This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by segaxgames View Post
    Um... I hate to burst your bubble, but I've been to China, all over China actually, and 1) there are a LOT of gay people because of the 1 baby rule, and 2) China IS NOT anti gay.
    Being gay myself, and wanting to go into a career in accountancy, this thread has made my morning, lol!!!

But seriously, I'm not sure how the 1 baby rule turns people gay? Hmmmm

Looking forward to seeing some sterling acting from Ming-Na. Less than two months to go!!
    Geek but without the eye for detail. I just get carried away with the fantasy of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by SanctuaryHorizon View Post
      Being gay myself, and wanting to go into a career in accountancy, this thread has made my morning, lol!!!

But seriously, I'm not sure how the 1 baby rule turns people gay? Hmmmm

Looking forward to seeing some sterling acting from Ming-Na. Less than two months to go!!
      It doesn't/can't he's talking rubbish.

Comment

I read somewhere that some Chinese families prefer baby boys, and since they can only have one child, they abandon/kill newborn girls. Apparently, this is creating a gender imbalance within the Chinese population. In short, they are running out of women there and the dudes are getting desperate.
        sigpic

Comment

Not too sure if going gay in China is solely an act of desparation mind you.
          And I was always under the impression more than one child is allowed, but the government would only support you financially if you only had one child, thus making it preferential.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
            I read somewhere that some Chinese families prefer baby boys, and since they can only have one child, they abandon/kill newborn girls. Apparently, this is creating a gender imbalance within the Chinese population. In short, they are running out of women there and the dudes are getting desperate.
            It's true, though not to the extent you're talking about. Some parents are more inclined to abort girls in favour of boys because they don't carry on the family name, but it's not like there are 10 men to every woman or anything. There's a weird gender imbalance in Russia too but no one seems to know why...

Comment

A little clarification of the topic.

This thread needs to stay about Camille's role on the show. Please don't get into discussions about her as a character. If it turns into a 'camille as a character' discussion, then it'll get merged into an existing character discussion thread.

So, please, have fun, just keep it around her role.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think CAmille WRay mAy be a vile disgusting human being in remission (like Woosley); she worked for the IoA, and we know they've done a lot of questionable things, being an off shoot of the NID.

So you'll probably have eps where she has done things or sanctioned things which may have resulted in the deaths of others. If Ark of Truth is any indication, the IOA still has technological knowledge and know how (after all, Sam wondered how they were able to write a program to control replicators).

So maybe, WRay did a lot of bad things, and maybe some of the people she hurt or caused great pain will try and hurt the ones she love back home.

Comment

The IOA is no off shot of the NID, it is an completely international organisation which was founded after this little incident in Antarctica. They have nothing to do with the NID. It is probably funded by the major nations involved, where I would count in the five security council members, the NATO members and some other nations who got the word somehow. And personally I think Wray won't be of much use in daily business on the Destiny, but as Human Ressources consultant she may know some really annoying facts about the others, at least the civilians and especially Rush. She probably didn't see a file of Eli and most certainly not from Chloe.
                  sigpic
                  A lot of the things that made Stargate awesome, but just with steroids, spread all over it. - Brian J. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                    The IOA is no off shot of the NID, it is an completely international organisation which was founded after this little incident in Antarctica. They have nothing to do with the NID. It is probably funded by the major nations involved, where I would count in the five security council members, the NATO members and some other nations who got the word somehow. And personally I think Wray won't be of much use in daily business on the Destiny, but as Human Ressources consultant she may know some really annoying facts about the others, at least the civilians and especially Rush. She probably didn't see a file of Eli and most certainly not from Chloe.
                    Probably so, but due to their decision to haphazardly use the replicators to take down the ori, not only does that seem conspicuous, but may be an indication of something else rather malicious about their organization as a whole.

Unanswered Questions; What other questionable sanctions did they make?
                    As shown by James Marrick (Ark Of Truth) drastic steps will be taken regardless of those more accessible to poignant facts, [among them: Allowing the replicators newly developed asgard technology may have enabled them to not only defeat the Ori (if only temporarily) but would have allowed them to retrace their steps to the milky way and perhaps even pegasus galaxy.] how many other SG Teams did members of the IOA or their affiliates toss aside or put in jeopardy for the greater good?

I think tptb developed the IOA to become the deus ex machina to replace or through plotted contrivances mimic the autocratic NID. And there is no doubt, they'll go back to this plot point which always keeps on giving.

So maybe for season 1, Camille Wray may be the unassuming personal manager aka human resources, but, in season 2, what other yet to be revealed questionable events she either took part in, or had some knowledge of? And how will this affect her mind set hurdling ever closer towards her eventual finality?

EDit; TpTB, take not if you will.

Comment

Besides the really awkward representation in Ark of Truth I found the organisation refreshingly bringing more realism to the series. Not considering this totally unfitting replicator killing Ori theory, the IOA was more overcautious than jeopardising that many SG-Teams. They are bureaucrats not enemies, they calculate too much, normally uprank risks and don't take many chances and they do all of it very slowly.

