This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post
    the issue is can you get that good of reception THAT far away for something SOOO small.
    I dont believe it to be the case, the gate is only a door, in fact the MALP is just on the other side of the event horizon away when you think about it. If two-way radios work, why not a MALP ball?

Its practical, small and stealthy, every SG team member should have one. You never know when you'll have to dial to another gate on a mission, why take the risk?
    Last edited by meo3000; 24 March 2009, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
      If no fancy ancient version of M.A.L.P then stick a video camera to a pole with a computer on the end that isn't pointing out hte other side, and that will be how you get the telemetry
      If you remember "38 Minutes," you'd know that wouldn't work: the camera wouldn't be sent until the entire pole was in the 'Gate, completely negating the desired effect.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

What about using the hologram projection technology.

...if not this, than I 2nd MALP on a stick.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
          ...if not this, than I 2nd MALP on a stick.
          Except, again, it wouldn't work for reasons put forth repeatedly.

If you were kidding, ignore this post.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

I think the ship would have its own probe or already know if the planets are habitable because the seeder ship relays info on the worlds it leaves gates on
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
              Except, again, it wouldn't work for reasons put forth repeatedly.

If you were kidding, ignore this post.
              Except that episode is itself a continuity problem.

In "A Hundred Days", the SGC fired a rope into the gate, and it appeared on the other side before the entire rope entered the Earth gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                I think the ship would have its own probe or already know if the planets are habitable because the seeder ship relays info on the worlds it leaves gates on
                Maybe the seeder ship leaves behind a probe when it deposits a Stargate on a new world. The Destiny just has to access each probe's signal when they approach a planet.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                  What about using the hologram projection technology.

that's a good idea, why does the malp haver to be solid, why can they not just scan through the event horizon?
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Except that episode is itself a continuity problem.

In "A Hundred Days", the SGC fired a rope into the gate, and it appeared on the other side before the entire rope entered the Earth gate.
                    Well, there is a slight difference between a rope and a MALP-on-a-stick or a Puddle Jumper. The rope is homogeneous and the various parts of the rope interact only through elastic forces, etc. However, with a Puddle Jumper (or a MALP-on-a-stick) you have signals sent and received from one end of the device to another: in the Puddle Jumper, you have signals sent from the controls to the engines, and you likely have information sent back from the engines to the controls. The MALP-on-a-stick has a similar problem.

This would explain how something like part of an air hose or of a rope can go through, but half a Puddle Jumper cannot. It is also completely made up, so feel free to ignore it.

A better objection to a MALP on a stick is that matter can travel only one way through a wormhole, so once you send through your "MALP-on-a-stick," the only way to get it back is to go through and get it. Also, even if the MALP-on-a-stick went through, there is no reason to think that the electrical signals on the other side would make it back across the wormhole.

Comment

the way I envision it...they will have a large closet that happens to have a large amount of red shirts...each time they come to a new world...someone dawns one of the red shirts and blindly jumps through the gate to ensure it's safe.

=D
                      It feels good to be alive.
                      Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                        I never understood why they didnt made MALP balls, like a Jaffa grenade, after a few seasons. Equipped with sensors, two-way radio and a camera. Throw it in the gate and use a laptop to receive the telemetry. Just an idea, its not like we dont have the technology today.
                        Did our MALPs have stuff like guns? extra equipment(firstaid) maybe im remembering it wrong, but i coulda swore sometime in the earlier episodes of sg1( 1 to 5) there was a remote control MALP gun. If not why didnt they?

Im sure we'll see some cool Ancient one...

But.... I doubt theyll use the gate as much, and explore the ship moreso...

or hell like the 3 trillion topics suggest... ITs BSG 3.0... so no gate and REALLY POOR character/robot/story development.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Working...
                        X