This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
    Because as I said, different environments; internally on Skiffy and externally on TV as a whole. Not to mention different world climate affects decisions TV networks will make.

Each show has a different expectation, different lee-ways and different notes to hit.

Each show is different (even when part of the same franchise).

So many things change within 2 years in any business environment. A decision you would have made 6 months ago isn't necessarily the decision you'll make today.
    Instead of citing non-specific business environment changes why not be specific and we can try and account for them, at the end of the day all shows are affected by these changes so its not hard to judge SGU's performance relative to other shows and from that we judge what the likely decision will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      last time i read that it was attributed to Joe M saying it on his blog.
      December 6, 2010: Travel Day!
      December 6, 2010 by josephmallozzi
      Source: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...10-travel-day/

If I were to translate that line, I would consider the factor that it was made on December 6, 2010. When a new year is on the horizon, people generally try to keep optimistic about the future.

Other words, "Okay, I’m just going to enjoy myself. Next year, everything changes!" means "I'm going to think differently and more optimistically about how I do things. Even though I might have had a rough ride in 2010, I will overcome my obstacles by making some serious changes."

Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        as to SGA, yes, the show was NOT canceled. Bridge chose to end it. And, as far as I understand it, it had less to do with ratings than simply a creative decision. The writers were done with the show and story and chose to end it and start something new.
        You may be right but the problem is that JM on his blog keep saying Wright and Cooper were surprised and disappointed about the end of SGA and they would have wanted to keep going.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate View Post
          The important thing to keep in mind is that Syfy didn't cancel the show, someone on the MGM side did.
          You're wrong and it doesn't even make sense unless you're saying that every show on Television are technically ending when the production don't have enough money to keep going due TV network cancellation. If Syfy, or any other network, were ready to pay for the product offered by MGM you can be sure it would still be on the air.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
            You're wrong and it doesn't even make sense unless you're saying that every show on Television are technically ending when the production don't have enough money to keep going due TV network cancellation. If Syfy, or any other network, were ready to pay for the product offered by MGM you can be sure it would still be on the air.
            Huh? I have no idea what you are trying to say. Could you please clarify? Are you saying that MGM couldn't make the decision to only produce 1 SG show at a time and choose SGU over SGA?
            The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate View Post
              Huh? I have no idea what you are trying to say.
              I'm just trying to understand where you got your information. Usually network cancel show, then the production house end the production (maybe after trying to shopping it around). Where did you get your information that Syfy didn't cancel SGA first? Which can happens but is really unusual.

What you must understand is that there's always communication between tv network and production house. Renewal decision are also negotiations (about the price, type of products, changes, stability, etc).

Comment

If you people want to know about "Stargate: Universe's" fate on Twitter, you can always follow MGM Studios directly: http://twitter.com/mgm_studios

Get your information at the source. Some of the people involved with the show also have bogs. Unless you read something on their blogs or Twitter, I would consider any other source as rumor.

Relax folks. We might not hear anything until January. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                  If SGU is renewed it's clear evidence that decision making on a show isn't all about the numbers (not that it ever was).
                  I disagree, its only about the numbers - it would just mean there are some numbers we don't know about.

Comment

I agree with you all who say that it wasn't the ratings that was behind the cancellation of SGA. However, (this is a big however), the Powers that Be at Bridge Brad Wright, Joe M, and gang have MANY MANY MANY times publicly stated that if SGA had higher ratings it would still be on the air. Syfy has stood by the statement that they would have loved another season of SGA. If that's the case, then SGU might be in luck after all.

We should look at the facts:

Brad told me on Joe M's blog that if SGA had at least 2.6 million viewers that the show would not have been canceled. He said to continue they needed millions more in viewers.

So, if Brad Wright wasn't lying to me, and SGA needed more than 2.5 million viewers for a season 6, then I really do not see SGU getting renewed for season 3 with ratings dipping below one million.

Joe M repeatedly stated that SGA needed higher ratings as well.

So, if they are both telling the truth, and we're wrong, then SGU has a snowball's chance in the underworld of getting renewed.

The only hope that SGU fans have is if Brad and Co lied to the fans about the SGA cancellation.

We may suspect that they canceled to move on to SGU, but we have no evidence. Everyone has played the blame game and no one was man enough to say I canceled the show because of X, Y, and Z. Some people might be cool with being lied to, but I value honesty. I addressed Mr. Wright with the utmost respect. His response hurt with the sorry, we need millions, not thousands, but I accepted it and moved on with the knowledge that SGA just didn't have enough viewers.

