Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is better technology? Atlantis or Destiny?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
    Our own sun has a power output of 383 yottawatts (3.83×1026th Watts). A zpm doing anything other than exploding can't sniff that sort of power. The output of our sun for a single second is on par with a zpm (depending on whose estimate is used). The destiny "recharge" is probably something like a 100th of a zpm worth of juice.
    So... yes

By your estimate, Atlantis is 300 times more powerful than the Destiny. I, of course, recognize that this figure is simply an educated guess and strictly based on energy capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
      So... yes

By your estimate, Atlantis is 300 times more powerful than the Destiny. I, of course, recognize that this figure is simply an educated guess and strictly based on energy capacity.
      The energy reserve of atlantis would be 300 times greater. To say the destiny couldn't match the power output (energy release per unit time) would be a completely different matter altogether. For the record I'd rather have a single zpm with the solar recharge on a seperate system than 3 zpms.

Comment

again, the whole " flies through a sun while on RESERVE power" kind of makes atlantis' shields look like a complete joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
          There is absolutely no point in including something like that: Atlantis is a city first and a ship a very distant second. The Destiny's method of replenishing its reserves is very useful for something that is constantly on the move, but effectively useless for a city like Atlantis - unless you want to take off, fly into a star, and then land again each time the energy reserves gets low.
          Though not the most sensible people at times, the Ancients might have had contingency plans in cases of severe power depletion, like solar power capability. We also don't know how long ago ZPMs were first created. Atlantis might have had another power source that was supplemented by solar power when/if necessary. The main power systems might have been upgraded but the backups left in place. Pure speculation, obviously.
          For the record I'd rather have a single zpm with the solar recharge on a seperate system than 3 zpms.
          Agreed. Run the ship on solar power and only use the ZPM when necessary. Of course, that does depend on how much energy the ship can store from a star. A puddlejumper can use a ZPM but its power requirements usually are far less.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The energy reserve of atlantis would be 300 times greater. To say the destiny couldn't match the power output (energy release per unit time) would be a completely different matter altogether. For the record I'd rather have a single zpm with the solar recharge on a seperate system than 3 zpms.
            I know. I said "energy capacity." There is no evidence to support which object (Atlantis or Destiny) has the greater power output. The only way I can think to come up with that evidence is by seeing when Destiny needs to "tank up" again. Atlantis has burned through at least one (that I can remember) maybe two, ZPMs in 5 years. If Destiny has to tank up a lot (300 to 600 times) in 5 year's time, then it would be apparent that they have similar power outputs. If it's established that they have to tank up frequently, then this would be the case. This, of course, would be an average power output not a peak. I suspect Atlantis already has peak power output given how it has so rapidly drained ZPMs in the past (establishment of inter-dimensional bridge and take-off and landing of city being powered by only one ZPM). Unless it is established that Destiny can drain its total supply in a VERY short time.

As to your final point, I think the solar recharge is perfectly suited to Destiny's purpose while the ZPM's are perfectly suited to Atlantis's purpose. Destiny was designed to operate independently until the end of time (exaggeration, I know). Atlantis was designed to be a crowning achievement and capital city of a civilization. Cities are powered by fuel supplied by a civilization's infrastructure (nuclear, coal, gas). My point is, based on what each is designed to do, there method of power supply is suitable.

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
            again, the whole " flies through a sun while on RESERVE power" kind of makes atlantis' shields look like a complete joke.
            I would disagree. Atlantis's shields were capable of protecting an entire planet from a CME. They also held off an alien armada for several months/years.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
              Though not the most sensible people at times, the Ancients might have had contingency plans in cases of severe power depletion, like solar power capability. We also don't know how long ago ZPMs were first created. Atlantis might have had another power source that was supplemented by solar power when/if necessary. The main power systems might have been upgraded but the backups left in place. Pure speculation, obviously.
              I never understood why Atlantis didn't use some sort of cold fusion as a backup power source. It sits on an ocean, how hard would it be to collect deuterium from that ocean and use it to generate power for the city.
              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
              "That he is concealing something."
              "Like what?"
              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                I never understood why Atlantis didn't use some sort of cold fusion as a backup power source. It sits on an ocean, how hard would it be to collect deuterium from that ocean and use it to generate power for the city.
                Most likely because cold fusion is unfeasible regardless of the level of technology used. Getting protons close enough together to enable some sort of controllable reaction at temperatures around 1000F is not possible.

Comment

cold fusion is possible.

recently there were expertiment with a certain kind of crystal. if the ends of the crystal have a temperature difference, it internally generates an electric field. they tossed in some deuterium and tritium, dipped one end into a liquid nitrogen canister. fusion was the result. though it still cost more energy than the gain. however, find a way to constantly keep one end cold and the other end warm without expending energy and you purely gain energy.

the total output of the sun is massive. let's not forget that that MASSIVE output is divided over a surface several trillion times the earth's surface. the amount of energy actually hitting Destiny is laughable compared to the total energy. also, ZPM's have energy of some 10^35 joules. a ZPM is always better, except on the very longest terms.

Atlantis is better and more advanced. however Destiny is more accesible

Comment

That why I suggested using deuterium instead of normal protons. In the Proton-Proton fusion the most difficult stage is first stage of overcoming the electrostatic repulsion between two hydrogen nuclei, this requires the huge temperatures and pressures at the core of the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton%...e_pep_reaction

The rest of the stages can happen at lower temperatures so by starting at stage two, fusion should be possible without replicating the temperatures and pressure present at the core of the sun (at least that’s how I understand it.

Besides we don’t actually know how Destiny is powered, yes it uses “solar power”, but does it

A) Harvest plasma from within the stars Photosphere for use in fusion reactions (as described in the link above).

B) Use the energy from within the star to charge up giant capacitors and essentially run of battery power during its journey.
                    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                    "That he is concealing something."
                    "Like what?"
                    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Atlantis.
                      Though steam-punk beats cheap plastic walls any time.

Comment

Working...
                      X