This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
    Yes, and once again - I and others are presenting potential reasons as to why SGU's ratings and sales are what they are. To continually call it an 'excuse' is a way of dismissing those variables in favour of what you believe is the case.

After all - I have noticed people who think everything relates back to the quality of the show don't suggest they are making 'excuses'. If suggesting variables are excuses, so is the above.
    Which is why the 'reason' i gave for SGU being low in ratings was that people just aren't watching, inconsequential to any variables.Anything beyond that IS an excuse because it's justifying it instead of explaining it.

Inconsequential to quality, timeslot, time of year, whatever, people just aren't watching SGU as much as they are other shows which ave been mentioned here. Since we have no solid information sa you so often mention, anything beyond 'people just aren't watching live" is an excuse because we don't know, a reason is a fact, not speculation.
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
      Which is why the 'reason' i gave for SGU being low in ratings was that people just aren't watching.
      Strange how your reasons have also in the past been that it's just not good.

anything beyond 'people just aren't watching live" is an excuse because we don't know, a reason is a fact, not speculation.
      Reason is not always 'fact', it can be logical justification, deduction and speculation.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Strange how your reasons have also in the past been that it's just not good.
        That was me speaking subjectively. I'm trying to be objective and in the end, it's difficult

Reason is not 'fact', it can be logical justification, deduction and speculation.
        Reason implies that it is 'correct' and hence, truth.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it could still be a goose. That's why speculation can't be a valid reason.

Whatever, this is getting offtopic. i need to pick me up Eureka and W13 on DVD Too bad i don't actually get syfy and typically have to wait for the DVDs
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
          Reason implies that it is 'correct' and hence, truth.
          Truth is also not 'fact'. Reason is not 'truth'

Look at all the different meanings of the word 'reason', and show me where it has to be fact? (I don't do the definition thing, but I feel that this called for it.)

Spoiler:
          1.a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.: the reason for declaring war.
          2.a statement presented in justification or explanation of a belief or action.
          3.the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences.
          4.sound judgment; good sense.
          5.normal or sound powers of mind; sanity.
          6.Logic . a premise of an argument.
          7.Philosophy .
          a.the faculty or power of acquiring intellectual knowledge, either by direct understanding of first principles or by argument.
          b.the power of intelligent and dispassionate thought, or of conduct influenced by such thought.
          c.Kantianism . the faculty by which the ideas of pure reason are created.
          –verb (used without object)
          8.to think or argue in a logical manner.
          9.to form conclusions, judgments, or inferences from facts or premises.
          10.to urge reasons which should determine belief or action.
          –verb (used with object)
          11.to think through logically, as a problem (often fol. by out ).
          12.to conclude or infer.
          13.to convince, persuade, etc., by reasoning.
          14.to support with reasons.
          —Idioms
          15.bring (someone) to reason, to induce a change of opinion in (someone) through presentation of arguments; convince: The mother tried to bring her rebellious daughter to reason.
          16.by reason of, on account of; because of: He was consulted about the problem by reason of his long experience.
          17.in / withinreason, in accord with reason; justifiable; proper: She tried to keep her demands in reason.
          18.stand to reason, to be clear, obvious, or logical: With such an upbringing it stands to reason that the child will be spoiled.
          19.with reason, with justification; properly: The government is concerned about the latest crisis, and with reason.

Now one thing I agree with, this is off topic. I'm just sick of the 'excuse' dismissal.
          Last edited by Deevil; 25 August 2010, 05:45 AM.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

It might be more accurate to say that according to a significent amount of human beings located on the planet earth it isn't considered good enough to watch.

Alien standards might be completely different to ours - we just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
              It might be more accurate to say that according to a significent amount of human beings located on the planet earth it isn't considered good enough to watch.
              LMAO if we're going by that logic, no television show in history has/is making the ratings!

Comment

LMAO if we're going by that logic, no television show in history has/is making the ratings!
                Indeed and SGU's ratings are below most of those shows! lol

Comment

Indeed and SGU's ratings are below most of those shows! lol
                  Nah, there are shows that have been way worse the SGU. It wouldn't even rank in the bottom 10,000

Comment

Nah, there are shows that have been way worse the SGU. It wouldn't even rank in the bottom 10,000
                    True, but if we factored in rating per cost I suspect it would rank pretty low.

Comment

True, but if we factored in rating per cost I suspect it would rank pretty low.
                      I doubt it would rate in the bottom 10,000 even if you did that.

Comment

I doubt it would rate in the bottom 10,000 even if you did that.
                        If not now it will in the future, typically television shows bleed viewers the longer they go on, if SGU follows suit then I think we'd have a hard time coming up with shows that had significent budgets that rated lower than SGU's projected ratings should they decrease.

Comment

If not now it will in the future, typically television shows bleed viewers the longer they go on, if SGU follows suit then I think we'd have a hard time coming up with shows that had significent budgets that rated lower than SGU's projected ratings should they decrease.
                          There are a lot of television shows out there in the big wide world, a lot with greater budgets then SGU that rate significantly less. Mind you it's hard to measure price/ratings in this situation so our numbers are always going to be farcical.

Comment

Alien standards might be completely different to ours - we just don't know.
                            You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sami_ again.
                            green green and green again if I could! you hit the nail on the head....
                            All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
                              hehe ty

I just don't get why people always want to trot out the "you may not like it but others do" argument, we have neither the time or the means to get every single persons perspective on the show so why not discuss issues like quality based on ratings and popularity.

If SGU had set out intending to appeal only to the relative small number of people who watch it today then we could say it was a success and accomplished what it set out to do but the reality is that they set out to create a show that appeals to a wider audience than its predecessors and in that goal it has failed miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
                                He hit a nail over the head, but he far from hit the nail on the head. None of us have because there are a multitude of variables that affect any situation such as this. Ask anyone in distribution of films or television.

Comment

Working...
                                X