Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Universe - SciFi Wire: Exclusive: Stargate Universe Concept Art!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

touch screens are stupid because at the end of the day you end up with a screen full of fingerprints and smudges. it will be one hell of a dirty screen. u wont even be able to look at it. i rather have me a wraith screen than any touch screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dioxholster View Post
      touch screens are stupid because at the end of the day you end up with a screen full of fingerprints and smudges. it will be one hell of a dirty screen. u wont even be able to look at it. i rather have me a wraith screen than any touch screen.
      Wraith DO use touch screens. Which is weird, because they have long nails, and I can tell you how annoying touch screens are when you have long nails. Must be somewhat masochistic.
      My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
      Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dioxholster View Post
        And the Ancients, in their infinite wisdon, couldn't come up with a way of runing a damp cloth across the said screen, miraculously removing all that grime.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        What's better about touch screens?
        Haven't you seen the Microsoft Surface videos?

Comment

After spending the day being indifferent to the concepts I can finally say now that I love them. The biggest problem I had with Atlantis was that nothing looked alien, it all looked asif the tauri themselves could've built it, it was all very 'Earth-like', I much prefered the look of MW ancient tech. Now, the shuttle bridge I love, looks very alien and falls into MW technology design very well. The doors, I like, especially the emblem, it looks alot more intune with the Atlantis myth, not the SGA city of atlantis. Corridors, hmm, these are the only part that could do with a bit of change, they're too bland and look too similar to tauri ship corridors. The console, I like this, again different and more 'alien', the only thing I'd change is to hide any wires and looks asif it could do with a good clean lol. Overall, I'm happy, now just need to see the gateroom (if there is one) and the ship itself.

Comment

Actually be honest touch screens are far better than any other control type interface, especially for space vessels.

1. A touch screen in any other part of the vessel could be reconfigure to display any control system. Aka you loose access to the bridge, you just reconfigure engineering touch screens to display bridge controles such as communications, weapons or how about the ship steering wheels.

2. It easy to break keys on a key board. Imaging in the middle of a battle:

Captain: fire those damn drone
            Weapon: sir the weapon key is broke
            Captain: Damn why does that keep on happening.

Whiles with touch screens you just order damn helmsman or any other officer on the bridge to fire the damn weapons.

3: You can reconfigure touch screens to display any languages, and given that languages have habit of evolving over time it would make sense to design a vessel which was design to not be used for millions of years after its construction to be easilly updated to used their race latest language.

Just a few reasons why touch screens are useful for interstellar travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt Do'Urden View Post
              ok so for the "darker edgyer feel" they're just gonna rip off the ship form the origional alien movie... great...
              Then perhaps half the characters will be dead by the time the end credits roll

Comment

Well, one advantage of buttons over a touchscreen is that you can feel them. There's a reason why the "f" and "j" (or "d" and "k") buttons on many qwerty keyboards have little bumps. It makes the keys easier to find. That said, touchscreens are otherwise much more versatile, not to mention cooler and more futuristic.

Comment

Of course, using full neural interphaces would have solved all those problems...

Comment

Overall, I like the concept art. Definitely different, that is for sure. Hopefully we'll get to see more soon.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The interior of the ship sort of reminds me of a cross over between ori class ships and the aurora class-ship.

I guess we can see how their ships evolved from this shuttle ship into an aurora class vessel/ puddle jumpers

I'm actually surprised, it seems from an early level that they put there dhd in their smaller ships i.e. puddle jumpers and now in this image

Mind you it looks great!

NOTE: if this is the shuttle ship, wonder what the mothership will look like- hell what would the WHOLE ship look like

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        Have you seen British architecture over the last 100 years?
                        No, architecture is not my forte. Site some changed British architectural development as it relates to my thoughts and I'll be glad to converse with you about it.

You can be Buckminister Fuller and I'll be Frank Lloyd Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          Actually be honest touch screens are far better than any other control type interface, especially for space vessels.

1. A touch screen in any other part of the vessel could be reconfigure to display any control system. Aka you loose access to the bridge, you just reconfigure engineering touch screens to display bridge controles such as communications, weapons or how about the ship steering wheels.

Whiles with touch screens you just order damn helmsman or any other officer on the bridge to fire the damn weapons.

3: You can reconfigure touch screens to display any languages, and given that languages have habit of evolving over time it would make sense to design a vessel which was design to not be used for millions of years after its construction to be easilly updated to used their race latest language.

Just a few reasons why touch screens are useful for interstellar travel.
                          A general rule about the physics of mechanical technology is that the fewer moving and unnecessarily exposed parts there are the more structurally sound the object (usually) is. So one would expect more moving parts to technology in early Ancient design.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                            Corridors, hmm, these are the only part that could do with a bit of change, they're too bland and look too similar to tauri ship corridors.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post

Yeah and if the touchscreen brokes you can't give any order to the computer.
                              Captain: Fire the weapons
                              Weapon Officer: I can't do that sir, because there is nothing on the touchscreen. Maybe it broke.

but if only one button brokes there are the other buttons.

But I would love to see some touchscreens too.

The design is different from Atlantis but the Destiny had been built much more eariler.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                                One should expect they would develop touchscreens before intergalactic hyperdrives...
                                Why would you say that when their latest technology has various buttons, etc. Look at the controls on Aurora-class ships or even Atlantis itself. A lot of buttons. They were a button race, not a touchscreen race. Lol.

This isn't the Federation here! xD

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                                and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X