Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new technology would you like to see in SGU?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    How arrogant of you. Ripoffs are so subjective. Almost everytime a fan says Stargate ripped off Show X I see by their defination of ripoff would mean Show X ripped off Show Y
    Of course.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      How arrogant of you. Ripoffs are so subjective. Almost everytime a fan says Stargate ripped off Show X I see by their defination of ripoff would mean Show X ripped off Show Y
      How so? I'm not the one discussing fans. And yeah, if anything remotely similar to a lightsaber shows up on SGU or any other show, fans will rightly yell RIPOFF.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
        How so? I'm not the one discussing fans. And yeah, if anything remotely similar to a lightsaber shows up on SGU or any other show, fans will rightly yell RIPOFF.
        What doesn't rip off something these days ? Answer that one
        Last edited by TheRandomOne; 19 February 2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Any new techno stuff is great as long as in the next two episodes we don't lose it due to some fanstic mishap. That gets old! Not trying to sound grumpy but in SGA we kept losing so much it was silly! I cannot wait to see what the ship can do!

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
          Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Not trying to sound grumpy but in SGA we kept losing so much it was silly! I cannot wait to see what the ship can do!
            agreed and agreed!

the should have held onto the orion way longer than they did (and used it a lot more as well)

and they should have gotten hold of the brotherhood Z.P.M no matter what the cost, rather than just give up and letting the people keep it.
            Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

what about laser guns

no stop throwing flaming cows at me untill i am finished

laser guns that could also form laser daggers at the end so they have a triple use: laser shots, stun shots, melee daggers

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
                what about laser guns

no stop throwing flaming cows at me untill i am finished

laser guns that could also form laser daggers at the end so they have a triple use: laser shots, stun shots, melee daggers
                Stargate meet Star Wars
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

yes, except that they are used more like a combination of daggers and torches, instead of deflecting lasers

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                    That would be very interesting. The ship, although not opposed to their presence, has its own agenda to fulfill and doesn't particularly care if the "crew" (which it views more as squatters than as its rightful crew) gets ground up in the gears.
                    Exactly, I think it'd be a creative way to keep the show interesting and unpredictable by giving the ship not only a mind of its own, but also a separate agenda. Not just a simple computer voice heard occasionally, but an actual thinking character with its own motivations and goals. That way they could conceivably have interesting stories within the ship itself without necessarily having some kind of disaster or freak happenstance. The whole story could realistically be business as usual for the AI, but a major dilemma or crisis for the stranded team.

As another idea, they could also do episodes addressing moral and ethical concerns as to how far they'd go when attempting to circumvent the AI. It'd clearly be intelligent, but is it really alive? Is there a limit to the tactics they could use? Could they justify, say, attempting to lobotomize it, so that it follows their commands? Though I'm not actually sure how well the current writers would do this kind of story, given their track record on SG-1 and Atlantis being what it is. I'm not sure they'd give the episode the complexity it requires, to show the argument from more than one side. They don't seem to do "Is an AI actually alive or even close enough, and are there obligations as to how to treat it" stories very well. They tend to be fairly simplistic, never examining the question beyond the "it's not biological; therefore it doesn't matter" argument. Technically, they don't have to come down on either side. They could have the moral debate without actually making a decision by simply discovering midway through that the ship can't be operated without the controlling AI. Sort of a forced coexistence.

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                    The one problem is if they know enough about the AI to fix it once it has become infected with a virus, then they also know enough about it to override its core programming and order it to return to Earth.

Also, is just me, or does that episode pitch sound similar to "Dreadnaught"?
                    LOL, good point about the Voyager reference! As a Star Trek fan I should be ashamed of this, but I honestly hadn't thought about "Dreadnought" before you mentioned it. Think of it as an accidental homage.

Actually I got to thinking about it when I was reading the Terminals on Halo 3, and one of them mentioned how the Forerunners had razed dozens of worlds in an attempt to somehow curb the Flood. That got me to thinking in the direction of how the Ancients may have tried to do something similar to prevent their own extinction from the plague in the Milky Way. It would also be an interesting tie in to an era of Stargate history not often mentioned in either of the previous shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
                      Actually I got to thinking about it when I was reading the Terminals on Halo 3, and one of them mentioned how the Forerunners had razed dozens of worlds in an attempt to somehow curb the Flood. That got me to thinking in the direction of how the Ancients may have tried to do something similar to prevent their own extinction from the plague in the Milky Way. It would also be an interesting tie in to an era of Stargate history not often mentioned in either of the previous shows.
                      yeah that would definatly be interesting to see......

Speaking of the Flood, its not exactaly technology but I would'nt mind seeing an virus that has similer effects to what happens when the Flood infect you or the Chimeran Virus from the Resistance Fall of Man series.

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

If its possible some form of mid-way between the Rings and the Asgard style teleporters.

Also some form of Alien language translator, Actual Robots (droids), Mechs/walkers and just elements of technology to be used ion everyday alien culture such as their cars, their tooth brushes, tentacle cleaners ect....
                        sigpic
                        Banner Made By Me for Me
                        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

I would'nt mind seeing some new, futuristic kinds of grenades.

Comment

How about they meet a race that trades in cybernetic attachments and they get some upgrades.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              How about they meet a race that trades in cybernetic attachments and they get some upgrades.
                              its been dun in the episode UPGRADES

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisAssassin View Post
                                I would'nt mind seeing some new, futuristic kinds of grenades.
                                theres not much you can really do with greandes they either blow up and kill or blow up and stun. i cant think of a new fun use for a grenade exept an emp grenade

Comment

Working...
                                X