Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is better technology? Atlantis or Destiny?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. Another reason why Universe haters should think twice. The old Stargate shows, as much as we all loved them, were full of nonsense like this: just to keep the plot going, credibility was stretched far beyond reasonable levels.
    Well the Destiny crew has also been fairly lucky. I mean you could say that the ship stopping at the desert and the ice planet is due to it's programming, but then when the illness was about to his, they were lucky enough to find the venomous animals, and have a solar flair/time plot to have the extra time to solve the problem without losing anyone. Of course the series isn't as cornily lucky...but...it still has those aspects...

Comment

The ship is intelligent, I tell you!
      I've been arguing that, natyanayaki. 'Air' pt 3 was acceptable coincidence but 'Time' was simply far too... coincidental to be unintentional. There was a greater intelligence at work, one that has access to information about upcoming planets and systems and, it seems, crew bioscans.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Destiny all the way!
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          And the Ancients were defeated because they were too smart to fight dirty.
          Evil Nanites, Exploding Hives, hell... exploding PEOPLE.

That's not fighting dirty?!
          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            The ship is intelligent, I tell you!
            I've been arguing that, natyanayaki. 'Air' pt 3 was acceptable coincidence but 'Time' was simply far too... coincidental to be unintentional. There was a greater intelligence at work, one that has access to information about upcoming planets and systems and, it seems, crew bioscans.
            No No No No. Just no. No. NOOOOOOO.

So...

1. Ship detects water-borne badness in the crew.
            2. Ship scans everything it knows for a cure.
            3. Ship doesn't mention anything whatsoever about NastyScreechyVenomThings or Solar Flare but...
            4. Relies on the extremely unpredictable nature of the flares to effect the loop.
            5. Assumes some people will survive long enough to send a message back.
            6. Assumes people will figure it out in time anyway.

So that's what happened?

If Destiny were that smart, and did identify the creatures as a cure (I don't even accept Destiny knows the crew got sick anyway), then why the hell didn't the ship inform the crew about the creatures?

Comment

Anyyyyyway...

Destiny is good at being an automated deep-space probeshipthing.

Atlantis is good at being a massive Winnebago with decent defensive capabilities.

Horses for courses...

The Eurofighter is both agile and sophisticated, but is still difficult to compare to the F/A-22 Raptor. They are different kinds of airplanes to start with; it's like asking us to compare a NASCAR car with a Formula One car. They are both exciting in different ways, but they are designed for different levels of performance." - Link .. capiche?

Personally I prefer Destiny as an object of wonder. It just looks great and seems possessed of a sheer bloody-mindedness with many secrets yet untold* - so I guess we have to say Destiny is a "she" then

* wereas with SGA, I got bored of all these miraculous devices appearing during the latest "search of the old submerged under level sub section outer hidden pier landing section"

Comment

i think that in battle, Destiny does not even have a fair chance of winning. even when in pristine condition.

Atlantis is FAR more advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  i think that in battle, Destiny does not even have a fair chance of winning. even when in pristine condition.

Atlantis is FAR more advanced.
                  We haven't seen Destiny engage an enemy yet. Destiny CWIS seems adequate and might very well intercept incoming drones. The big cannons they sport could be significantly more powerful than hive blasts or on the low side similar to tollan ion cannons. A ship wandering space for a million years (without repairs) surviving thousands of space battles is very impressive. I would imagine the Destiny has wasted thousands of capital ships over the years. Think about it, the Destiny must have the capability to stand toe to toe with fleets of capital ships because once folks know about it they will try and capture it. Repeat a thousand times over and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

What if Destiny doesn't have an automated AI onboard, but actually an Ascended being?

Comment

morrismike, that's 100% speculation

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        It's a fact that Atlantis has more advanced technology because Destiny predates Atlantis. Atlantis was the newest and most updated technology before the Ancients ascended.
                        I agree so my vote is for Atlantis.
                        sigpic

Comment

Omygawd, Atlantis, hands-down. They've got lightbulbs! Cool force field dome that will keep gigantic alien pigeon droppings from destroying the balconies...

But seriously, what neat-o keen technology does Destiny have? Hovering bowling balls? That's about it. It's FTL technology seems no different than hyperdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
                            By better, I mean in its overall usefulness. What seems as a more elegant solution for the functions the constructs need to perform? (Okay, one is a ship, one a flying city, but anyway.)

Personally, to me the Destiny seems much more cleverly built. With all the technology available when Atlantis was built and the same resourcefulness used in the construction of Destiny, Atlantis could have some more elegant solutions than it has.
                            for durability, destiny has the win hands down. Atlantis has newer technology, but you know what happens with new technology, it is that much harder to fix it.

But seriously, what neat-o keen technology does Destiny have? Hovering bowling balls? That's about it. It's FTL technology seems no different than hyperdrive.
                            lets not forget the shields that let them DIVE INTO A FRACKING STAR

Comment

Actually, Atlantis wins this one. Let's not forget, the Expedition has tried to use Atlantis for something it was not meant for. Atlantis serves two purposes- large-scale transport and defensive city. It is not a traditional warship. Destiny, however, is supposedly a long-term exploration vessel which, despite its durability, has many worn out metals. Considering the fact that Wraith and Lantean vessels have both survived for several thousand years, the materials that comprise the Destiny are rather primitive. Why isn't the Destiny comprised of naquadah, for example? Now, one could ask why Atlantis isn't made from naquadah, but let's face it, the city is more capable of filling its role than the Destiny is.
                              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                                lets not forget the shields that let them DIVE INTO A FRACKING STAR
                                Yeah. That's something even an Orion-class battleship may have problems with, and Destiny does it without a ZPM, on reserve power, regularly since who knows when.

Comment

Working...
                                X