This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.A.L.P. (or lack of)

I'm guessing that in the frantic rush (see what i did there?) to get from the Icarus base to the Destiny, our new band of heroes won't have chance to pop back home to get ten tons of equipment (like they did for the atlantis expedition)

This will make gate travel all the more risky...how can you tell if the planet you're about to gate to supports life? or that you're not walking into an enemy stronghold? or that the gate isn't in orbit? From the teaser, i didn't see a malp...and even if they did send a malp through, thats ONE malp...lose that and you've got a problem.

So...how do you think the crew of the Destiny will find out what they're getting themselves into? will we get to see the ancient equivalent of a MALP probe!? Will it really be a case of 'cross your fingers and hope' everytime someone step through?

Any thoughts?
    - Ancienty?

MALP on a stick.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by NMacc View Post
      So...how do you think the crew of the Destiny will find out what they're getting themselves into? will we get to see the ancient equivalent of a MALP probe!? Will it really be a case of 'cross your fingers and hope' everytime someone step through?

Any thoughts?
      I seem to remember some mention of new MALPs for Stargate Universe, though I could be wrong about that.

In any case, since the Destiny was supposed to be an automated/semi-automated exploration ship, it would make sense for it to be able to produce its own MALP-like probes.

Thus, the real question is now whether the Ancients used wheels.

Originally posted by Detox View Post
      MALP on a stick.
      XD

Anyway, I present Exhibit A: "38 Minutes."
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I don't see this being a huge problem. Any SG quality engineer could rig up one of the ancient sensor pads to somehow go through the gate and relay information back to them on the other side to make sure they have breathable air and such at a minimum.

I think since this is an exploration ship meant to check out previously seeded planets that some sort of M.A.L.P. would be a necessity.
        sigpic

Comment

I never understood why they didnt made MALP balls, like a Jaffa grenade, after a few seasons. Equipped with sensors, two-way radio and a camera. Throw it in the gate and use a laptop to receive the telemetry. Just an idea, its not like we dont have the technology today.

Comment

i would suppose they will just use the ships

Comment

Seeing as it's an exploration ship, it has its own version of the MALP. Or so Mallozzi would have us believe.

Comment

I'm assuming the Destiny is basically travelling from planet to planet...it can check the planetary conditions of the planet it's orbiting using its own sensors (or so i would imagine) so it might not necessarily have its own malp-like probes. It was unmanned so automating a process of firing a probe into the atmosphere, or sending probes through the gate would seem a bit wasteful

also, when orbiting a planet, the destiny cant use the gate to reach that specific planet. I'll make another assumption and say the Destiny's sensors aren't capable of reaching any and every area of a specific galaxy (it'd be a much shorter trip if it could) so some sort of deep space malp sensor doesn't seem likely.

Create your own malp seems like the best idea so far though Who's taking bets it looks miles better than the existing malps?
                - Ancienty?

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  I seem to remember some mention of new MALPs for Stargate Universe, though I could be wrong about that.

In any case, since the Destiny was supposed to be an automated/semi-automated exploration ship, it would make sense for it to be able to produce its own MALP-like probes.

Thus, the real question is now whether the Ancients used wheels.
                  You're right. Mallozzi stated that there will be a 'new MALP' for the show. I would assume it is a Ancient version of the MALP.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                  and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                    I never understood why they didnt made MALP balls, like a Jaffa grenade, after a few seasons. Equipped with sensors, two-way radio and a camera. Throw it in the gate and use a laptop to receive the telemetry. Just an idea, its not like we dont have the technology today.
                    Agreed. With all of the technolofy we have encountered (Ancient sensors), we still use those big bulky MALPS.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                      Agreed. With all of the technolofy we have encountered (Ancient sensors), we still use those big bulky MALPS.
                      Because they're cool, man!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                        The goa'uld did it with a ball (s01e01) but as far as i can remember, thats the one and only time we saw the fancy little goa'uld sensor ball thingy

A couple of those in the Destiny store cupboards would do me nicely
                        - Ancienty?

Comment

I'm assuming the Destiny is basically travelling from planet to planet...it can check the planetary conditions of the planet it's orbiting using its own sensors (or so i would imagine) so it might not necessarily have its own malp-like probes.
                          Well, there is fairly good reason to think that the Destiny stays in one place and does most of its exploring by Stargate.

Firstly, there is reason to believe that the Destiny explores about one galaxy every year. This means that, assuming that there are about a thousand planets with Stargates in each galaxy, the Destiny has to explore about 2-4 planets per day.

Also, there is the fact that, once the Destiny has "moved on," there is no way to rescue the people left behind, meaning that it likely moved on by traveling to another galaxy.

It was unmanned so automating a process of firing a probe into the atmosphere, or sending probes through the gate would seem a bit wasteful
                          Well, the Destiny's predecessor has been operating unmanned for about ten million years, automatically building and deploying Stargates, so there is no reason to think that such levels of automation was beyond the Ancients' capabilities.

also, when orbiting a planet, the destiny cant use the gate to reach that specific planet.
                          Only relevant if the Destiny is traveling to the planets that it has to explore; if it uses the 'Gate for exploration, it could sit just about anywhere in deep space and dial the planets from there.

I'll make another assumption and say the Destiny's sensors aren't capable of reaching any and every area of a specific galaxy (it'd be a much shorter trip if it could) so some sort of deep space malp sensor doesn't seem likely.
                          "Deep Space MALP sensor"? Also, even if the Destiny's sensors where incapable of reaching "any and every area of a specific galaxy," there is little reason to think that its communications systems couldn't, especially given the fact that the Ancients had invent a communication system capable of reaching halfway across the universe before they even conceived of the Stargates.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                            MALP on a stick.
                            Hey, it's a MALP on a stick; only shows you so much!

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Its been mentioned before that the Destiny has some kind of shuttle, so I assume thats how they'd visit the planets, seeing as they wouldn't be able to gate there (right?).

Comment

Working...
                              X