SG1 was dropping in quality through the years, and many who did not want to see the show continue past S8.
          Actually, you have at least one show to compare it to, Smallville. Both are pretty "niche" in their own way. Was there a dropoff in ratings? Probably. Quality?, I don't think so. (of course this bit is entirely subject to my like of both the writing and the characters)
          Originally posted by SBN
          Sure there were those that simply could not handle the change in cast, much like there are those now that can not handle the change in style. Some fear change in life, so be it. But for someone who is trying to be creative, change is a necessity.
          I agree 100%, 200% with the bolded section.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Derocalypse View Post
            I guess thats the whole point of SGU, characters who are shades of grey. Hero and villain at the same time. The wrong people in the wrong place type thing. Maybe that could be it.
            And see, for me, this is where the problem comes in. I don't see any heroes. There's no one there (so far - Telford and Varo may change that) that I can root for. I need someone I like/admire to keep me interested in a show. SGU, unfortunately, doesn't have that for me. I don't need shoot-em-up action every week, but I do need characters that don't make me actively wish that they would get sucked out of an airlock and off my tv. (I'm looking at *you*, Col. Young.)

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
            SGU ... Is it a good show or ... a fantastic one? Can´t decide?
            For me, it's a mediocre show that could become good. We'll just have to see how this season works out, but they're really going to have to make changes in the way the characters are depicted before my opinion rises.

Comment

wvsandy,

In real life people aren't black and white. Is there no one you admire despite their inherent "greyness"? This is a similar situation. I dislike Rush's coldness and his utilitarianism. However, I like his dedication to discovering all he can about Destiny and it's mission and purpose. I dislike Young's inability to control his emotions and do what needs to be done, but I admire him as a human being who cares deeply about those around him. I root for him to get it under control so that he can protect those he loves.
              Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 03 October 2010, 09:09 AM.
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I think the issue is not about change but about how and how much change.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                  wvsandy,

In real life people aren't black and white. Is there on one you admire despite their inherent "greyness"? This is a similar situation. I dislike Rush's coldness and his utilitarianism. However, I like his dedication to discovering all he can about Destiny and it's mission and purpose. I dislike Young's inability to control his emotions and do what needs to be done, but I admire him as a human being who cares deeply about those around him. I root for him to get it under control so that he can protect those he loves.
                  There have been many characters in many shows and movies that have been gray that I still really like, or if not like, find interesting and compelling. Unfortunately, whether it's through the writing or the directing or the acting, I'm just not feeling that for the characters of this show, at least the main male characters. I don't dislike TJ or James, and there are several of the minor characters I actually like. Eli bugs me only to a point. The rest just aren't admirable to me, and the thought of being in a life-and-death situation with a man like Young in command makes me shudder. He seems completely incapable of making cool, rational decisions in a crisis situation. He screams and lashes out both physically and verbally. I hope (though I doubt very seriously it will happen) that Telford ends up in charge. And as far as Rush's dedication goes, it looks more like obsession to me. I think if he found a way to get everybody home tomorrow, he'd hide it so that he could stay on that ship and ferret out its secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by wvsandy View Post
                    There have been many characters in many shows and movies that have been gray that I still really like, or if not like, find interesting and compelling. Unfortunately, whether it's through the writing or the directing or the acting, I'm just not feeling that for the characters of this show, at least the main male characters. I don't dislike TJ or James, and there are several of the minor characters I actually like. Eli bugs me only to a point. The rest just aren't admirable to me, and the thought of being in a life-and-death situation with a man like Young in command makes me shudder. He seems completely incapable of making cool, rational decisions in a crisis situation. He screams and lashes out both physically and verbally. I hope (though I doubt very seriously it will happen) that Telford ends up in charge. And as far as Rush's dedication goes, it looks more like obsession to me. I think if he found a way to get everybody home tomorrow, he'd hide it so that he could stay on that ship and ferret out its secrets.
                    He is obsessed with Destiny.. it's easy to see that and yeah if they were to go home tomorrow he so wouldn't go! I am interested to find out why he is so obsessed with Destiny.. I have my theory's, but this thread isn't the place to discuss that
                    sigpic

Comment

Rush reminds me a little of Sam Neill's character in the movie "Event Horizon". Not sure if he would turn out that evil/bad though. I think Rush is a 3D character on the show, along with Young. The rest are all 2D to me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        Rush reminds me a little of Sam Neill's character in the movie "Event Horizon". Not sure if he would turn out that evil/bad though. I think Rush is a 3D character on the show, along with Young. The rest are all 2D to me.
                        I like Col. Young, he's actually my favorite character on SGU. I just wish he wasn't so flawed. I mean how flawed does he have to be?? I guess that is the point of SGU. They are not the best of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Derocalypse View Post
                          I like Col. Young, he's actually my favorite character on SGU. I just wish he wasn't so flawed. I mean how flawed does he have to be?? I guess that is the point of SGU. They are not the best of the best.
                          that's it exactly

he, and the other characters, are supposed to be flawed.

we probably don't think about it, or don't like to think about it, but we're all flawed, every last one of us. Now imagine that you've got all us flawed people stuck together in a terrifying situation. That's SGU. I know it's very easy to imagine that we'd all put on our shining heroic faces and Do The Right Thing but if we're really honest with ourselves, quite a few of us wouldn't. At least not all the time. Which would only make those moments when we came through with shining colors all the richer, because it isn't a normal state, it's something we had to strive for. How heroic is it really when you can always count on the hero doing the hero thing? It's like when the scrawny geek kid knocks the ball out of the park - it's notable because it's not something you expect or something the kid does every day. It makes the effort to do the right thing stand out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                            that's it exactly

he, and the other characters, are supposed to be flawed.

we probably don't think about it, or don't like to think about it, but we're all flawed, every last one of us. Now imagine that you've got all us flawed people stuck together in a terrifying situation. That's SGU. I know it's very easy to imagine that we'd all put on our shining heroic faces and Do The Right Thing but if we're really honest with ourselves, quite a few of us wouldn't. At least not all the time. Which would only make those moments when we came through with shining colors all the richer, because it isn't a normal state, it's something we had to strive for. How heroic is it really when you can always count on the hero doing the hero thing? It's like when the scrawny geek kid knocks the ball out of the park - it's notable because it's not something you expect or something the kid does every day. It makes the effort to do the right thing stand out.
                            Damn, I wish I could green you right now!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                              *noms on mental green*
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                                Fear not, I greened her.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X