If it was a creative decision, then he should have said

I apologize, but we feel that SGA has run it's course. The story has been told, and while I understand that some of you may disagree, we have made the creative decision to move on.
                    Seriously, that isn't so hard.

I really don't think the dismal ratings justify a third season of SGU whether Brad lied or not. I just don't see it happening, and I predict season 3's ratings will be lower than the ratings for season 2.0. We will all find out soon I guess.
                    sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                      You may be right but the problem is that JM on his blog keep saying Wright and Cooper were surprised and disappointed about the end of SGA and they would have wanted to keep going.
                      yeah, and i think skiffy also is surprised that the show ended because it wasn't their fault.....basically there's not a single potentially responsible party that hasn't spin doctored it to blame someone else.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
                        Sorry to contradict you - but if the writers had been done with the show, they wouldn't have found out about its cancellation while preparing to write ep 520. If it really were a creative decision, the writers would have found out much sooner and they would have been allowed to actually, you know, end the series properly - like Smallville or Lost were - not scramble and run around like a chicken with its head chopped off to finish the show somehow in a 40 min. ep.
                        Of course, you also have to understand that creative choices of BW and company do have to be approved by MGM and Skiffy as well. BW may have wanted to end the show, but he still needed approval. Until he got it, they had to act as if the show were continuing.

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                        Instead of citing non-specific business environment changes why not be specific and we can try and account for them, at the end of the day all shows are affected by these changes so its not hard to judge SGU's performance relative to other shows and from that we judge what the likely decision will be.
                        My point was, which you may have missed - the reasons why SGA was canceled or ended will have no baring on the decision for SGU. As much as people want to connect those dots, it just doesn't work.

Originally posted by JohnDuh View Post
                        I disagree, its only about the numbers - it would just mean there are some numbers we don't know about.
                        You can disagree, but ratings aren't the be all and end all of a television show continuing. We, the fans, often latch on to them as a lynch pin simply because that is the majority of the information we have on hand. It does not mean execs just look at the average numbers (or even the brak downs) and make the decision solely for that reason.
                        Last edited by Deevil; 12 December 2010, 04:38 PM.
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

My point was, which you may have missed - the reasons why SGA was canceled or ended will have no baring on the decision for SGU. As much as people want to connect those dots, it just doesn't work
                          very much so. it's two separate shows and sgu's future doesn't depend upon sga's past any more than NCIS's future depended on Lost's ending.

skiffy doesn't care about history, they just wanna know if the show can make them more money than the spend to air it. if it can, it stands a chance, if it can't then they won't keep it
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                            I agree with you all who say that it wasn't the ratings that was behind the cancellation of SGA. However, (this is a big however), the Powers that Be at Bridge Brad Wright, Joe M, and gang have MANY MANY MANY times publicly stated that if SGA had higher ratings it would still be on the air. Syfy has stood by the statement that they would have loved another season of SGA. If that's the case, then SGU might be in luck after all.

We should look at the facts:

Brad told me on Joe M's blog that if SGA had at least 2.6 million viewers that the show would not have been canceled. He said to continue they needed millions more in viewers.

So, if Brad Wright wasn't lying to me, and SGA needed more than 2.5 million viewers for a season 6, then I really do not see SGU getting renewed for season 3 with ratings dipping below one million.

Joe M repeatedly stated that SGA needed higher ratings as well.

So, if they are both telling the truth, and we're wrong, then SGU has a snowball's chance in the underworld of getting renewed.

The only hope that SGU fans have is if Brad and Co lied to the fans about the SGA cancellation.

We may suspect that they canceled to move on to SGU, but we have no evidence. Everyone has played the blame game and no one was man enough to say I canceled the show because of X, Y, and Z. Some people might be cool with being lied to, but I value honesty. I addressed Mr. Wright with the utmost respect. His response hurt with the sorry, we need millions, not thousands, but I accepted it and moved on with the knowledge that SGA just didn't have enough viewers.

If it was a creative decision, then he should have said

Seriously, that isn't so hard.

I really don't think the dismal ratings justify a third season of SGU whether Brad lied or not. I just don't see it happening, and I predict season 3's ratings will be lower than the ratings for season 2.0. We will all find out soon I guess.
                            Agreed with everything you said.

Comment

Actually... You were showing him the petition when he said millions, or a million more... The petition only had a couple dozen thousand signs.....

And how can a comment made almost 2 years ago, which he might have assumed without asking the network/studio, be 100% valid and truthful today.
                              sigpic

Comment

Anyone tracking the ratings on the SGU reruns they're airing? Would those ratings even matter in the big picture?

Comment

Working...
                                X