This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derocalypse View Post
    Again, maybe SGU strayed too far from its stargate roots.
    The whole cliffhanger scenario hasnt helped IMHO. They build things up for cliffhanger endings and then just disregard them out of hand at the start of the next episode. They would have been better off maintaining the SG theme of wrapping everything up in an episode.
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
      I do realize it's their work and not mine, but it doesn't mean I can't have my opinion on what I think would make the show better. And it's good that the creators are going in a new direction.. it would get old very fast if every new show was like the last.. but it doesn't mean they should turn their backs on what made Stargate a success. And I think we are all open to new things.. we are watching the show right? If we weren't open to new things then, like other people, we would have said nope not going to watch this it sucks not like the other Stargates, but we are giving the show a chance we are just putting our opinions out there on how we think the show could be better.
      Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

Guys, has it occurred to you that there may be a reason SG-1 and SGA are no longer on the air? Perhaps the writers felt they'd taken those stories as far as they could go? That they wanted to move on to something, in the same universe, but with a very different feel, you know, like SGU.
        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

SG1 actually went on longer than they intended (at least that's what I've read), but Atlantis' ending was sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
            Guys, has it occurred to you that there may be a reason SG-1 and SGA are no longer on the air? Perhaps the writers felt they'd taken those stories as far as they could go? That they wanted to move on to something, in the same universe, but with a very different feel, you know, like SGU.
            Please don't get me started. Atlantis was starting to change a little in it's tone. They were writing more eps that were character focused and writing eps that showed the bonds between these characters. Atlantis still had at least one more season in it, at least. Even BW said SGA went out on a higher point. Anyone who says the show was dying at the end has not payed attention to the ratings.

Atlantis never got the send off I wanted, and was hoping the movie would continue where they left off. So it is kinda upsetting and confusing when a brand new series has fallen below in ratings what the last season of the show it replaced was doing.
            sigpic

Comment

I think the problem is that the writers are trying to make SGU too much like Lost and BSG. And they forgot what has made Stargate successful all these years. Yes BSG and Lost were both successful shows and very good shows.. But they are their own shows and because it worked for them doesn't necessarily mean it will work for Stargate. The story line in SGU is a good one, but they need to get back to the Stargate roots,they obviously were doing something right since SG-1 lasted for 10 years and 5 for SGA (which could have gone longer) I don't see why they wanted to mess with a good thing. I do love SGU it's a decent show, but I do miss the things that drew me into Stargate in the first place and that was what most of you have said the action, and adventure and humor.

Edit: Which I don't have much to complain about the humor. Eli brings a lot of it.
              I think this argument has been made before, but I want to make it again. We fans -- just look at Season One - Five forums for Atlantis if you don't believe me -- complained all day long how SGA just repeated SG1's story lines. That happened, simply, because SGA was SG-1 Ver. 2.0. Similar to how (in my opinion) ST: Voyager was STG's Ver. 2.0 (not a better version of Generations though). SGU allowed for new stories, and it really has created a lot of new stories and possibilities. Time, while still very Stargate, was a defining episode for SGU (and there should be more "Time" episodes pushing the limits of the Stargate and the characters). I loved how we learned so much about the characters without the characters realizing what they told us.

With that said, as I will say further down in this post, SGU is filled with mistakes. And it might end the show.

I think the drama and slow build in season 1 was a bit too much and a mistake. It just took too long to get things rolling. SGU should never have completely shy away from its heritage. The emphasis on character drama was just way too much. Not enough action and adventure to satisfy IMHO.
              I agree it was a mistake. I know what they are trying to do, build a strong foundation for some awesome story telling. But Americans need explosions and guts spilling out. Give us more TIME!

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Please don't get me started. Atlantis was starting to change a little in it's tone. They were writing more eps that were character focused and writing eps that showed the bonds between these characters. Atlantis still had at least one more season in it, at least. Even BW said SGA went out on a higher point. Anyone who says the show was dying at the end has not payed attention to the ratings.

