Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the SGC is the main base of operations. as it has shown, the people there are capable enough on their own. the IOA provides the framework in which they can work, but SG1 has proven that rules are not always the best thing to follow.

again proven by woolsey.

the SGC is the main area of command, but has no control over the IOA. but since the IOA does not really want responsibility, they leave the main command to the SGC

Comment

Well, it's not about being allowed to exist. They exist to push through the desires of the establishment (several governments in this case). They're the extended arm of the world's top politicians, given authority and autonomy enough to be able to pursue their own personal gain behind the governments' backs. So, basically, they're a corrupt civilian authority. The only alarming thing is how fast they went corrupt and that no one noticed they're no good, they aren't helping the stargate programme much and that the individuals involved are for the most part just trying to get into positions of power. I don't think they can be disbanded, they are needed politically, but by this time someone could have looked into their actions and put some leash on them, so they would actually be useful.

It was apparent in Atlantis that as soon as Woolsey stopped being a pain in the rear and actually got around to doing something constructive as head of the Atlantis expedition, his former colleagues ostracized him and started throwing obstacles in his way.
      Last edited by Michael Jansky; 04 January 2010, 02:57 PM. Reason: minor

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
        Well, it's not about being allowed to exist. They exist to push through the desires of the establishment (several governments in this case). They're the extended arm of the world's top politicians, given authority and autonomy enough to be able to pursue their own personal gain behind the governments' backs. So, basically, they're a corrupt civilian authority. The only alarming thing is how fast they went corrupt and that no one noticed they're no good, they aren't helping the stargate programme much and that the individuals involved are for the most part just trying to get into positions of power. I don't think they can be disbanded, they are needed politically, but by this time someone could have looked into their actions and put some leash on them, so they would actually be useful.

It was apparent in Atlantis that as soon as Woolsey stopped being a pain in the rear and actually got around to doing something constructive as head of the Atlantis expedition, his former colleagues ostracized him and started throwing obstacles in his way.
        I think IOA is another name for United Nations...corrupt civilian authority that is only interested in it's own power..... this is the problem with bureaucrats...they are only invested in "keeping their job"...not "getting a job done!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
          I think IOA is another name for United Nations...corrupt civilian authority that is only interested in it's own power..... this is the problem with bureaucrats...they are only invested in "keeping their job"...not "getting a job done!"
          Show me that the IOA is corrupt.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            Show me that the IOA is corrupt.
            Or the United Nations, for that matter. Especially considering it has no tangible authority, I fail to see how it can b corrupted by its power, but okay.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Or the United Nations, for that matter. Especially considering it has no tangible authority, I fail to see how it can b corrupted by its power, but okay.
              If power corrupts then the UN has to be one of the most honest institutions on the face of the earth seeing as it has bugger all influence on international politics and is regularly ignored by all and sundry.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                If power corrupts then the UN has to be one of the most honest institutions on the face of the earth seeing as it has bugger all influence on international politics and is regularly ignored by all and sundry.
                It's the money... ever hear about the scandals attached to the "oil for Food" program or was that before your time? N ot to mention the problems with pedophiiacs and the hunger abatement programs in africa? the UN is not an organization full of nice people...who can forget Waldheim???(Former UN secretary General Kurt Waldheim... also a former SS officer....)

as to the IOA, they have shown they are interested in gaining (and keeping ) power since their first inception...

Comment

It's the money... ever hear about the scandals attached to the "oil for Food" program or was that before your time? N ot to mention the problems with pedophiiacs and the hunger abatement programs in africa? the UN is not an organization full of nice people...who can forget Waldheim???(Former UN secretary General Kurt Waldheim... also a former SS officer....)

as to the IOA, they have shown they are interested in gaining (and keeping ) power since their first inception...
                  You're coming across as just a little paranoid about the UN...

Comment

Why shouldn't the IOA want to improve it's standing. It IS going to take the USAF time to realise who's in control now.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This is slowly turning into a politics thread

Tst

Comment

I like politics though.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's only starting to be a politics thread?
                          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

you guys have totally left the topic of the thread.

Comment

Clearly, you have no idea what a bureaucrat's job actually is. Most of the government workers I know work damned long hours and very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                                Clearly, you have no idea what a bureaucrat's job actually is. Most of the government workers I know work damned long hours and very hard.
                                Never let the truth get in the way of a healthy dose of paranoia.
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X