I think this AoT IOA is based on the desire of TPTB to bring back the replicators one last time and can't be taken as newly 'malicious' or dark organisation which dooms mankind. I would have liked it much more if it was somehow a single scientist reviving the replicators and not someone with the blessing of the IOA. Also I figured as they are these bureaucrats they haven't got a clue about replicator technology and so they trusted that their scientist could what McKay performed in Pegasus, reprogramming Replicators, but that is just my explanation to make the replicator part of AoT fit somehow in the Stargate universe.
                      sigpic
                      A lot of the things that made Stargate awesome, but just with steroids, spread all over it. - Brian J. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                        Besides the really awkward representation in Ark of Truth I found the organisation refreshingly bringing more realism to the series. Not considering this totally unfitting replicator killing Ori theory, the IOA was more overcautious than jeopardising that many SG-Teams. They are bureaucrats not enemies, they calculate too much, normally uprank risks and don't take many chances and they do all of it very slowly.

I think this AoT IOA is based on the desire of TPTB to bring back the replicators one last time and can't be taken as newly 'malicious' or dark organisation which dooms mankind. I would have liked it much more if it was somehow a single scientist reviving the replicators and not someone with the blessing of the IOA. Also I figured as they are these bureaucrats they haven't got a clue about replicator technology and so they trusted that their scientist could what McKay performed in Pegasus, reprogramming Replicators, but that is just my explanation to make the replicator part of AoT fit somehow in the Stargate universe.

I agree, tptb used them as the go to plot point to believably add an extra measure of danger to the overall mission of the SGC, but i'm thinking they'll probably do this again. Even if they're responsible for nothing more than reaching out a leaf of peace towards the forces of the Ori post AOT.

How many members hadn't been wronged by the IOA due to politics when it comes to punishing guilty parties within the ORI fleet? 'Let's be friends even though you've killed hundreds of our people and millions of our allies, it isn't your fault and we forgive you.'

Imagine the slighted people of the SGC who is a close knit family (along the lines of SG1) for several years, only to see friends burned alive or murdered via prior bugs, only to have the ones responsible absolved of any responsibility.

Comment

And personally I think Wray won't be of much use in daily business on the Destiny
                          Agreed. Wray might know how to fill out insurance forms in her capacity as a HR exec, but that is not a very useful skill on a ship without insurance companies. I can't imagine what useful skills she brings to SGU.

Both Wray and Chloe have the same problem as the Weir character: Not enough useful skills to offer the expedition, so the episodes are naturally focused on other characters.

Characters need to be well-planned, from the beginning, in order to have a long useful life on an action-adventure show. Weir was not well thought out, and Wray and Chloe don't seem to be, either.

I won't be at all surprised to see Wray and Chloe written out of the show at some point, if it continues for several seasons. Or, they could become the focus of soap-opera angst stuff, having multiple affairs and getting pregnant and becoming alcoholics.....
                          The very young do not always do as they are told

Comment

Originally posted by Noxchild View Post
                            Agreed. Wray might know how to fill out insurance forms in her capacity as a HR exec, but that is not a very useful skill on a ship without insurance companies. I can't imagine what useful skills she brings to SGU.
                            She's the Head of the IOA's Human Resource department, not just some exec. Even a cursory glance at what an HR department head does would show you how silly that statement is.

Not to mention, I'd imagine such a role in context of the IOA would be even more substantial with relation to SGU.

Both Wray and Chloe have the same problem as the Weir character: Not enough useful skills to offer the expedition, so the episodes are naturally focused on other characters.
                            It's not an expedition though. It's "the wrong people in the wrong place". Even the military members on the Destiny were not the ones that were going to be on the actual 9th Chevron mission.

This doesn't, however, preclude character development that could lead them all to having very important, distinct roles on the ship.
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Noxchild View Post

Characters need to be well-planned, from the beginning, in order to have a long useful life on an action-adventure show. Weir was not well thought out, and Wray and Chloe don't seem to be, either.

I won't be at all surprised to see Wray and Chloe written out of the show at some point, if it continues for several seasons. Or, they could become the focus of soap-opera angst stuff, having multiple affairs and getting pregnant and becoming alcoholics.....
                              Ah, but this is the beauty of SGU. It is not just an action-adventure show; it will also have a bit more drama in it, which anyone can participate in. There is also no expedition, so instead of focusing on what these people can do, we can focus on who they are as people and how they react to things. After all, you don't have to be a scientist to react to a scientific discovery.

Comment

It's not an expedition though.
                                It might not have been a deliberately planned expedition, but it is a de facto expedition now. And Chloe and Wray don't seem to have many useful skills to offer the group.

Even a cursory glance at what an HR department head does would show you how silly that statement is.
                                In the corporations I've worked in, HR people fill out forms, and not much else. Wray being an HR exec is not very impressive to me.

There is also no expedition, so instead of focusing on what these people can do, we can focus on who they are as people and how they react to things.
                                That sounds like a deadly dull TV show I can't imagine watching for more than one episode. I want to watch people DOING things, not just reacting and watching it happen because they are too stupid/unskilled to take action. I hope you're wrong about what's being planned.
                                The very young do not always do as they are told

Comment

Working...
                                X