Atlantis never got the send off I wanted, and was hoping the movie would continue where they left off. So it is kinda upsetting and confusing when a brand new series has fallen below in ratings what the last season of the show it replaced was doing.
                Exactly. I agree. SGU was suppose to reinvent the franchise for a new audience. To be not as niche as SG1 and SGA.

Comment

@Blistna

I did not mind the similar eps that SG-1 had already produced. I loved it how it was applied to the characters of SGA. That to me is what made SG-1 and SGA so different, the characters. I found both the SG-1 and SGA characters very lovable. SGU, I am liking them but no one to really root for, I dunno. No one to look up to I guess. I dunno, cannot put my finger on it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                    I think this argument has been made before, but I want to make it again. We fans -- just look at Season One - Five forums for Atlantis if you don't believe me -- complained all day long how SGA just repeated SG1's story lines. That happened, simply, because SGA was SG-1 Ver. 2.0. Similar to how (in my opinion) ST: Voyager was STG's Ver. 2.0 (not a better version of Generations though). SGU allowed for new stories, and it really has created a lot of new stories and possibilities. Time, while still very Stargate, was a defining episode for SGU (and there should be more "Time" episodes pushing the limits of the Stargate and the characters). I loved how we learned so much about the characters without the characters realizing what they told us.
                    um excuse me, but when in that post did I say I wanted SGU exactly like SG-1 or SGA? I just said I wanted elements of what made the show successful. Hence "roots" and yes SG-1 and SGA seemed a lot alike because they pretty much reused story lines from SG-1 in SGA, but for me they were two completely different shows. Besides there have been episodes of SGU that when I watch I think oh they did that in SG-1 or SGA. I said the story line of SGU is good and-I add- has potential. The fact of the matter is -and I have said this I don't know how many times- SGU needs more of what SG-1 and SGA had a lot of and that is action/exploration. Action/Exploration is the roots of SG-1 and SGA and something SGU is seriously lacking. If the writers can be creative and try not to use story lines that have been used in SG-1 and SGA, but give SGU the action and exploration it's desperately in of then I can see SGU being a beyond great show!
                    sigpic

Comment

@Blistna

I did not mind the similar eps that SG-1 had already produced. I loved it how it was applied to the characters of SGA. That to me is what made SG-1 and SGA so different, the characters. I found both the SG-1 and SGA characters very lovable. SGU, I am liking them but no one to really root for, I dunno. No one to look up to I guess. I dunno, cannot put my finger on it.
                      I guess thats the whole point of SGU, characters who are shades of grey. Hero and villain at the same time. The wrong people in the wrong place type thing. Maybe that could be it.

Comment

@Blistna

I didn't mind nor did I ever notice the similar episodes, I just remember reading a lot of fans here complaining about it. I don't know if you did!

um excuse me, but when in that post did I say I wanted SGU exactly like SG-1 or SGA?
                        I never said you said that. I was merely telling you the way I see it. They wanted to create a whole new situation to force them to do new story lines. To create something different, not SG-1 3.0. I didn't mean to make it sound like you wanted SG-1 3.0. Sorry about that! And even though I liked Season One of SGU, I also admit they should have put more action in the first half of the season. I think it being so slow is one reason people don't watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post

With that said, as I will say further down in this post, SGU is filled with mistakes. And it might end the show.

I agree it was a mistake. I know what they are trying to do, build a strong foundation for some awesome story telling. But Americans need explosions and guts spilling out. Give us more TIME!
                          Time was really good. There should of been more episodes like that or like Space in season 1.

Comment

SGU ... Is it a good show or ... a fantastic one? Can´t decide?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
                              SGU ... Is it a good show or ... a fantastic one? Can´t decide?
                              Maybe a little of both mixed in.

Comment

Time was really good. There should of been more episodes like that or like Space in season 1.
                                SPACE was an amazing episode. Basically, Season One needed more action. I understand the slow set up, but it wasn't smart. I hope SGU goes for Season Three!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X